Every day I fail

Options
I started my diet/exercise plan 3 weeks ago and every day I fail. Things start out well, I do my cardio, watch my calories, but by the end of the day I just say 'eff this, I'm bored and hungry'.

Maybe y'all can help motivate me.

Replies

• YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    What is your goal weight loss per week? If its 2 that can be too big of an adjustment at once for some people, and you should maybe switch it to 1 pound a week until you can adjust your routine. Then eventually up it back up to 2 pounds a week.

Finding something to occupy boredom is also important, maybe try to develop a hobby that can take up that time. :)
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    That is great! Every time you fail, you just keep going. That is the secret. We all fail to some degree or another, bit the small changes will add up until they outnumber the fails.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Instead of setting super high expectations and trying to be perfect every day, remind yourself that you're human. Make small realistic changes every day, or week, or month. No need to be in a huge rush or put a ton of pressure on yourself.

Your profile is private so I have no idea how much weight you're looking to lose so here's a good guideline for estabilishing weekly weight loss goals:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

Just because MFP let's you choose up to 2 pounds per week, doesn't mean it's the right goal for you. Better to be realistic and give yourself some breathing room. Even if you have enough to lose to go with 1.5 pounds per week, set a lower goal. Also make sure your activity level is correct. Most go with sedentary, which does include some normal daily activity like cooking, cleaning etc but if you're more active than that, you may want to go up a level. Also, when you exercise, you should be eating back at least half of the earned calories, more if you're hungry.

Small changes.. This week, just log your food every day. Don't worry too much about going over if you decide to have an extra snack, just form the logging habit. Also realize that going over by up to 100 calories isn't really a big deal. You'll still have a calorie deficit. Next week, try to stay within your goal at least 3 days. The week after, 5 days. Then work on food choices like trying to get in more fresh fruits and veggies, whole grains. Then maybe fitness goals.

Best of luck!
  • poppyetpear
    poppyetpear Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Yorria, I don't have a goal weight loss per week, heck, I can't even afford a scale lol. I was just trying to start off simply by watching calories and doing cardio/yoga. I have hobbies, but I should say I also have a couple conditions that keep me from being able to focus on things for too long, or to even leave the house most days.

Sigh. It's an endless cycle, but I really am trying. A year ago I wouldn't have tried at all. I guess that's the important thing for right now.

Thanks for the response!
  • poppyetpear
    Options
    Pony, thanks for the encouragement! That's really what I need.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Honest truth.. nobody here is going to make you succeed.. we can give you support but if you don't even make it 1 day (that is if your not eating in an extreme deficit) then you obviously aren't ready to lose weight.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Yorria, I don't have a goal weight loss per week, heck,

You do though, that's how MP set a calorie goal for you. Maybe you are eating too little? Maybe you are cutting out things you like?
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I started my diet/exercise plan 3 weeks ago and every day I fail. Things start out well, I do my cardio, watch my calories, but by the end of the day I just say 'eff this, I'm bored and hungry'.

Maybe y'all can help motivate me.

Actually only you can motivate yourself. Weight loss may not be a priority for you right now. You mention certain conditions that prevent you from staying on track. Perhaps those conditions need to be addressed first so the rest can fall into place?

I know that when people encouraged me and motivated me to start losing weight, I didn't really absorb any of it because I just wasn't ready. When I made it a priority, and put it on the top of my list, it wasn't that difficult anymore.
  • poppyetpear
    Options
    Minnie, that's great advice. I like your suggestion of just following my plan 3 times a week and every week increase. I think I do put way too much pressure on myself in every aspect of my life.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    nope sorry we can't motivate you..you have to want it bad enough yourself.

I can give you ideas on how to motivate yourself...like the success threads, googling pics of before and after....that's what I did at the start...

Now I look in the mirror or my own before and after pics.
  • poppyetpear
    Options
    Honest truth.. nobody here is going to make you succeed.. we can give you support but if you don't even make it 1 day (that is if your not eating in an extreme deficit) then you obviously aren't ready to lose weight.

You're definitely not the type I wanted to respond. I came to the forum *for* support, not for you to give me a magic weight loss spell.
  • Maridar
    Maridar Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    it's always up and down, do not despair, take it day by day. Indulged one day, try to do better the next day, control your urges. I always remember if you can't control what you are eating how can you control your life?:) I can't answer that question yet, I guess, I am still learning how to do it.
  • poppyetpear
    Options
    nope sorry we can't motivate you..you have to want it bad enough yourself.

I can give you ideas on how to motivate yourself...like the success threads, googling pics of before and after....that's what I did at the start...

Now I look in the mirror or my own before and after pics.

Again, I am *here* for friendly support, maybe motivation was the wrong word.
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Baby steps...you didn't put the weight on overnight and you won't lose it overnight either. When I'm bored at the end of the day, I just go to bed so I don't have time to snack. I wish I could get bored, I always have so much to do! Good luck to ya! :flowerforyou:
  • poppyetpear
    Options
    Thanks, cookie :D
  • Mojoman02
    Mojoman02 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    How will you know your progress if you don't have a scale? Where will you be weighing yourself? You could probably find one in a hospital, YMCA, etc. But if you don't have concrete goals and no way to measure them, then yes, you will be lost. What if you got in your car and didn't know where you wanted to arrive and just drove and drove and had not idea how many miles you need to drive to get there?

You have to want this BADLY. You have to want this more than any other goal you have going right now......if you don't make it a high priority, then yes, you will fail.

So how bad do you want it?? We are all here to help!! :smile:
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I would say that support comes in many forms - often that which you like the least is the closest to being useful.

Either way, just keep trying.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I feel you. I had YEARS worth of "day 1" and "start tomorrow". Yes I wanted it badly, more badly than I can express, as I was miserable in a fat body. But still that didn't stop me from continually pushing my goals off until some non-descript "tomorrow".

It doesn't change until you recognize that you aren't "failing", you're just choosing to put your enjoyment of food above your body goals. I had to recognize that food wasn't calling my name, I was DECIDING to eat in ways that weren't conducive to my goals. As miserable as I was I just didn't want it enough to affect change.

But if you have the power to stay the same, or get worse, than you in equal parts have the power to change. It took me years to own my power, but eventually I did. It got to the point where I couldn't stay fat anymore and I refused to let anything stop me.
    You don't realize just how strong you are until you get over the initial hurdles of discomfort.

Now I don't look at days as "failures" or "successes". I own that I chose to put every ounce of food in my mouth that goes in, or not. That's incredible freedom. I hope you find the same.
  • poppyetpear
    Options
    I use a tailors measuring tape to measure myself.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Bottle of wine and a footlong sub last night. Fail.

Back on the horse this a.m.