weight loss while on Mirena or other hormones possible??

Options
So, lost like 35 lbs the last 2 years or so, but now have gained more then half back since the last 6-7 months or so, very mad at myself!! Anyway, I am now motivated to get it back off but have had to have the Mirena bc of my diagnosis in NOV of endometriosis.. just was inserted about a week or so ago. I have never done great with BC in past so I am very afraid right now of gaining more and/or not being able to lose this I need to lose now... I am gonna work with my Dr office group who helps with weight loss and have an apt tom but will it help or work at all with the hormones in me?? Anyone else have any advice or dealt with this??? Thanks

Replies

• LexiMelo
    LexiMelo Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    The hormones for Morena is localized to your reproductive area. I had mine placed in June and besides the incredible pain had no side effects. The only bummer is that my old BC also prevented acne and now that I am not taking that the acne is back. As a 32 year old woman that is very embarrassing!

Good luck w/your weight loss - remember anything is possible. :glasses:
  • juliasays77
    juliasays77 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I've had a Mirena for 8 years (one for 5 years, took it out & put another one in). I've lost 75 lbs in the last year. So yes, it is possible.

I had some problems with my cycles being really short last year and earlier this year (18-22 days instead of 28) so for several months this year, I was actually on the pill as well as having the Mirena in. The double dose of hormones still didn't keep me from losing weight.
  • ooohboyherewego
    ooohboyherewego Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I never had a problem losing weight with the Mirena, I had it in for 5 years and was able to get to my GW easily.
  • lucybarnes9822
    Options
    Hi I've lost 44lbs since being on the mirena, even though it has hormones it is the lowest dose of all the bc containing hormones. That's why I decided to have it x
  • Mary36
    Mary36 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses.. I hope to be able to be successful too while on it, I just had bad weight gain on all past bc pills I tried.. we will see.. thanks:smile::smile:
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    yes. I have lost 78 lbs with a mirena.
  • EandA85
    EandA85 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have had Mirena for about 2 years now and have lost weight - refer to ticker :-)