No Gall Bladder - Ox Bile?

Options
I had my gall bladder removed 5 years ago. Since then I've had some digestive issues, especially with meals higher in fat. I did a little research and heard that ox bile can be helpful. I started the supplements this week and have seen improvement, but I've also noticed it seems I'm not as hungry as normal. I eat paleo, so I mix healthy fats, protein, and small amounts of carbs for every meal and feel satiated, but since starting the ox bile supplements, I only seem to be hungry for two large meals a day.

Anyone else have this experience or have any thoughts?

Replies

• alexandriax03
    alexandriax03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    My cousin had her gallbladder removed and her doctor told her it is common to experience GI issues when consuming larger amounts of fat.

I don't know anything about Ox Bile. Have you tried probiotics?
  • Americannabis
    Options
    No, but that's interesting. Tagging this just to see what others say because I had my gallbladder removed three and a half years ago and have had digestive issues since then.
  • SarahWrittenThin
    SarahWrittenThin Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    The idea of consuming the stomach fluids of an ox makes me gag a little.
  • alexandriax03
    alexandriax03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    People experience GI issues after gallbladder removal because without the gallbladder, there is nothing to regulate the amount of bile that passes into the small intestine. This higher amount of bile can create stools that are watery and more frequent. For most individuals, this problem will resolve itself over time. If you are experiencing upper abdominal pain, you may want to speak with your doctor about a possible problem with your sphincter of Oddi.

A more bland diet might help alleviate some of your GI issues. Definitely follow a low-fat diet. Try a probiotic as well as a digestive enzyme. OP: I'd ask your doctor about Ox bile to make sure it's safe to take.

Also, a prescription medication called Levsin could also help. I take it for IBD (inflammatory bowel disease) and it helps me quite a bit.
  • karryann2008
    Options
    A close friend had her gall bladder removed a fair few years ago, over the last year her digestive issues have been greatly reduced by talking bile salts and extra probiotics-especially kefir. Hope that helps some
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any digestive issues, in general, since having my gallbladder removed. I had one very, very bad flare-up around the 3rd quarter of last year which was the same type of abdominal pain you'd get from a passing stone, only it was much more acute. I genuinely thought I was going to die - I couldn't move I was in such agony, I was shaking all over, I was sweating profusely but was freezing cold at the same time and I could barely breathe... the only time I ever felt that way before was on my very first "attack".
    Thankfully it passed after about 45 minutes, as opposed to the 12+ hours or days of pain beforehand.

I've heard these types of things can re-occur if you continually consume a high-fat diet, so be wary of that too.

As for "loose bowels" due to excess bile salts, psyllium is often recommended.
  • sweetpea0508
    Options
    I have also been doing research about Ox Bile and really want to give it a try. Any updates from those of you that have tried it?