PROTEIN SUPPLERMENTS HELP :)

Options
I was thinking of buying whey protein because I sometimes have trouble meeting my daily protein intake. I eat well though, and lots of eggs/fish/nuts, but for the purpose of leaning down I need to up my protein. I saw some supplements on the Chemist Warehouse website (I live in Australia), but not sure which ones I need or would be good for me.

If you guys could recommend any whey protein products, that would be great!

Replies

• PudgyFellow123
    PudgyFellow123 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I was thinking of buying whey protein because I sometimes have trouble meeting my daily protein intake. I eat well though, and lots of eggs/fish/nuts, but for the purpose of leaning down I need to up my protein. I saw some supplements on the Chemist Warehouse website (I live in Australia), but not sure which ones I need or would be good for me.

There's generally 2 types of whey protein, concentrate and isolates. Isolates have a higher count of protein and less of everything else, usually about 92% protein. I have tried a few brands, but currently on Optimum Nutrition, 100% Gold Standard. good value for money $NZD119 for 5lbs. Best selling protein at the moment, globally.

Curious, though. What is your daily protein goal?
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    What about chicken, pork, or Greek yogurt? I like Trutein, as far as protein powders. Just now picked up a tub of ON cookies and cream because I'm almost out of my chocolate peanut butter cup Trutein. ;) I've heard a lot of people like ON for taste, too.
  • PudgyFellow123
    Options
    What about chicken, pork, or Greek yogurt? I like Trutein, as far as protein powders. Just now picked up a tub of ON cookies and cream because I'm almost out of my chocolate peanut butter cup Trutein. ;) I've heard a lot of people like ON for taste, too.

real food protein sources above all else, for sure. But it's a supplement for a reason :)

I tried the cookies and cream, flavour and found out it had HFCS in it. I'm very anti high fructose corn syrup, so I stay away from certain flavours. Double chocolate for me.
  • togmo
    togmo Posts: 257
    Options
    I too live in Australia and have tried a lot of different protein powders.

Basically you have two choices to make before you can decide what you want.

Firstly what sort of protein do you want? Most people go for a WPC or WPI protein which is the whey protein you talk off. There are lots of other types of protein but these are the most common and generally the cheapest. WPI is simply a more refined, higher protein version of WPC from what I can gather which also makes it a little more expensive.

The next choice you have to make is whether you like your protein to be flavoured or whether you want to flavour it yourself. Another big decision is how much artificial sweetener you want to consume. The tastier ones like Musclepharm or Optimum Nutrition are sweetened with artificial sweetener, primarily splenda aka sucralose (955). These however are tasty with milk or water whereas the naturally sweetened or unflavoured whey powders are not as tasty. The advantage however with a natural unsweetened, unflavoured protein powder is that you can make your own flavour. I mix mine with about 25g (two big desertspoons) of milo in the blender with a cup of milk and about 6 ice cubes. If you are going to go down this route though there are the extra calories from your added flavourings you have to take into account - in the case of that shake it is a little over 400cals per serve!

I have a bit of both myself because I am trying to limit my artificial sweetener intake - I notice pretty much all the yummy protein products are sweetened with artificial sweetener and have all sorts of other things in them that I am not sure you should consume too much off like the HFCS that pudgy speaks off but they do this because they can give you more tasty protein with no or few carbs and therefore contain less calories per serve.

The best Australian trial site for protein powders that I have found is venom protein
    ( http://venomprotein.com.au/catalog/venom-flavour-sample-c-18.html?osCsid=eaao31i5gl5v6ndkdq8tgslm16 ).
    There are 10 different flavoured protein powder sachets for you in that pack delievered for only $20. This will give you a great starting point to figure out what flavours you like - these are artificially sweetened but everything is good in moderation - right?

There are lots of good stores around that sell protein powders and lots of good sites online, like venom or suppsrus.com.au. The cheapest protein is the natural unsweetened stuff which I purchase at professional whey in 1kg bags at a basement price
    ( https://professionalwhey.com.au/ )

Hope this about answers all your questions. If you have any more please feel free to ask.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options

real food protein sources above all else, for sure. But it's a supplement for a reason :)

I tried the cookies and cream, flavour and found out it had HFCS in it. I'm very anti high fructose corn syrup, so I stay away from certain flavours. Double chocolate for me.

Explain the evils of HFCS to me? I'm unaware and everything I eat contains it and I've not had any negative effects. Preferably I'd like links to real studies and sources rather than opinion.
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options

All-natural, pasture-fed cows' whey, NOT pesticide-treated, grain-fed cows' whey

Compared to grain-fed cows, pasture-fed cows produce whey that:

Is nutritionally superior to grain fed

Contains an impressive amino acid and immuno-supportive nutrient profile

Is rich in healthy fats--lipolic acid and CLA (conjugated linoleic acid)

best whey protein from grass-fed cows
    GMO-free whey

Choose whey made without GMOs.

Cold processed, NOT heat processed

Most whey is heat processed which:

Makes the whey acidic and nutritionally deficient

Damages the immuno-supportive micronutrients and amino acids

Makes whey inadequate for consumption

Cold processed whey protects the nutrients in their natural state.

Acid-free processing, NOT Acid / Ion Exchange Processing

Acid / Ion Exchange Processing is cheaper than acid-free processing, but it denatures the amino acid profiles by using acids and chemicals to separate the whey from the fats.

Whey protein concentrate, NOT protein isolates
    Protein isolates are proteins stripped away from their nutritional cofactors. There are three problems with that...

All isolates are exposed to acid processing.
    Your body cannot assimilate proteins in isolated form.
    Due to over-processing, isolates are deficient in key amino acids and nutritional cofactors.
    You must make sure you get whey protein concentrate instead of protein isolates, which are an inferior product.

When you remove fat, you actually remove components of its immunological properties, such as phospholipids, phosphatidylserine, and cortisol. Additionally, all of the igG immunoglobulins, which are an excellent source of glutamine and cysteine, are also bound to the fat globule. Fat provides not only calories; most foods rich in healthful fat – including nuts and seeds like almonds and chia – are carriers of antioxidants, such as vitamin E and phytosterols.

Therefore, you're clearly left with an inferior whey protein if you take the fat out. So don't settle for anything less than whey protein concentrate.

Sweetened naturally, NOT artificially, and low carb

Most whey products are artificially sweetened making them useless if you have sugar sensitivities, or just don't want to put artificial sweeteners or flavors into your body.

Your whey should be low glycemic, low carb and should not contain any artificial sweeteners, sugar alcohol, glycerin, fructose, sugar or gluten.

Maximum biological value, NOT compromised or damaged

Most whey proteins provide some benefit. But, due to the ingredients, the source of the whey, the concentration of beneficial nutrients, or the type of processing, many whey products simply don't deliver what they promise.

You want whey that's guaranteed to retain its maximum biological value -- one with all the key amino acids, cofactors and beneficial micronutrients present and intact rather than compromised or damaged, and not missing any amino acids or essential nutrients.

Easy to Digest, NOT Causing Digestive Stress

Many whey products contain long-chain fatty acids, which are hard to digest and require bile acids to absorb.

You want a whey protein powder with medium-chain triglycerides (MCT). These are easily absorbed, digested quickly, and utilized as energy without causing digestive stress.

Ideally, you want a product in which the MCT come from the best source of all -- coconut oil.

Free from Toxic Heavy Metals or at Such Low Levels NOT to be a Health Risk
    Many protein powders both whey and non-whey could contain dangerous levels of heavy metals like mercury, lead, cadmium, and arsenic.

A Consumer Reports' evaluation showed some leading brands of protein powders exceeded United States Pharmacopoeia's (USP) recommended safety limits for certain heavy metals.

You want to avoid these products at all costs because any high concentration of heavy metals taken over time could lead to serious health consequences.

offered by Dr. Mercola
  • PudgyFellow123
    Options

Explain the evils of HFCS to me? I'm unaware and everything I eat contains it and I've not had any negative effects. Preferably I'd like links to real studies and sources rather than opinion.

if you have an hour and a 1/2 to listen to Dr Lustig's lecture. I think it's worth while. He's been around the anti sugar train for a long time now. Don't get me wrong, though. I'm not bashing anything. I personally try not to take HFCS and it's not all that common in New Zealand so I guess we're lucky. It's mainly in food products from the US that has it. Each to their own, I say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM
  • togmo
    Options
    I don't know, not sure the other poster will have anything concrete either but you could also ask the reverse and query the research that was done to state that these things are not detrimental for your health either? There have been a lot of things cleared for our use that have ended up causing all sorts of negative side effects.

I eat a lot of artificial stuff and all sorts of rubbish so I can't take the high road or anything here but all I know is that the majority of things I eat I want my parents and their parents to have eaten, not something that wasn't around when they were...
  • togmo
    Options

Acid-free processing, NOT Acid / Ion Exchange Processing

Acid / Ion Exchange Processing is cheaper than acid-free processing, but it denatures the amino acid profiles by using acids and chemicals to separate the whey from the fats.

Whey protein concentrate, NOT protein isolates
    Protein isolates are proteins stripped away from their nutritional cofactors. There are three problems with that...

All isolates are exposed to acid processing.

I don't know that all WPI is processed using acid. The stuff I get suggests that it isn't and seems to tick all the other boxes you suggest in your very interesting post.

https://professionalwhey.com.au/product/nz-whey-protein-isolate/
  • royvmax
    royvmax Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I use Optimum Health Protein. 3 different types depending on if I have been doing a workout or am on a rest day and also depending on time of day;

Morning Diet Whey
    Post Work out All in One Whey - also contains creatine and CLA ( I skip this if on a rest day)
    Before bed Casein whey - slower release feeds muscle through the night

I have found that using protein really helps my recovery after a workout - the muscle soreness is much reduced. I chose Optimum Health because of the price. It comes in basic packaging and they dont spend a fortune on advertising. The basic product is the same as all the others, a lot of which I have tried. Other brands are way more expensive but do the same thing. The All in One tastes good, the casein tastes good, the diet tastes a little watery but hey I think of it as a necessary 'medicine' rather than a meal.

Hope this helps,

Roy
  • lydiaannepage
    lydiaannepage Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    If you just want one that has a good balance and tastes great after (or before) a workout - I love Syntha-6 Vanilla Icecream Whey protein powder. If I want a chocolate flavor I add unsweetened cocoa powder to it. It's great for adding fruit to or on its own.
  • LindseySprake
    LindseySprake Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I use Optimum Health Protein. 3 different types depending on if I have been doing a workout or am on a rest day and also depending on time of day;

Morning Diet Whey
    Post Work out All in One Whey - also contains creatine and CLA ( I skip this if on a rest day)
    Before bed Casein whey - slower release feeds muscle through the night

I have found that using protein really helps my recovery after a workout - the muscle soreness is much reduced. I chose Optimum Health because of the price. It comes in basic packaging and they dont spend a fortune on advertising. The basic product is the same as all the others, a lot of which I have tried. Other brands are way more expensive but do the same thing. The All in One tastes good, the casein tastes good, the diet tastes a little watery but hey I think of it as a necessary 'medicine' rather than a meal.

Hope this helps,

Roy

Yep I use the Optimum Health brand too. I prefer the Ulitmate Whey, just for the flavour. But yes its good stuff!
  • foodie589
    foodie589 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I hear about Optimum Nutrition a lot and they all say it tastes good. My protein intake that im trying to reach is 135g (Fat 44g, Carb 144g). I might make the protein and fat higher and lower carbs.

There's generally 2 types of whey protein, concentrate and isolates. Isolates have a higher count of protein and less of everything else, usually about 92% protein. I have tried a few brands, but currently on Optimum Nutrition, 100% Gold Standard. good value for money $NZD119 for 5lbs. Best selling protein at the moment, globally.

Curious, though. What is your daily protein goal?
  • foodie589
    Options
    I eat chicken (mainly breast, sometimes thigh) and Greek yoghurt mostly everyday. Thanks, I'll look up Trutein!
    I'd just take the supplement as a filler but I agree, real food as the main source.

• hulkklogan
    hulkklogan Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    First off, try to get most of your daily protein intake from real food. I currently get about 75% of my daily intake of protein from real food, and supplement the last bit. How much protein you need just varies on your goals; generally 1 gram for every kg or 1 gram for every pound of lean body mass is the usual for your average person that does some kind of workout daily. If you're a lifter and you lift a lot, up that to 1.5g per kg or 1lb of lean body mass. I eat a lot of chicken breast and lean steak (sirloin primarily.. about 70g protein for 10g fat in an 8oz steak. Good ratio, and if you're a lifter, the natural creatine in beef is great). Tuna steaks are PACKED with protein and have very little fat. Because they're so lean you can eat a BIG steak and get LOTS of protein and not much fat or calories. Last time I ate tuna, I ate a 12oz steak. 80g protein, 3g fat, 368 calories. Just don't go crazy on tuna, with mercury and all that jazz.

As for protein supplements, I have tried lots and lots of them. My favorite as far as flavor is concerned is Musclepharm Combat Powder. It's delicious, but it's not an isolate so it has more fat and carbs than a typical isolate. My favorite isolate, for flavor, for purity (fat/carb/protein ratio. High purity means mostly protein, like someone else in the thread said, 92% is normal for this) Gold Standard Whey from Optimum Nutrition. It's also very good. Best bang for your buck, imo. It's pretty much an industry standard now for those that take protein supplements.
  • foodie589
    Options
    Wow thanks for your detailed response! Will have to check out those products you recommended.

As a beginner, maybe I'll start off with WPC and if I think I need more protein per serve I'll switch to WPI. Personally, I don't need much sweetness to be satisfied but im just wondering how bland the unsweetened powders taste. I also don't like the idea of tons of artifical sweeteners in my drinks, but then the convenience of just mixing sweetened protein powder and some form of liquid is easier than having to pre-blend with chocolate/fruits, etc to sweeten the protein shake.

I too live in Australia and have tried a lot of different protein powders.

Basically you have two choices to make before you can decide what you want.

Firstly what sort of protein do you want? Most people go for a WPC or WPI protein which is the whey protein you talk off. There are lots of other types of protein but these are the most common and generally the cheapest. WPI is simply a more refined, higher protein version of WPC from what I can gather which also makes it a little more expensive.

The next choice you have to make is whether you like your protein to be flavoured or whether you want to flavour it yourself. Another big decision is how much artificial sweetener you want to consume. The tastier ones like Musclepharm or Optimum Nutrition are sweetened with artificial sweetener, primarily splenda aka sucralose (955). These however are tasty with milk or water whereas the naturally sweetened or unflavoured whey powders are not as tasty. The advantage however with a natural unsweetened, unflavoured protein powder is that you can make your own flavour. I mix mine with about 25g (two big desertspoons) of milo in the blender with a cup of milk and about 6 ice cubes. If you are going to go down this route though there are the extra calories from your added flavourings you have to take into account - in the case of that shake it is a little over 400cals per serve!

I have a bit of both myself because I am trying to limit my artificial sweetener intake - I notice pretty much all the yummy protein products are sweetened with artificial sweetener and have all sorts of other things in them that I am not sure you should consume too much off like the HFCS that pudgy speaks off but they do this because they can give you more tasty protein with no or few carbs and therefore contain less calories per serve.

The best Australian trial site for protein powders that I have found is venom protein
    ( http://venomprotein.com.au/catalog/venom-flavour-sample-c-18.html?osCsid=eaao31i5gl5v6ndkdq8tgslm16 ).
    There are 10 different flavoured protein powder sachets for you in that pack delievered for only $20. This will give you a great starting point to figure out what flavours you like - these are artificially sweetened but everything is good in moderation - right?

There are lots of good stores around that sell protein powders and lots of good sites online, like venom or suppsrus.com.au. The cheapest protein is the natural unsweetened stuff which I purchase at professional whey in 1kg bags at a basement price
    ( https://professionalwhey.com.au/ )

Hope this about answers all your questions. If you have any more please feel free to ask.
  • togmo
    Options
    if I were you just starting out I would order the 10 trial pack from venom and a few 100g trial packs from professionalwhey to start off. While there seem to be a lot of places lining up in America to provide you with a sample of their products unfortunately there aren't many places I have found in Australia that offer this.

The naturally sweetened products available at professionalwhey aren't that bad, they are pretty tasty but they certainly don't have one that tastes like rocky road! They also don't provide you with a lot of flavour options, pretty much choc and vanilla although that mob do offer a choc mint and a cinnamon flavoured one. They are naturally sweetened and you might find they are more than good enough. The natural one that isn't flavoured tastes bland but is good for mixing your own shakes up, like the milo one I suggested and is also great for adding protein to your cakes or cookies. I haven't found a cake, biccie or slice recipe yet that I couldn't add a scoop or two of protein powder to.

Try them both out and from there you will know what you like and where to invest your money.