Kettle Bell Workout (UK)

Options
Hi

I would like to start a kettle bell workout at home to supplement my gym cardio classes. Has anyone got any recommendations for a dvd I could purchase and what weights I should purchase to start on. I am 5'3", couple of stone overweight but fairly average fitness level which is improving all the time but little weights experience.

Thanks,

Sarah

Replies

• angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Yes, one of my friends recommended this one.

One of the DVDs, I use is by Paul Katami (Kettle Bell Drills) he is a really good training and give you all the moves. I bought it from: www.collegevideo.com.
  • morty1966
    morty1966 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    make sure you check your form when doing kettlebells. I hurt my knees doing a bob harper kettle bell DVD, and I believe this was because I was too far forward, putting strain on my knees. It took a long time for them to recover.
  • angie007az
    Options
    make sure you check your form when doing kettlebells. I hurt my knees doing a bob harper kettle bell DVD, and I believe this was because I was too far forward, putting strain on my knees. It took a long time for them to recover.

Thanks for the warning. Important to protect the knees and the back.
  • Bloomsday
    Bloomsday Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You can also check out Pavel T. Cannot recall his last name at the moment but if you search for him and kettle bells online he will turn up. He has some great DVDs that show moves. It is not the kind of DVD where you exercise along with it but, rather, gives you many ideas to create your own routine.

YouTube is another place where I found good ideas.

Good luck! KBs are really great!
  • claudiakendall98
    claudiakendall98 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    There is a nice beginners routine on fitnessblender.com that is free. i started with 5 lbs but i am using 8 lbs weight now . I also have a question about how often to do kettle bell routine. I am assuming doing routine and rest one day.I have looked everywhere on line and can not find any reference about how often to use this routine. My muscles hurt enough that I am taking a rest day today.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Register at livefitrevolution.org and check out their recommendations for starter bells and their free workout videos. They're terrific. I have DVDs I paid a lot for but like Alysia's routines better. She's RKC certified, which is what you want. No Bob or Jillian, please.

I started with an 18lb (8kg) and quickly bought a 26(12kg).
  • angie007az
    Options

One of the DVDs, I use is by Paul Katami (Kettle Bell Drills) he is a really good training and give you all the moves. I bought it from: www.collegevideo.com.

Found the DVD mentioned above on Amazon.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

Found the DVD mentioned above on Amazon.
    I think the original link is supposed to be collAgevideo.com.
  • Thinspirational_Me
    Options
    I got a set of KBs just before Xmas and bought the DVD "Practical Kettlebell Trainining" on Amazon. Its made by London Kettlebells. Its pretty good for a beginner as there are a number of tutorials about moves and how to perform them correctly. Then there are a series of workouts, 5, 10 and 15 mins. So far I've used it a couple of times and whilst the production values aren't the best, in terms of actually getting a good KB workout, I think it scores pretty well.
  • Murf2014
    Murf2014 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Here are two (of the many) available on youtube.

8 minute kettlebell routine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8JbTKR50rk

20 minute kettlebell routine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2E3Qd5r3uM
  • SarahLou1111
    Options
    That's great - thanks very much all of you for pointing me in the right direction :-)
  • scottburger104
    scottburger104 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    You can also check out Pavel T. Cannot recall his last name at the moment but if you search for him and kettle bells online he will turn up. He has some great DVDs that show moves. It is not the kind of DVD where you exercise along with it but, rather, gives you many ideas to create your own routine.

YouTube is another place where I found good ideas.

Good luck! KBs are really great!

Yup I'm doing Simple and Sinister by Pavel tsatouline (spg?) He is the fellow who is primarily resposible for bringing kettlebells to the west. Great 30 minute workout. you might check out Strongfirst's website for more info.