Uncomfortable bloating; please help!

Options
After noticing that I on average consume about 15-20 grams of fiber each day, I chose to take a supplement.

I started taking two Fiber Well (vitafusion) weigh management gummies (5g fiber total) each morning 5 days ago and have noticed that I have had uncomfortable bloating and gas. Is this normal when you first begin to take a fiber supplement?

I have also increased my water consumption to 8-12 glasses each day so could it possibly be me retaining water?

Any help would be awesome!

Thanks! :)

Replies

• jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Since I don't know what kind of fiber were ingesting through food (and scientists still cannot agree on the different effects between soluble and insoluble and in fact, keep renaming them due to that disagreement) it may be that the supplements are providing a type of fiber your body was not used to. Try cutting back to half what you're taking for a week and see if the bloating goes down. Then ease back up to the full dosage after symptoms have subsided to give your digestive system time to adjust to the new level. I'm assuming you do not have Celiac or a gluten intolerance from the gluten used to make most gummy supplements.
  • MrsJS5
    MrsJS5 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Look and see if anything you are eating or the supplements contain any fake sugars or fibers. Maltitol and other sugar alcohols are added as "natural" fake sugar and a lot of people have trouble digesting them. Inulin, chicory root extract and other fibers are also difficult to digest. Splenda/sucralose is also notorious for causing gas and bloating (some of the online stories are hilarious). Check anything you are eating for these additives. Try to get all your fiber from fruits, veggies, and complex carbs.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Excess fiber can cause problems. You diary is not open so I will have to assume that the new supplements are the problem. Unless you had a constipation problem before starting the supplements, I suggest stopping them. I don't believe our bodies adjust to excess fiber, so I don't believe your body will adjust after time.
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Fiber can cause gas and bloating. Make sure when you take them you drink at least 8-12oz of water with them.
  • angel_of_harmony
    angel_of_harmony Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Since I don't know what kind of fiber were ingesting through food (and scientists still cannot agree on the different effects between soluble and insoluble and in fact, keep renaming them due to that disagreement) it may be that the supplements are providing a type of fiber your body was not used to. Try cutting back to half what you're taking for a week and see if the bloating goes down. Then ease back up to the full dosage after symptoms have subsided to give your digestive system time to adjust to the new level. I'm assuming you do not have Celiac or a gluten intolerance from the gluten used to make most gummy supplements.

Thanks for your advice! Nope I do not have any allergies or intolerance from gluten. I will try your method and see how I feel in a week. :)
  • angel_of_harmony
    Options
    Look and see if anything you are eating or the supplements contain any fake sugars or fibers. Maltitol and other sugar alcohols are added as "natural" fake sugar and a lot of people have trouble digesting them. Inulin, chicory root extract and other fibers are also difficult to digest. Splenda/sucralose is also notorious for causing gas and bloating (some of the online stories are hilarious). Check anything you are eating for these additives. Try to get all your fiber from fruits, veggies, and complex carbs.

Now that you mention it; I did notice that they are labeled sugar free. I have never had a problem with artificial sugars, but do limit my diet to only stevia. After checking the label they do contain sucralose; I will be doing some more research. Thanks for the tip!
  • angel_of_harmony
    Options
    Fiber can cause gas and bloating. Make sure when you take them you drink at least 8-12oz of water with them.

I take them in the morning with my multi-vitamin so always drink at least 8oz water.
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Slowly increase fiber consumption. Fiber causes gas and bloat if you are not used to it.
  • Fenrissa
    Fenrissa Posts: 116
    Options
    It's probably from the fiber supplement.
  • iwantmydenimback
    iwantmydenimback Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Sounds like sugar alcohols. Those things destroy me, I just eat reasonable amounts of things with real sugar and avoid them completely.

You might want to try Benefiber, it's basically Metamucil but its flavorless so you can put it in pretty much anything. No sugar or sugar alcohols and I've never had a problem with it causing bloat for me. Perhaps cut back to one gummy a day for a week or so and see if that helps? Then you can identify the culprit and work to find other alternatives. Good luck, and I hope your tummy feels better!
  • MrsJS5
    MrsJS5 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Stevia can cause issues too but really look at the sucralose (which is Splenda). Years ago when I was doing Weight Watchers, they really encourage the sugar free items and I noticed I was getting really bloated. I went online and looked for sucralose - bloating issues. The stories were funny (or sad). One guy said he almost blew a hole in his sofa the gas was so bad. I guess for some of us, the bacteria in our lower intestine goes crazy when they try to digest an unfamiliar food additive.

I was using Plant Fusion protein powder after lifting and I just felt bloated and uncomfortable hours after drinking it. It contained stevia and some people just can't tolerate it. I stopped using any sugar substitutes and fiber additives and I feel much better.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    I use metamucil capsules. Just pysillum husk in them. I take 5 every morning with 8 oz of water, then i drink another 8 oz of herbal tea.. (Now I take them to manage my irritable bowel syndrome-at doctors suggestion)
    If the gummies are causing problems you may want to try this type.
  • SergeantNarwhal
    SergeantNarwhal Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of food allergies and bloating often comes with this. So I have a few solutions that really help. First, make sure you have the tools to maintain a healthy gut for healthy movements. I do this by taking probiotics and eating high fiber foods like chia seeds. I love this little product called "Chia Squeeze" that has tons of fiber; evening primrose oil can also help if bloating persists, but I'm NOT a healthcare professional, so do a bit of research about the latter. Second, I drink a glass of warm lemon water every morning which is GREAT for digestion. And lastly doing yoga asanas that include light twists and release the lower back help me a lot. I hope this is helpful. I've dealt with bloating so, so much, I know how annoying it is!!
  • tryin08
    tryin08 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    For quick relief of the bloating feeling, drink hot water with fresh squeezed lemon.