under calories and weight loss

Options
I've noticed that I'm always coming in under my calorie limit almost every single day. In fact I'm about 800-1000 under per week. Could this be impacting my weight loss any? Thanks.

Replies

• vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    how many calories are you eating?

but no, eating below your calorie limit will not hinder weight loss.

less calories = losing weight

if you eat way too little calories, say 500-1000 per day, every day, for weeks or months on end, your metabolism slows down, it goes into a sort of 'starvation mode'. (beware, starvation mode is exaggerated on this site, some people will tell you any time you eat less than 1000 calories your in 'starvation mode' but this is bs, it has to be prolonged for weeks or months.)

so, if you are regularly getting more than 1000 calories, even if sometimes your below that, you'll lose weight just fine.

you should be eating enough to have the energy to exercise and be active though. it would be counter-productive if you ate so little you couldn't even do anything.
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    my goal is 1600 but i'm always under that expect for Sundays which for some reason i'm almost always over... i think it's the family dinner and dessert lol!! I generally strive for 1500 or so and I work out 3 times a week, cardio and weight training.
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    What was your goal for the week? In terms of pounds loss you put into myfitnesspal? If you put 2 pounds and this is the net they give you I would try to reach the weekly total (its ok to go over or under some days).

To be honest its perfectly fine from the sounds of it though because as long as you do not go below 1200 net (intake - burn), then your body should be getting the fuel it needs.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    The more fat you carry around on your body, the more easily you can get away with a large caloric deficit without consequence. If you're hitting 1500 most days and working out a bit, that sounds perfect. You could probably go a bit higher and still lose, but I wouldn't do that unless you find 1500 is too little.
  • xomorganjc
    xomorganjc Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    It doesn't take weeks or months to go into starvation mode. My body shut down and I was hospitalized only after a couple of days. However, I wasn't drinking water and I was also dehydrated so this could have sped up the process of starvation.