EMBARASSING!!!

Options
Buuuuuuut... I don't know most of you so its ok :)

I have been on MFB for almost 3 weeks now and am feeling better than I have in a long time and am noticing great results, however, since I changed my diet I have had a lot of troubles with constipation (never had such a dilemma before)...

I am drinking tons of water every day (3L at least) and ensuring to get the recommended amount of fiber every day but nothings working. Somebody please help me out!!

Replies

• mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    veggies? fruit? stool softener? any of those should help
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    aww bless, I experienced this back in April this year when I first started!

It's your bodies reaction to your change in diet! keep drinking that water and get plenty of fibre and things will get better!

Try not to worry about it...it's the adjustment from all the fatty things you may have eaten to the healthier foods. Exercise may help get things going again. If you are worried about it..see your GP :flowerforyou:
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Some sugar in the form of juice usually works. I used to do it all the time for kids at a preschool when they were having that problem.
  • pkd1
    pkd1 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal works good, also peachesor prunes ,raisins, or even fiber one cereal and the bars. Hope that helps
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I find that taking probiotics really helps - I can drink lots of water and eat plenty of fiber and can still be irregular. (I take the liquid form - American Acidophilus: http://www.healthsuperstore.com/p-american-health-original-probiotic-acidophilus-16-fl-oz-472-ml.htm ). This stuff doesn't help immediately, but when I take it regularly (twice a day) it really helps after about a week or so.

Also, you may want to see if cutting dairy out (or very low) helps - some people are lactose intolerant, but their only symptom is constipation. This is an issue for me as well. I'm not willing to give it up completely, but I try to keep my dairy levels lower.

Edited to add: for immediate relief - you may want to try herbal laxative teas. A nice alternative to some of the more unpleasant options out there. Take some before bed and again in the morning...
  • Chavtastic
    Chavtastic Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    This happens to me too every time I change my eating plan. You're drinking water but you're not staying hydrated maybe. You're body must really be using it. There could be a litany of reasons but do you feel bloated (too much salt), indoor heating high (could be drying you out more than you think), could also be too much protein. Try drinking some cocconut water (more hydrating than water, i've read b/c of the electrolytes) and eating a few processed foods a possible. Also maybe try a mild laxative this weekend. Hope that helps.
  • TaraDenise
    TaraDenise Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    If you really want to go....prune juice....warmed. It may not taste good, but you will go.
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I did a 2 day vegetable soup and juice fast...That really got me moving!
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I put 1/4 of a teaspoon of ground flax seeds on my oatmeal... and another added benefit is its good for your heart. Pro biotics is a good suggestion too... I eat yoplus... blackberry pomegranate. It's yummy.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    A blueberry smoothie usually gets things moving for me.
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I had the same problems too...Why don't you try Oregon Grape Root it's an herbal supplement and it WORKS...I also take Aloe 470 mg from Vitamin Shoppe you can get both of them from there...
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Weird you said that, cuz I have bad constipation since this too. I didn't go to the bathroom for almost 2 weeks and then on saturday I was in dire pain and finally went. I haven't gone since Saturday still. It has only been since I have changed my eating habits and I have gotten enough fiber in too so I don't know what to do.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    I use Papaya Enzyme. You get it at the vitamin store. They are little chewable tablets that are made of papaya and they taste just like papaya. I give them to my 5 year old too when she is having problems.
  • angellynn261
    Options
    Along with the other suggestions, you may want to cut back on your sodium. It can hide in things we think are healthy, and it can really cause constipation.
  • butterflyfaerie
    butterflyfaerie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I've found this at times, too. I always find taking some kind of Senna supplement starts things back to normal
  • willimh
    willimh Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Try Smooth Move herbal tea. 1 cup before bed every nite and 1 cup in the mornings. Good luck
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Magnesium 500 mg at bed time, you will sleep wonderfully and be back to your regular self by AM.
  • Krimicri
    Options
    I mentioned in another post earlier, for instant relief, Milk of Magnesia works wonders.

Try some unflavored Benefiber (the Wal-mart Equate brand is cheaper and tasteless) you can put it in anything and not taste it.

Good luck!
  • alibur85
    alibur85 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    FIBER FIBER FIBER WATER WATER WATER
  • JaydeSkye
    JaydeSkye Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    It's obviously because of the change in your diet, as everyone has already mentioned.

But, drink 8oz of apple juice and make sure you have a clear path to the bathroom... haha, it goes away within two weeks after your body adjusts to the new nutrition.

Goodluck!