Re my FitBit Flex

Options
Ok, so I've been using my new FitBit Flex for about a week and a half now and I love it!!! It's very motivational and helps encourage me to be more active on a daily basis. My question is this...I have linked it to my MFP account and I was wondering if anyone else knows how accurate the calories are. For example, today it says that I have an extra 400 and some odd calories from being active. Obviously I'm not going to eat those calories, that's not the point of having burned them in the first place, but I was just wondering is the FitBit an accurate source of how many active calories you are burning per day? Thanks for the input.

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I've only had my Zip for a few weeks, but so far am finding it's calorie numbers accurate.

As for eating back exercise cals - that's how MFP works, and especially with a device like a Fitbit which is more accurate than going with estimated burns in MFP's database, you can eat those cals back.

The daily calorie goal that MFP has given you already has you at a deficit - meaning you can eat all those calories every day, do zero exerise and you'll still lose weight. Burning off more cals through exercise creates a much larger deficit, too large, which can do you more harm than good in the long run.

Go with what the Fitbit and MFP tell you - food is fuel, eat those cals and fuel your body properly and it will function well, fueling you for daily life and exercise, and dropping the unwanted fat.

Good luck!
  • katielampkin56
    katielampkin56 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Ok, my daily recommended calories from MFP is 2290 right now (I set my goal for half a pound a week...that way I can only be happy if I do better). So, if FitBit says I burned 400 calories and now adjusts my caloric intake for 2690 then I should go with the 2690? Just making sure I understand that correctly. Thanks so much for your response.
  • kender54
    kender54 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    The issue I have when it comes to the Flex is that it counts all arm movement as exercise. I've started taking it off when I'm sitting at my desk so that it doesn't add steps. So my question to you is; Do you use your arms a lot while not walking? If so, I would definitely suggest NOT eating all of those calories back because a lot of the "burned calories" are not actually burned calories.
  • katielampkin56
    katielampkin56 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I actually don't wear it on my arm. I keep it in my pocket. I have a tendency to hold my arms still a lot. I carry things, put my hands in my sweatshirt pocket, fold my arms, or just fold my hands in front of me and play with my nails. The only time I ever really swing my arms while walking is if I'm doing purposeful concentrated exercise walking.
  • dixoncrew
    dixoncrew Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Ok, my daily recommended calories from MFP is 2290 right now (I set my goal for half a pound a week...that way I can only be happy if I do better). So, if FitBit says I burned 400 calories and now adjusts my caloric intake for 2690 then I should go with the 2690? Just making sure I understand that correctly. Thanks so much for your response.

Sounds like you customized your calorie goals to include exercise calories so you would not eat those back.
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Losingthedamnweight Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Since you have an wristband based tracker, I'd say be verrrrrry cautious listening to those numbers it's telling you. There have been articles about the flex vs the fitbit one and accuracy issues and people have found the flex to be as much as a few thousand steps off, which really messes up your calories. Glad I got my one. I'd say for you, either don't eat extra exercise calories or eat only half
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    2700 calories for weight loss sounds crazy high. And I agree with being careful about relying on numbers from a wrist-worn Fitbit in your pocket, though I think it'd undercount movement there, if anything. If it's new I might consider exchanging it for a One, if you really think wrist measures will be off for you. A lot of people say they aren't for them, though. They'll walk carrying things or whatever and see what it records to tell.