Formula for the correct calories burned

Options
Just a little tip for figuring out your caloried burned while on the treadmill or other types of machines that give you "mileage"

Your body weight X .73 = your calories burned per mile

So say you are 200

200 X .73=146 now take that times you mileage... 3 miles =438

For a ellpitical take it times 2

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    This is only a rough estimate at best as it ignores heart rate, time and intensity. I will burn more running 3 miles than walking it, and the elliptical calculation is wrong, you may burn more on an elliptical but by no means double.

If you don't have a HRM I would stick with MFP's calculation as it takes into account weight, age, time, speed, and gender.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Does that .73 figure work for both walking and jogging on the treadmill? Would it be similar for walking outdoors, like on a trail?
  • brunettegoddess
    brunettegoddess Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks Eric!!
  • mrtrik
    mrtrik Posts: 31
    Options
    Take that with a grain of salt.

I'd think that formula may be "close enough" for jogging on a flat surface (treadmill up to 1%?).

Walking is also lower than that... probably closer to 0.4 calories x weight in lbs.

But again, intensity, difficulty (grade, surface), heck even temperature make it variable.

All that said, I use MFP's #'s as a general guideline as I feel it's pretty accurate.
  • roobers
    roobers Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    For me, it's approx 100 cals per mile running and 60 cals moderate pace walking, measured many times with an hrm, and not much different outside to treadmill.
  • ashten2006
    Options
    I invested in a heart rate monitor and I love it...It gives you accurate calories burned and your heart rate through your whole workout..I use to use the formula and I realized after using the monitor and that it was off by about 96 calories and ever since using the Myfitness pal I need to know my exact calories burned...I also use to go by what the machine said and realized after calling the company PRECOR that their machines over exaggerate the calorie counter to get people to keep using the machines. I feel that as long as your working out and doing something that gets your heart rate up then your on the right path.

Good luck to all
  • TennVolsGal
    TennVolsGal Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Thanks!