Will this work for weight loss?

Options
Hello everyone! I'm new here...and Im worried about my progress.

I'm 40, 5'5 and 167lbs. I am looking to lose at least 30 lbs. I've been eating a 1,200 calorie diet. I try to eat several small meals through out the day. I have breakfast ( usually special K cereal, or sometimes just a yogurt) A lot of nuts, fruits, veggies ect...
I work out 5 days a week, 45 minutes of cardio. Here is where I think my problems are...

I am on seriqel and proparanolol. I've heard these can make you gain weight... my weight started years before taking them so thats not the issue but, I think the problem is they are causing me to not drop the weight either.
I am a heavy iced tea drinker ( heavy) I've cut it back to 2 glasses a day ( a few times I caved and had 3 glasses) But this is MAJOR improvement from how much I use to drink! I dont want to cut it out totally because that will sooner or later make me crumble and give in totally. I need to be realistic. So I sorta thought, between the calorie intake and the scale back on tea I would see something. Its been 2 weeks and I've only lost a half lb.

What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I'm on Lithium and I have the same problem. I've never gained weight just because of it, but it makes it harder to get the weight off. Just stick with it--that's about all you can do unfortunately. I'd say give it at least a month (total) before you really start to freak out about it.

Also, don't let the scale be the only way you measure your progress. Take your measurements too, because even if you're not losing pounds, you might be losing inches.

Best of luck!
  • littlelexical
    littlelexical Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    You are logging the calories for your iced tea too?
  • ph214
    ph214 Posts: 4
    Options
    Thank you for answering my question! I am going to start measuring myself so I can tell if I see a difference in inches.
  • ph214
    Options
    Yes I log my calories with the tea..its included in the 1,200 calories. I was happy to see it in the data base.
  • littlelexical
    littlelexical Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Fabulous! I couldn't tell from the way you wrote so just wanted to double check... :)

So long as you log everything, eat back your exercise calories (well - i think 50%-80% seems to be what most people here recommend - as MFP is a little out with some things) hopefully it will show~ Some medications just make it all that much slower unfortunately! Im unsure what the medications you are using are for (nor do i expect you to disclose, honest!) Just wanting to check it is nothing metabolic? As you may need to eat a modified diet to get best results if there are metabolic issues :)

Best of luck... and... You haven't "only lost 1/2lb" you've "Lost 1/2lb!!" something you may not have done if you hadn't have started this journey - Well done~!
  • ph214
    Options
    Thank you! I guess I was seeing the half a lb as not so great! But I should be happy for any amount!
    The medications are for anxiety and sleep. So I think this calorie intake should do it along with my workouts. I hope so anyway! So I guess I should get into the mind set that with the meds it may take longer...but it will happen.

Thank you both so much for answering me! It helps to know there is a support system here! :)
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Check out the link, it should help with a lot of your questions.