Low calorie but filling breakfast?

Options
I'm having trouble finding a quick low calorie, filling breakfast. I'm looking for something savory but I'm a vegetarian (lacto-ovo so I do eat eggs!) and everything I try still leaves me hungry! Any suggestions?

Replies

• vanillabananas
    vanillabananas Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    How many calories or less are you looking at?
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    If I have breakfast, I often make a Vega One shake (135 calories). It's vegan, but I add greek yogurt, and sometimes a banana. Pretty filling!

And super quick to make, I have a $10 blender from amazon: http://www.amazon.ca/Hamilton-51103C-Single-Serve-Blender-Travel/dp/B002V8ZEXW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390444933&sr=8-1&keywords=hamilton+beach+blender

could not be simpler! takes 10 seconds.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I've used a scoop of vegan protein powder with half a carton of silken tofu to make vanilla pudding. I put it into individual little cups with lids to grab on the go. Maybe that could work for breakfast since it has such a high protein count and might stick with you longer.
  • naomijuliette96
    naomijuliette96 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    1/3 cup of oatmeal (uncooked) and 1 tbsp of peanut butter. 200 calories and keeps me full for hours!
  • AashkaM
    Options
    I'm looking for 300 calories or less. The problem is that I don't like anything sweet for breakfast. I'm looking for something savory!

Thanks for the help!
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for 300 calories or less. The problem is that I don't like anything sweet for breakfast. I'm looking for something savory!

Thanks for the help!

Two or three eggs fried or scrambled with Spinach and peppers and whatever else you throw at it and a piece of toast.

Rigger
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    Quinoa Muffins

1 cup quinoa (cooked it equals about 3 cups)
    6 egg whites
    2 cups shredded cheese
    1-2 cups chopped fresh spinach
    (if you like, you can saute some other veggies to add to this: tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, peppers, etc.)
    salt/pepper/other herbs and spices as you like

Cook the quinoa, then add the other other ingredients to it and mix well. Spoon into greased muffin tins and bake at 350* for about 20 minutes until the tops start to get browned and crunchy. It makes between 12-15 depending on how many veggies you put in them.

I made them with tomatoes, spinach, mushrooms, and colby jack cheese and they're about 110 calories per "muffin."
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    1/3 cup of oatmeal (uncooked) and 1 tbsp of peanut butter. 200 calories and keeps me full for hours!

This! I like to chop up half of a banana in mine also.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I like grits with an egg on top. The carbs and fiber in grits and protein in egg really keep me full until lunch.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Light English muffin (or a low-cal wrap bread, etc.), Laughing Cow cheese wedge (or ~1/2oz regular cheese), an egg or two, dry-sauteed greens. Eat as a sandwich or as fried eggs over greens with toast & cheese on the side.
  • hkristine1
    hkristine1 Posts: 950 Member
    Options

Is there a nutritional reason to not cook the oatmeal, or is just about the texture?
  • kingtermite
    kingtermite Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Quinoa Muffins

1 cup quinoa (cooked it equals about 3 cups)
    6 egg whites
    2 cups shredded cheese
    1-2 cups chopped fresh spinach
    (if you like, you can saute some other veggies to add to this: tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, peppers, etc.)
    salt/pepper/other herbs and spices as you like

Cook the quinoa, then add the other other ingredients to it and mix well. Spoon into greased muffin tins and bake at 350* for about 20 minutes until the tops start to get browned and crunchy. It makes between 12-15 depending on how many veggies you put in them.

I made them with tomatoes, spinach, mushrooms, and colby jack cheese and they're about 110 calories per "muffin."
    That sounds delicious. I'm going to have to try that.

I often do a quick fry of 3 or 4 eggs by themselves. It's usually under 300 calories. I also make a daily juice that I take to work and if I get hungry mid-morning, I'll have a juice as a snack.
  • hkristine1
    hkristine1 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I really like cottage cheese & peaches for breakfast, and it tends to keep me full for several hours (I also drink a lot of water with it). For more savory, you could put cucumbers/tomatoes, etc instead of peaches.
  • misti777
    misti777 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I like to make two pieces of toast with butter and a fried egg. Pretty filling for breakfast and is around 350 cals, give or take.
  • CaseyM1985
    CaseyM1985 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I eat 2 Honey Oat or Whole Wheat eggos with a bit of honey on top :)

(and I think it's delicious!)
  • wow29
    wow29 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    bump
  • page8040
    page8040 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    A birds nest with guacamole on top & a banana on the side.
  • JamieBeth19
    JamieBeth19 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I always make a batch of whole wheat blueberry pancakes. They are about 160 cals. I use Smuckers sugar free syrup, its about 20 cals.
  • CelebrityStatus
    CelebrityStatus Posts: 84 Member
    Options

Is there a nutritional reason to not cook the oatmeal, or is just about the texture?

I could be wrong, but I think she meant that the uncooked is just because the measure is uncooked (1/3 of a cup of oats pre-cooking) since the amount after cooking depends completely on how "wet" you like your oatmeal... I prefer mine almost soup, but lots of people prefer it much thicker.