those who have lost 30 pounds and more...

Options
iwantwow
iwantwow Posts: 152 Member
My biggest confusion and question is for the people who have lost 30 and more pounds and maintain it...how many calories were u eating ...i dont want to start a debate between 1200 cal stories and those who eat more,i know all the theoretical aspects...i just want to see the majority lies where ....the numbers will tell a story themselves...

Replies

• mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 75lbs, I didn't find MFP until I was about 50lbs down so I didn't food log until the last part of my journey.

As for calories I ate, I typically ate what MFP told me to eat, I would eat back about 1/2 my calories on workout days to account for over estimation on calorie burn.

I also adjusted my macros because the proteins are not high enough and carbs were too high. So I assure I eat all the protein I need, I always have a protein at each meal and after strength training.

So there is not a set amount, it depended on the day and activity but I would enter my workouts for the day in the morning and then I would set my food for the day and stuck with it. And logged everything!
  • Qos_
    Qos_ Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I eat the calories that MFP calculates, I also exercise hard daily and eat back my calories.

So MFP calculate 1650 calories per day for me to lose my weight, I track all food no matter how small and my exercise and aim to hit the 1650.

Works for me. When I stray from MFP I don;t do as well, I suppose I am less honest with myself on the food.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how many calories I ate with my initial weight loss.... but I know all I really did was made sure I ate (there have been plenty of days where I was only eating 1 time), and added movement. Initially I walked 2-3 times a week for an hour with a friend at lunch time. Now I go to the gym and do cardio and just started weights.
  • IWILLBelieveAchieveInspire
    Options
    I've lost 65lbs to date and up until recently when I joined mfp I didn't even track calories I am eating every 2-3hrs. Making sure I have around 4oz of protein with each 'meal', a carbohydrate (eg..1/4 cup dry oatmeal or 1/2 cup of fruit, and at maybe two 'meals' a fat (healthy oil/nut butters etc..) I'm trying to keep my fat low. My macros are around 40%carb 40%protein 20%fat. Clean eating..no processed foods, limit salt, just real food. Now that I found mfp I just love it! I can punch in my food, set my macros and adjust my diet through the day as needed. No more guessing if I have been in a calorie deficit. I love it too because if you fall off plan a bit in a day you can adjust your other meals accordingly so that you meet your goals for the day. I work out 5days a week for around an hour. HTH
  • DjangoAndDeadlifts
    DjangoAndDeadlifts Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I probably averaged 2200 a day for most of my weightloss. My maintenance started at around 3400, and is currently 2800.
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    1200 for first two weeks. 1500 until I reached my goal weight and now 1900-2300 per day. I need to say though that I work out for at least an hour a day so that is why my calories are higher. I run marathons and other races so I have to be very careful not to eat too little which results in weight loss but that loss is muscle. I enjoy working out and in fact it is how I relax but since my level is not for everyone I would say you could probably go with 1500-1800 per day depending on your amount of physical activity. MFP should be able to give you really good advice as far as that goes. I've kept this weight off for 6-7 years so I'm here to say it can be done :happy:
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 pounds eating about 1300 - 1500 a day. Starting weight 185. Ending weight 135. I've maintained this weight (+/- 5lbs) by eating about 1400 a day.
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I'm right on the cusp there ... my ticker says 29 today. I HAS said 30 but I keep sliding around slightly, those ups and downs (I weigh in every day and my scale connects wirelessly, so my MFP is updating daily as well).

I lost 15 pretty quick and easy as soon as I started counting calories. My goal was to eat around 2000 and it's a struggle to keep it at that (I still eat a lot of yummy but empty calories). My activity level is quite high (I have a Fitbit and my average burn is often 3000+).

The next 15 has been much slower - I don't feel like I've changed much in eating/exercise.

I've been keeping a complete history of EVERYTHING ... I have my calorie counts, burn counts, exercise, etc. from every day since June 2012 on my blog http://jenbsjourney.blogspot.com/ ... it's in the sidebar "Daily Doings" with weigh-ins and weekly recaps every Friday.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I eat 1700-1800 calories a day and work out about 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week. I've averaged about a pound to a pound and a half a week loss when I'm diligent with tracking and sticking to those numbers.
  • Akraz
    Akraz Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I lost 85lbs on the ketogenic diet eating 1250 calories a day for 9 months. That was between April 2012 - January 2013 when I hit my goal.

From January 2013 and onward I have raised my calories to 1500 and I am the exact same weight over a year later when i hit my goal weight of 180lbs.

I also go to the gym now 6 times a week weightlifting as of December 2013
  • LunaInverse
    LunaInverse Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    1700-1800 cal a day, with an hour or more of vigorous exercise 3-5 times a week.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I've averaged between 1700 and 1800 a day using TDEE - 20% method and lost 53+ to date (in about 11 months, with some of those months being "off the wagon")
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    @5'5", Net calories for the past six months were 1,522kcals. Gross was 1,861kcals. 37lbs (ish) lost to date.

My only exercise has been walking - three to four miles a day during the week. An occassional long walk at the weekend. Distance averaged per day = 2.7 miles.

(Yes, I keep a spreadsheet - can you tell?)
  • tumbledownhouse
    tumbledownhouse Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I've lost 46 pounds since the end of June last year, slightly slow and steady perhaps but actually averaging out around 1.5lbs per week... something like that.
    I use the MFP method and tend to eat back most if not all of my exercise calories. I walk 90 minutes 5 days a week and try to add extra exercise on some of those days too.
    I usually end up eating about 1800 calories per day, depending on what my exercise has been.
    I am also a bit cheeky and often don't log at the weekends and engage in beer drinking and meals out. Not something I'm willing to give up TBH and hasn't affected my progress very much. I also try to eat healthily but "clean" is not a word I would associate with myself! Often have a bit of chocolate, nope not the dark stuff or a bag of crisps! I also try to eat as much protein as possible but don't do low carb or anything like that.
    Consistency and accountability is key. Some weeks the scale will have you tearing your hair out. Oh well, think about how deeply you can breathe, how much better you feel.
    There isn't a trick, and I'm sure many people have been much stricter and had great results. But I believe it needn't be torturous.
  • FindingMyPerfection
    FindingMyPerfection Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I started in April at 188, so to date have lost 38lbs. I range between 1400-1800 cals and am still losing. I lift 3x a week and when I hit goal will increase to 2000 cals and adjust up till I find my true TDEE.
  • jlbeals
    jlbeals Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I eat about 1300-1500/day. More or less depending on how much I worked out that day - I just try not to go over what MFP says by more than 100 cals. and never eat under 1200.

I do not "diet". I don't even do IIFYM or anything like that - I just eat whatever I want without going over the calorie limit. I'm not cutting cupcakes out of my life forever so I figure I'd better learn how to eat them when I'm losing/maintaining if I want these changes to stick. I'm a year and a half in - so far so good.

I started at 254 and I'm down to 154-156lbs (weight isn't constant as I'm sure you know :) and a size 8 from a size 22. Still losing fairly constantly.
  • Marcillene
    Marcillene Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Ive lost 55lbs... it has been a longer journey for me because i cheat on multiple occasions. i dont always deprive myself. But on a typical maintaining day I would stay around 1200.

i'm 5'9- began at 195 and am currently 139.8.
  • TooTatToTrot
    TooTatToTrot Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    First 50 pounds, 1200 calories (not net) and a vegetarian running 4x a week for 30 minutes. Now, 1750-1900 (not net!) calories and still losing weight doing C210K, fitnessblender and a strength traing program. I lost 5 pounds last week and 3 this week so far. I'm trying to fix my diet cause that's where the magic happens
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    5'3.5" and Started at 170 lbs. I'm now 119.6 lbs. I started June 29th 2013. I started at 1200. Hated it. Now, I eat 1700 NET. Needing to bump that up soon. I lose about a pound a week.
  • JinxRita
    JinxRita Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I've kept 40+ pounds off over the past year. I follow my MFP calories as close as possible. I started out eating 1800+ and am now at 1600+. When I ate 1200 or below, I lost weight faster, but gained it back just as fast. Slow and steady is proving to be the key for me.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!