Devices and calories burned and accuracy

Options
I was wondering what devices people use to track calories burned and how accurate you feel they are.

Replies

• Leisalynn84
    Leisalynn84 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have ben using a fitbit zip. I have had it for two weeks, I told it I wanted to lose 2lbs a week and so far i have. Seems pretty acurate to me. Although one day I noticed it was logging steps taken while I was driving in slow rush hour traffic. Other than that I really like it!
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    The polar ones have a really good track record for being accurate in terms of calories burned. The only negative thing about the cheaper models such as the ft4 and ft7 is it estimates vo2max rather than do test. On men it does not matter much (single digit errors) but on women it was discovered in a small study that the vo2max can be up to 33% off. However if you apply that vo2max error and account it into calorie error, worse case scenario is is off between 8 and 12% for women on estimated calorie burns, which isn't bad.

The higher end models do self test for vo2max, on males again the error is so small it doesn't really effect calorie error much but on females it lowers the error to 12% from 33% (this is vo2max error, calorie error will be very small). The ones that do self test for vo2max are ft40 and up.

The only other thing you have to keep in mind with hrm is they don't take off what you would have burned naturally, but for most people that is not that many calories.

Here are some interesting topics worth reading on the myfitnespal forums.

Setting up your polar hrm to be more accurate:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/548645-setup-polar-hrm-for-more-accurate-calorie-burn-for-known-bmr

Link to the small study:
    http://www.setantacollege.com/wp-content/uploads/Journal_db/Accuracy of Polar S410 Heart Rate Monitor.pdf

Again though, the study was very small. There have been many people on these forums who have sworn by their hrm accuracy.

Also keep in mind that when you do check ins on myfitnesspal you should also adjust your watch on your hrm, so that it has your most up to date information, otherwise the calorie burn will be off because your info is outdated.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I've used a New Balance N4 HRM for around 2 years, and consistently lost the fat and made progress. Just picked up a Fitbit Zip about two weeks ago, and have been pleased with it so far. Seems to agree with the HRM for calorie burns on walks and running, and for the TDEE figures I've been working with for the past couple of years.

So thumbs up for the N4 and the Fitbit Zip. :bigsmile:
  • knucklesammie
    knucklesammie Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    i use the polar FT4 and i love it. sometimes when i am doing floor work like planks and plan variations i have issues with it disconnecting from the heart rate monitor - which is something i have heard others complain about too. but it doesn't happen often and i absolutely love it. it is really motivating to see it right on your wrist what you are burning. for me personally, it always pushes me to work out longer bc i like seeing that number climb up :D
  • aluethi1
    aluethi1 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit force. I think it's pretty accurate. I love that it even counts the calories you burn by breathing. And the alarm and sleep quality funstions are awesome. :)

It counts walking uphill as climbing flgihts of stairs, though I think it may be off on how many flights is equal to how much uphill walking. Then again, I could just be underestimating the amount of uphill walking I have to do.