Bodypump. Good for toning?

Options
Does anyone do Bodypump classes at their gym, how often, and have you had good results?

Replies

• ken_m
    ken_m Posts: 128
    Options
    Define toning
  • AngelTwin27
    AngelTwin27 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Definitely good for you! Two or three times per week is ideal for best results and increasing your weights as you go makes a huge difference over time as well.

I've seen great results in myself and also huge transformations in other people who do only Pump classes as their weight training, plus group fitness is much more fun and motivating than grunting it out on your own in the gym... ;-)
  • snowbear1005
    snowbear1005 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I loved Body Pump, but I jumped right in after not doing any weight training for several years and ended up hurting myself. I couldn't do it more than twice a week with 3-4 days rest in between. It was very intense even with light (or no) weights.

My goal now is to build my endurance and strength up over the next several months and then join another Body Pump or Bootcamp class.
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I used to do it and it was great!!! Not started again recently as trying to improve my general fitness before going back as it is quite intense. But I will definitely be going back before summer!
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I've taken it before. I like group classes and it used to be on my gym schedule right after cycle. I always considered it cardio.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    With the amount of reps done for exercises, it's focuses more on muscular endurance. "Toning" really has no definition because it's subjective. What one thinks is "toned" is considered "skinny" or "soft" by someone else who already thinks they're "toned". And vice versa.

Lift weights to increase strength and "harden" your muscles. That's not done by endless reps, but by challenging the muscle for about 5-10 reps each set.

That said, Bodypump is great for people who are intimidated by weight lifting and who enjoy group classes. But from my experience, Bodypump alone (without weight work outside of the class) doesn't yield great results from many of the people I see taking it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • wheezeybouncer
    wheezeybouncer Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    love my pump class. but i do wish i could get to at least one more. that said i have seen improvements- albeit small- over the few months I've been going
  • Agnes_084
    Agnes_084 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Bodypump is great!! I would get bored and likely lazy if I was weight lifting on my own. Plus you don't have to wait around for someone to get done with the equipment you want to use. Also, it's a great workout with the number of consecutive reps you do. They change it up every so often too, so it challenges your muscles in new ways. The results are great- I noticed a big difference in my performance in playing sports and other physical activities just when I was doing it 1-2 times a week. Definitely less flabby too. It is intense but after youve been to one class, you'll catch on quickly. Speaking from experience- if you haven't had some strength training before, you'll be quite sore after your first time. But it's in a good way :)