barre classes

anyone taken a barre class to work out? i know there are a lot of variations of this type of exercise (ballet mixed with some Pilates and yoga)...pure barre, barreamped, etc. just looking for some tips, advice, opinions on this type of exercise. i took my first class the other day. it was 1 hour long and it was INTENSE. my legs were shaking, i was extremely sore the next day, and i had sweat dripping off my face. i really enjoyed it but it is very expensive! the studio i am currently looking into offers a 6 month membership of $129 a month...single classes are $18 a piece. i know it's a lot to spend but if i commit to 3-4 classes a week then the classes are essentially $10 a piece instead of the $18 single. seems worth it, right? thanks in advance :)

Replies

• cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    There are several threads on barre right now :) I think it's an amazing workout! You probably saw (and felt) what it's like well enough to decide. Be careful with the plies if you have knee problems that can be aggravated by repetition of movements like that. My knees are like that, so I just releve for most of the reps instead, but that can be embarrassing in a class setting ;) Hey, I still do it, but just think of what you'd do if your knees started bugging you and you've committed to a package.

Other problems folks can run into are hip issues (from the turnout and tendons, usually) and very sore calves, lol!

I can't do it every other day (but my joints/tendons have issues). I have to take one more day off from it (or do less time). Check out what your recovery time is and go from there. 4 days a week is doable for many, but for many they need a bit more time in between :)
  • robynn412
    robynn412 Posts: 97 Member
    I just took my 6th class last night...it has been a killer, but I'm loving it! I was inspired by my sister who started as a barre participant 2 years ago, and is now an instructor...she completely transformed her body, so I decided to give it a go.

Like you, I wasn't sure because it is pretty pricey...my studio charges $16 for a single class. I did their buy 1, get 1 free to start...and now am on their new client 1st month unlimited classes for $99...my goal is 14 classes w/in this month, and so far so good. I've committed to 3x/week, and once this month is up will purchase the class packages...more classes = cheaper per class price.

Already after 6 classes, I'm improving...some of the sequences and holds are truly torture, but it feels so great after! Although I've felt ridiculous at some point of every class, I've made it through. There's never been anything I couldn't do, although certainly not as gracefully or as long as others, but the fact that I'm making it through those 60 minutes is a victory and very motivating to continue. It's amazing how much sweat is dripping when it doesn't seem like much cardio is occurring.

I feel stronger already and now if I can just get my eating in order think I will see great results on the scale and measuring tape.

Keep at it...and keep posting...great to have somebody else just starting out with it too. :happy: