Some have requested recipes

Options
Some of you have requested recipes. I will post them here for anyone who would like to try them.

Breakfast or lunch smoothie
1 c mixed fruit
1/2 c blue berries
1/2 c banana
1 scoop vanilla whey powder or you can use 6 oz plain or vanilla fat free Greek yogurt
10 ground almonds
1 c vanilla almond milk

Directions
I always use frozen fruit it make is more like an milk shake. Just my preference frozen is also cheaper than fresh

Place ingredients in blender starting with almond milk first
Blend until desired consistency.

Sweet and Sour Shrimp
Ingredients
1/2 lb raw shrimp
1 medium onion sliced in wedges
2 stalks celery diced
1/2 green pepper cut in strips
1 carrot thin sliced
1/2 c sliced white mushrooms
1 large clove garlic crushed
2 Tblsp sweet and sour sauce.
Directions:
Stir fry shrimp in a little oil and garlic until pink remove and set aside.
Stir fry vegetables in sesame oil and crushed garlic clove until crisp done. It will take the celery and carrots longer so do those first then add the others.
When almost done add sweet and sour sauce and shrimp. Heat through and serve over rice.
You can also substitute boneless skinless chicken breast if you would like or if you don’t want sweet and sour eliminate the sweet and flour sauce.

Beef Roast
This is one of my favorite Emeril Lagasse recipes
3 lb beef roast of your choice. I prefer chuck.
2 tsp fresh chopped and crushed basil
2 tsp crushed garlic clove
1 12oz can Diet Rite soda.
Salt and pepper to taste.

Directions
Cut several small slits in the roast on both sides
Mash the basil and garlic together and then slip a little in if the mixture in the slits
Salt and pepper

Brown the roast really good on both sides to seal in the juices.

put in heavy pan and pour the cola over the top.

Place in pre heated 350^ oven for about 2.5 -3 hours.

It makes delicious gravy also.

Personal pizza.
1 slice whole wheat dry toast. I press it down so it is thin
1 tblsp pizza sauce
1/4 can tuna
1/4 4 oz can mushrooms optional
1 slice provolone cheese.
You can use 4 slices of pepperoni in place of tuna if you prefer.
Directions
Put together ingredients as they are listed. Put on cookie sheet and place in oven at 400 degrees until cheese is melted and enjoy.

Stir Fry Vegetables over rice
Rice - Brown, long-grain, cooked, 1.5 cup
Bell Pepper, Green - Raw Medium , 1/2 pepper
Onions - Raw, 0.5 cup, sliced
Celery - Raw, 1.5 cup chopped
Brocolli - Florets (Raw) , 1 cup
Kirkland Olive Oil - Extra Virgin, 4 tsp
Generic (Usda) - Garlic (Clove), 1 clove crushed
Sesame Garlic Sauce, 2 tbsp.
Carrots - Raw, 1 carrot (7-1/2")
Directions
Stir Fry Vegetables in Olive oil starting with brocolli, celery, carrot cut into slices and then when they are almost crisp done add green pepper and onion. when crisp done add sesame garlic sauce heat through and serve over brown rice. top with soy sauce if desired.

Replies

• bunny1006
    bunny1006 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    bump
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Do you have a recipe for hog roast?

Nawlins BBQ shrimp?

Biscuits & gravy?
  • nancyluckhurst3
    nancyluckhurst3 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Do you have a recipe for hog roast?

Nawlins BBQ shrimp?

Biscuits & gravy?

I have never roasted a hog however I have done fresh (unsmoked) whole ham

I just marinate it over night in the fridge with Laury's Hawaiian and mesquite marinade. I have a small barrel grill so I can put coals in one side and place the roast on the other end and cover. Keep adding charcoal as needed. It will take about 15 minutes per lb. It is done when the juices run clear. About a half hour before done I put soaked mesquite chips on the coals and set the roast over the coals for about 20 minutes.

Biscuits and gravy.

1 lb ground pork
    1/2 tsp Seasoned salt
    1/2 tsp pepper
    2 tsp ground sage
    Mix well.

Brown in heavy pan

Add about 3 Tblsp flour and mix add about 2 1/2 c milk and cook on medium until the desired consistency. salt and pepper to taste

Biscuits
    2 c flour
    1/4 c lard (or other shortening)
    pinch of salt
    2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 c sourdough starter.
    enough milk to make very stiff dough. Kneed gently roll out on floured surface and cut into biscuits
    Bake on ungreased pan at 375 until golden

Sourdough starter
    1 c whole wheat flour
    1 Tblsp sugar
    1 c warm water
    place in 3 qt bowl and lightly cover in warm place

Day too
    add 1/2 c flour
    2 tsp sugar
    1/2 c warm water
    Repeat 2 more days. It should be raising nicely. You can keep this in a jar in the fridge for up to a week but if you don't want to use it for bread or biscuits then once a week you need to remove a cup of sourdough and feed it again with 1/2 c flour 2 tsp sugar 1/2 cup warm water. When you take out that cup of starter you can give it to a friend to use if you like.

I have never heard of Nawlins bbq shrimp but I found this on the web if that helps.

http://www.tastebook.com/recipes/3276588-N-awlins-BBQ-Shrimp?full_recipe=true
  • nancyluckhurst3
    Options
    I will post more tomorrow. Time for this old girl to go to bed.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I am canadian we don't make biscuits and gravy but now I am gonna make me some :bigsmile:

biscuits yes
    gravy yes
    but not as a meal and I really don't understand why not :frown:

I have also never had grits - wtf are grits??? Clue me in plz Nancy :smile:
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I am canadian we don't make biscuits and gravy but now I am gonna make me some :bigsmile:

biscuits yes
    gravy yes

Grits are like polenta, basically.

I'm British, and developed a love for good ol' rib-stickin' Southern food a few years ago.
  • knra_grl
    Options

biscuits yes
    gravy yes

Grits are like polenta, basically.

I'm British, and developed a love for good ol' rib-stickin' Southern food a few years ago.

TY HappyStack :)
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Thx for recipes!
  • nancyluckhurst3
    Options
    Since when don't Canadians eat biscuits and sausage gravy? I am married to a Canadian. The Fifth Wheel truck stop makes great biscuits and gravy or they did many years ago when I had my truck leased on with Frederick Transport.

What are grits? Well it is a southern thing kind of thing. It was originally introduced by Native Americans but you will see it on the menu in restaurants in the Southern states. It is white corn dried and ground to a certain consistency. They cook it in water and it looks similar to Cream of Wheat. Definitely not my cup of tea.

biscuits yes
    gravy yes

• nancyluckhurst3
    Options
    Thx for recipes!

You are more then welcome.
  • knra_grl
    Options
    Since when don't Canadians eat biscuits and sausage gravy? I am married to a Canadian. The Fifth Wheel truck stop makes great biscuits and gravy or they did many years ago when I had my truck leased on with Frederick Transport.

What are grits? Well it is a southern thing kind of thing. It was originally introduced by Native Americans but you will see it on the menu in restaurants in the Southern states. It is white corn dried and ground to a certain consistency. They cook it in water and it looks similar to Cream of Wheat. Definitely not my cup of tea.

biscuits yes
    gravy yes

I swear Nancy I have never seen biscuits and gravy on any menu in Canada that I have seen :)

The only time I make gravy is when I cook a beef/pork roast, chicken or turkey or if I am making a stew
  • nancyluckhurst3
    Options
    Well let me warn you that it can be addictive. I love sausage gravy and biscuits but I eat too much so just stay away from it except maybe 2-3 times a year. Hell I could eat it every morning but then I would need a fork lift to get me off my chair. LOL. So I use it strictly for a treat when we have over night company. I usually serve it with scrambled eggs and either bacon or ham. It is an old time farm staple here in the states.

biscuits yes
    gravy yes

I swear Nancy I have never seen biscuits and gravy on any menu in Canada that I have seen :)

The only time I make gravy is when I cook a beef/pork roast, chicken or turkey or if I am making a stew
  • knra_grl
    Options
    thanks for the advice and I am gonna make some but I will wait til my 23 yr old son is home so he will eat it all up!
  • AngelRobbie
    AngelRobbie Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    thanks Nancy :o)
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Thanks Nancy!!!