Paraplegic need help!!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Actually, pretty pretty please would someone do this. I really wanna know the answer now..... such a nerd.

I would love to do it, but unfortunately I can't weigh myself. "Wheelchair" type roll-on scales literally cost thousands of $$... I think I once stumbled across some there were in the $700 range. While I would like to be able to weigh myself, there are a ton of other things ahead of a scale in the queue that I could spend that kind of money on. :wink:

Now, along those lines, I did find a platform scale on Amazon rated at 400 lbs. It's 38" x 20" in dimension, so while it's not big enough to wheel up on in a chair (and I do have a relatively compact manual chair), I could transfer out of my chair and sit on the scale. It's only about $260.... much more affordable. This one may be an actual possibility.

I hadn't thought of the difficulties in weighing - must be a right pain! Totally understand you not wanting to buy some scales.

That said, although the link I posted uses their daily weight and finds the gradient of a graph of weight vs. time, but I only used my start and end weight and plugged in the numbers. You could pop wherever you go to get weighed at the beginning and then again a couple of months later, logging food accurately in the mean time.

I should mention I only did this to see if I could. I have no qualifications in exercise science so I might have messed it up or used an incorrect method.... I got a reasonable number within my expectations though and I sort of followed the method in the guide, just mathematically not graphically. I'm going to test both methods against each other mid-feb, once I have a whole month of accurate logging (including the chocolate bars whose calories fell out because I kept them on a high shelf :smile:).
  • hellsintown
    Options
    Awesome advice..I have come to the conclusion to use a bmr of 2600 and take 1000 calories off that. The app says 1740 so it is pretty close.

The next issue im having with the app is...it is telling me to eat 1740 calories daily as a net. When im around 1300 calories I hit the button to enter my daily calories...it then tells me im going to be .2lbs heavier in 5 weeks. This must be broken because obviously 1740 is the net calorie they suggested to loosr 2 lbs per week and 1340 is well under that. Im watching that I dont hit statvation mode.

If you do not have a scale. I found a trick for you. Go to the hospital. They usually have a scale in the rehab department. Orrr another place is the hospital laundry lol. They usually have a floor scale.
  • mumblemagic
    Options
    Awesome advice..I have come to the conclusion to use a bmr of 2600 and take 1000 calories off that. The app says 1740 so it is pretty close.

The next issue im having with the app is...it is telling me to eat 1740 calories daily as a net. When im around 1300 calories I hit the button to enter my daily calories...it then tells me im going to be .2lbs heavier in 5 weeks. This must be broken because obviously 1740 is the net calorie they suggested to loosr 2 lbs per week and 1340 is well under that. Im watching that I dont hit statvation mode.

If you do not have a scale. I found a trick for you. Go to the hospital. They usually have a scale in the rehab department. Orrr another place is the hospital laundry lol. They usually have a floor scale.

Ok, "starvation mode" is a thing that has been knocking around for a while, and largely the things people say about it on the forums are myths. This post is helpful:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1077746-starvation-mode-adaptive-thermogenesis-and-weight-loss

Secondly, are you sure you're putting in your numbers in the right boxes? Sounds like you have a good idea of what you need to be doing, but MFP disagrees?

Edit:
    The online BMR calculator I used says 2400 ish, meaning your TDEE is about 2880, so you shouldn't be told you're going to put on weight at 1300 calories! Try uninstalling and reinstalling the app, then if that doesn't work submit a help ticket to the techies.

Edit 2:
    Did you try going through the guided goal setting on the website and don't tweak the numbers. Let MFP work out the numbers for you rather than being all smartypants :smile:? Use the smartypants as a check that MFP has roughly the right numbers.
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Do you take a winter sleep or something?

Basically don't worry about calculating it. Just set it at whatever you've been eating and watch the scale. Then assuming you want to lose weight and the scale goes up or stays the same after 3-4 weeks (give it enough time) lower calories by 500. Repeat if weight still does not go down.
  • SNorris01
    SNorris01 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I hope I can help. I am not paraplegic and I hope you are able to get out and around. Call around and see if any private work out facilities have what they call a Bod-Pod where you actually sit in a air pressured pod and it uses air vacuum to determine your actual RMR, and recommend your calorie intake based on that to lose weight. It cost me $65.00 for the test. It takes about 15 mins. You need to ware tight fitting (biker shorts) and a swimmers cap which the provided. As long as you are not claustrophobic you should be good. Your ears will pop a little due to the air pressure, but it is a great way to get your exact numbers.

Call around I am sure you will find one in your area.

Good Luck!!!
  • hellsintown
    Options
    goals.jpg?t=1390518350 heres my numbers
  • hellsintown
    Options
    See it says in the RED writing 1740 calories is my net daily...If I eat 1460 calories and hit COMPLETE THIS ENTRY it says I will gain weight, so the app will never allow me to eat my daily net???
  • hellsintown
    Options
    1rstcaloriecount-1.jpg
    2ndcalorieintake.jpg

OK Im really embarrassed now....The number is going up because its bringing me back to my 2 lb goal per week. I must have been overdoing it.
  • mumblemagic
    Options
    Ok, so there's definitely something hinky going on. What about your fitness profile? I would put in a picture of mine but I don't know how :sad:

However,

Mine has my current weight in kg, height, goal weight, DoB, activity level (i set sedentary), planned number of workouts, and weightloss goal.

You can also change the units in which you are measured - have you checked that they are correct? I presume that you want lbs, calories, and ft and inches?
  • mumblemagic
    Options
    Also, the key bit is where it says in red the daily calorie deficit on the goal setting page, if it doesn't say anything or has the wrong number then something is up!
  • Llorry
    Llorry Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am a paraplegic as well and FYI I posted some great workout routines for those in chairs created by a really great guy on here..but anyhow.
    Your TDEE would be the same as anyone else of your height and weight. I custom set up MFP with the TDEE I calculated myself but if you are unable to weigh yourself at all that may be difficult if not impossible to do so I suggest using a good TDEE calculator which you can find on the internet.
    I would not worry to much what the MFP is telling you as long as you are following a good routine
  • hellsintown
    Options
    The red in those pics are from me adding tonnes of grapes to show a deficit for the screen shot.. the other red that doesnt bother me much is my protien intake. I want that number higher on purpose.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Just want to clarify something... Your BMR is not 2740, this is your TDEE. BMR is Basal Metabolic Rate or the estimated number of calories your body needs to cover basic functions like heart beating, brain function, breathing, digestion, etc. TDEE is Total Daily Energy Expenditure which is an estimate of the number of calories you need for all daily activities. This is BMR + activity level (sedentary, active, etc) + exercise.

Your BMR is probaby somewhere around 2200.

I've had issues with that complete this day funtion before. If I hit it more than once it comes up with a really odd number that's either too high or too low to make sense. Honestly it's prety much bunk anyway. Even if you ate exactly the same, you're going off of estimates and things like water weight can make your actual weight fluctuate.
  • KerryITD
    KerryITD Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    i have no idea if this is possible for you, but veterinarian's offices usually have scales set into the floor that can be manually tared. You might still have to transfer to a chair that's been tared to zero, but any vet I ever worked for would have been happy to have the scales used for more than dogs. :)
  • mumblemagic
    Options
    The red in those pics are from me adding tonnes of grapes to show a deficit for the screen shot.. the other red that doesnt bother me much is my protien intake. I want that number higher on purpose.

Yeah, the red isn't the problem I don't think - there is something up with the calculation. The bottom line is that as long as your intake is less than your TDEE you should be losing weight - I reckon you could net around 2000 and still lose. It's just an annoying technical glitch that the "you will weight x in 5 weeks" isn't working.