What am I doing wrong? Please help me!

Options
I don't know why this is happening, but I have gained back a pound a week for the last month. I am at the gym four times a week, and am only eating about 1800 calories on those days. I had lost these four pounds and maintained it for the last four months, so I don't know why I am gaining them back now, when my eating/exercising habits haven't changed. I would really appreciate any suggestions/advice if you have some! Thanks!

Replies

• azdeha
    azdeha Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    It could be water weight.

Also remember your body can fluctuate from day to day. Personally I can go up 2lbs in a day then have lost 3 the next. Just keep an eye on it, maybe add more water to your diet, check your salt intake and bear in mind that if you're working out it may be muscle mass. Do you take measurements? They're usually a more accurate portrayal of fat loss vs actual weight loss.

Edit: just saw you said 1lb a week...not 1lb total. But my advice stands...measure instead of weigh for a little while and see how that affects it.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    1800 isn't a steep cut for most people. And 4 times a week isn't a big huge calorie burn. Plus, you're probably eating more than you think you are... we all tend to.

What is your age, height and weight? How did you arrive at your 1800 goal?
  • brennacr
    Options
    Hi, I am 5'2" and currently 130lb. I count calories, so I know it is actually 1800 that I 'm eating, and I burn at least 800 calories each time I am at the gym- according to the machines. I don't know that 1800 is low enough for calories, but it had been working for the last several months, so I kept it as a goal.
  • azdeha
    Options
    Sometimes our bodies get used to our calorie intake over a prolonged period of time. Try lowering your intake by another 100/200 a day and see how that goes.
  • hkristine1
    hkristine1 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    It's also possible that you're gaining weight because you're gaining muscle, and muscle weighs more than fat. Have you taken measurements of your arms, hips, thighs, etc? How are your clothes fitting?

You say you're eating 1800 on days you work out and you burn about 800 at the gym (although I have found the machines to wnot be super accurate as to the calories I'm burning, so that could be part of the problem). What do you eat on days you don't work out, in terms of calories?

I know MFP suggests eating all your exercise calories - I get the reasoning behind that, but I have modified that for myself because I'm just not hungry for that many calories on days when I work out hard - I feel I'd be overstuffing myself. I usually try to eat at least half of my exercise calories on those days. Sometimes I eat all of them - but often only half.

I haven't been at this long enough to be an expert, but these are the things that immediately jumped into my mind when I read your post.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Are you losing inches? Have you made any major changes to your exercise routine? Have you begun taking any new supplements? Are you using a food scale to measure your food?
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    It's also possible that you're gaining weight because you're gaining muscle, and muscle weighs more than fat. Have you taken measurements of your arms, hips, thighs, etc? How are your clothes fitting?

doh! okay I will say it before someone else does a pound of muscle and a pound of fat weigh the same - a pound is a pound - use a tape measure instead of the scale for a couple weeks

muscle is denser therefore smaller
  • jweindruch
    jweindruch Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Couple thoughts/questions:
    - Do you drink? Alcohol consumption can give your metabolism a "time out"
    - Lift weights? If you're just doing cardio you may want to add weights too
    - 1700 calories? Might be worth trying a 100 calorie cut to see what the scale does…
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    IF you were overeating, you would have to eat an extra 500 cal's/day, which would put you at 1300 just to maintain. That means, that unless you are not logging accurately, then you are probably gaining water weight. Honestly though, if you're consistently gaining 1lb/week, that seems like it would be actual weight gain, since water weight fluctuates so much. Do you weigh your food? Do you weigh at the same time of day every week? Also, do you measure?

Edited to point out that I DID NOT mean that you should eat at 1,300 or below!!! Just wanted to clarify. ;)
  • rachaelbarton
    rachaelbarton Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Maybe have your body fat percentage checked by a personal trainer. This could give some insight into whether you're gaining muscle or fat back.
  • azdeha
    Options

doh! okay I will say it before someone else does a pound of muscle and a pound of fat weigh the same - a pound is a pound - use a tape measure instead of the scale for a couple weeks

I don't think anyone said a lbs of fat and a lbs of muscle were different...just muscle weighs more than fat therefore the same volume of muscle would weigh more....because as you said..it's more dense.
  • nursegirl2803
    Options
    if you are going to the gym 4 times a week, the weight may very well be muscle that your are building..
  • knra_grl
    Options

I don't think anyone said a lbs of fat and a lbs of muscle were different...just muscle weighs more than fat therefore the same volume of muscle would weigh more....because as you said..it's more dense.

The quote said "muscle weighs mor than fat" its in the first line
  • azdeha
    Options
    But it didn't say 1lbs of muscle weighs more than 1lb of fat..which is what you're implying it did....or at least that's what it looks like you're saying.

I'm just pointing out that what you're quoting is simply saying what you're saying..that it's more dense, but in a different way.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    if you are going to the gym 4 times a week, the weight may very well be muscle that your are building..

A lb of muscle a week while eating at a deficit? I'm going to have to disagree. It is really hard to build muscle. Natural bodybuilders are lucky to put on 5-10lbs a muscle a year, so I don't think the OP just went and put on 4lbs of muscle.

I think OP needs to answer a majority of the questions asked for there to be really any insight on what's going on.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am 5'2" and currently 130lb. I count calories, so I know it is actually 1800 that I 'm eating, and I burn at least 800 calories each time I am at the gym- according to the machines. I don't know that 1800 is low enough for calories, but it had been working for the last several months, so I kept it as a goal.

You know you are eating 1800?

Do you weigh everything you eat but liquids, which are measured for volume?

Do you weigh packaged food to, know that "about 2 servings" in package is never 2.0, but by weight is probably 2.3 to 2.7, meaning more calories.

The machines say you burn 800?
    Treadmill is about the only machine, if it asks for weight and is correctly calibrated, that will be really accurate for walking 2-4 mph and jogging 5-6.3 mph.

Any other machine is not nearly as tested in the lab, nor are their standard formulas for calorie burn for them.

If your method of losing weight was anything like your description of maintaining, meaning way undereating likely, then you probably have lost muscle mass (ya, you are NOT gaining weight as muscle unless you are eating in surplus and doing heavy lifting) and suppressed your metabolism - meaning you have a very fine line now to not gain weight.

You likely ate a bit more, and I'm guessing doing mainly cardio with that calorie estimate, your body finally had a chance to store more glucose your workout is asking for.

But that would tap out a certain point, just as water retention for a new workout would as someone mentioned.

Ya, if you really gained, liked weighing on a valid weigh-in day that minimized water fluctuations, then your math somewhere is way off.
  • knra_grl
    Options
    But it didn't say 1lbs of muscle weighs more than 1lb of fat..which is what you're implying it did....or at least that's what it looks like you're saying.

I'm just pointing out that what you're quoting is simply saying what you're saying..that it's more dense, but in a different way.

which is why I said to measure instead of weigh as muscle is smaller but it may not show on the scale?
  • hkristine1
    Options

which is why I said to measure instead of weigh as muscle is smaller but it may not show on the scale?

Uhmmm... if you looked at my entire first paragraph, you would see that after I said "muscle weighs more than fat" I asked if she was measuring, rather than weighing, and asked how her clothing was fitting... read in context, that means that she might be getting "smaller" even if she weighs more because muscle is more dense and therefore a smaller amount weighs as much as more fat weighs. No one said "1 lb of muscle weighs more than 1 lb of fat." That would be ridiculous and is like that stupid riddle "what weighs more - a pound of feathers or a pound of bricks." It seems that for some reason, you just wanted to jump all over a post to prove that you were somehow smarter about this than someone else. Which sucks.
  • togmo
    togmo Posts: 257
    Options

my missus measures me every so often and I haven't budged on the scales for ages but I have lost 3cm (1in) off my waist and gained 3cm around my shoulders over the last few months.

These transformations bought about by going to the gym are far better than any change on a scale! Speaking of which I really should get my lazy bum to the gym...
  • hkristine1
    Options

A lb of muscle a week while eating at a deficit? I'm going to have to disagree. It is really hard to build muscle. Natural bodybuilders are lucky to put on 5-10lbs a muscle a year, so I don't think the OP just went and put on 4lbs of muscle.

I think OP needs to answer a majority of the questions asked for there to be really any insight on what's going on.

I know nothing about the science of how quickly muscle builds, but wouldn't it be faster for someone who starts with little muscle to gain muscle more quickly than for someone who is already pretty muscular to bulk up? Similar to how it's easier to lose fat when you have a lot of fat to lose than when you're down to those last few pounds/inches/percentage points? My own experience is that when I take a break from working out for several months, and lose strength, it seems to come back relatively quickly - to a point - and then plateaus. I, however, don't know if that's actually building muscle - or just reconditioning muscle, or whatever.