weights

Options
I'm wondering which is better for weight lifting; free weights or weight machines? Right now I use the weight machines. But which one is really more beneficial or does it matter at all?

Replies

• Zoejohnse91
    Zoejohnse91 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Would like to know this as well....
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Free weights. They're a more accurate representation of the weight you're lifting and they don't force you into fixed-pattern movements.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Free weights are ideal for most exercises, but if all you have access to machines, it is better than nothing. Machines restrict ROM (range of motion), doesn't allow for the core and stabilizing muscles to really be used/worked, doesn't allow you to really work on proper form (which can lead to injuries), and with machines, you aren't lifting as much as you think you are because they do lend some assistance.
  • ajhr
    ajhr Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    FREE WEIGHTS!

They work more of your body since you have to work to keep your balance, plus you get to feel like a total badass when you push that barbell over your head. Enjoy!
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Free weights offer the more bang for your buck, as you need to work extra hard to stabilize the weight, therefor, working all those little muscles around the area, that are neglected when you isolate with a machine. Also, certain machine can put your joints in angles they weren't meant to be in!!
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I prefer free weights, whenever I have tried the machines I didn't quite fit, (smaller female). I felt to uncomfortable in them, and my shoulder would usually pop in some of the arm ones.

I don't mind the leg press though
  • gymjunkie4eva
    Options
    Depends on your needs really. Generally I do more free weights but incorporate some machine training.

Free weight exercises are generally better for strength and muscle building, and for symmetry. The weight goes through a greater ROM and you are forced to use stabilising muscles. In addition if you have a strength imbalance free weights will help you to correct it.

However if you have an injury or are doing rehab the strict controlled movement of a machine exercise equivalent may suit better.

There are also machines such as the 45 degree leg press where there is no free weight equivalent.
  • pjammer10
    pjammer10 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the information guys! Now I just need to work up the courage to go into the free weight section of my gym!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    free weights- barbell and cable towers.

those are my go to- I don't find much need for anything else.