Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Great post, boo boo.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    Very Strong Post, This carries over to every faucet of life .
  • GreyhoundGuru
    GreyhoundGuru Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this story.
    I can't tell you how much I enjoyed it (and related to it).

You really should be writing a blog :-). You are an excellent writer!
  • Mellyajc
    Mellyajc Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Yes.

I see the whole Golden Rule thing is backwards, we need to start by treating ourSELVES the way we want to be treated.

I grew up with an academic identity. School came easy, and so I thought everything was supposed to. I was terrified of being a "wannabe". At anything. A wannabe athlete. A wannabe singer. A wannabe fashionable person. I'd just get laughed at for trying, wouldn't I?

I kind of regret watching so many sitcoms as a kid as maybe that was an influence. Not that I was never bullied or laughed at, but the fear of it was much greater and drove my actions a lot more.

The thing is..not everything comes easy. And that means it never will, it means you'll have to work at it. And it's okay to do that. You have to dare to dream before you can fulfill them. Even in high school...yes, I was overweight and nerdy. That didn't mean I couldn't also be an athlete. My perception was much harsher than anything the other kids could hold, and in reality, they probably didn't care that much about that invisible girl in the corner. NOW I'd much rather be out there trying than never having the experience or opportunity to succeed because of fear.
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Not only a great post but I think that just made my favorite quotes list "it's all about you boo boo"
  • ssaraj43
    ssaraj43 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    A flower for you boo-boo....:flowerforyou:
  • Chrissee
    Chrissee Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm compelled to add to the many others...Great post! Right on target! It's all about us and we are the only ones who can decide what is best for us as well as commit to it! Thanks bards33!
  • ashleyplus3
    ashleyplus3 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Thanks for an awesome post!
  • MsMarlaJean
    MsMarlaJean Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Excellent post! YES I think you should also blog it! I'm glad scottyg70 recommended it in his profile thread-Thanks Scotty! And thank you OP!
  • MsMarlaJean
    MsMarlaJean Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Oops double post...sorry 'bout that!
  • AsianSuperfly
    AsianSuperfly Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hey OP I would like to follow you to see how far you take your goals.
  • MNBardsley
    MNBardsley Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    @ Anelda Yea, we live in downtown and only a semi-sketchy jog under the 408 overpass to hit Lake Eola! Loving the new art they have been putting up except for that weird white eye thing in front of the Waverly...

@mellyajc
    NOW I'd much rather be out there trying than never having the experience or opportunity to succeed because of fear.

Preach! If you're not failing, then you aren't trying. Heard something that said "Success is defined as getting up just one more time than the number of times you've been knocked down".

@AsianSuperfly I'd love the company! I'll add ya!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    "I wrote this post because most of us have no clue why we fail at getting fit."

Because people are lazy and give themselves excuses. This is evident in the fact that when sections of people say they are now starting a weight loss plan, they then blame other things such as metabolism when it doesnt work. So when they lose weight it is all self-credit, but when they dont it isnt their fault.

Fitness admittedly is challenging but then again, isnt that a good thing?
  • HappyGladGal
    HappyGladGal Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Great advice. Thanks :smile:
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Be careful who you take advice from. Find someone who has completed the same journey you are on and ask advice from them. For the same reason I don't take money advice from someone deep in consumer debt is the same reason I choose fitness advice carefully. Even your fit best friend may not know how you should get in shape if she has never been "unfit". Use your friends and family for their love and support but figure out your game plan from someone who knows what is going to work best for you.

I'd be careful with this - not everyone who has gotten results is...

1) Honest about how they got them (HUGE issue in fitness community)
    2) Aware exactly how they got them (too many variables)

Also, you should be careful invalidating someone's claims due to their circumstance. I find it is better to actually focus on the claims people are making (whether they are super fit or not) rather than their personal situation or characteristics.

Besides that - greta post Boo Boo :happy: :drinker:
  • scottyg70
    scottyg70 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    bump
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Be careful who you take advice from. Find someone who has completed the same journey you are on and ask advice from them. For the same reason I don't take money advice from someone deep in consumer debt is the same reason I choose fitness advice carefully. Even your fit best friend may not know how you should get in shape if she has never been "unfit". Use your friends and family for their love and support but figure out your game plan from someone who knows what is going to work best for you.

It would help if my family was supportive. >.>

Great post though!
  • LabrakaDebra
    LabrakaDebra Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    just want to say thanks for the insightful and motivating post!
  • Fragilebird24
    Fragilebird24 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Great post!
  • KristinaB83
    KristinaB83 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Wonderful words of wisdom!