Heart Rate Monitors

Options
I'd like to get a more accurate reading of calories I actually burn. Was looking into the FitBit but reviews are not very favorable, so I'm going to skip that until it improves. Any suggestions on what brand/type of heart rate monitor to get? What has worked well for you?

Replies

• PinkGemini612
    PinkGemini612 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I like my Polar FT 40. A chest strap is a must.
  • levy000
    Options
    I have a Polar FT60 - They are great!
  • _jessicamarie_
    _jessicamarie_ Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4. It's easy to use and relatively inexpensive (I got the cheapest color on Amazon). When I had some problems with it malfunctioning the customer service was incredibly helpful and they had it repaired and returned to me very quickly under the warranty service. It's been working perfectly now. Of all the people I know who own a hrm, all but one have this same model and they all love it.
  • nut4crew
    nut4crew Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I, too, have a Polar FT40, and agree a chest strap is a must. I had a wrist monitor before, and the Polar is better by leaps and bounds.
  • LisaGod85
    LisaGod85 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I recommend Polar as well. I have an F6 that I've had for years that works great. It made such a difference in my weight loss routine. A chest strap is a must for sure!

I recently upgraded to the H7 - I would suggest making sure if you get a syncing device that it is compatible
  • scottyg70
    scottyg70 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't use one, but I have been thinking of changing that. Polar seems to come up a lot and I've seen good reviews on them. I"m also looking at the Garmin Vivofit. Which is a device similar to the Jawbone Up and the Fitbit but it also measures your heart rate if you use the chest strap. I'm still doing my research, but I'm leaning towards the Garmin.
  • thatjosiegirl
    thatjosiegirl Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 is what I use! It works well, but honestly I kinda wish I had spent a few more $$$ and gotten the FT7.
  • oBuckethead
    oBuckethead Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I use a Garmin Forerunner 610 with the HRM.
  • SelliMariex
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 that I used in 2011 when I first started my first weight loss journey, and it was extremely accurate and great. I definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a HRM.
  • meleileen
    meleileen Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I just ordered the Fitbit yesterday. I wanted something that I could wear all day not just during workouts. I will give it a try but hear from members that the Polar is great, so if the Fitbit disappoints I may look into the Polar or the BodyMedia arm band (like on Biggest Loser).
  • ceruleanjen
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm liking the look and reviews of the Polar models. Will be sure to get the chest strap. Might look into the Garmin as well.
  • ceruleanjen
    Options
    I just ordered the Fitbit yesterday. I wanted something that I could wear all day not just during workouts. I will give it a try but hear from members that the Polar is great, so if the Fitbit disappoints I may look into the Polar or the BodyMedia arm band (like on Biggest Loser).

I was very tempted to get the Fitbit when I was at Verizon. Sounds cool. I hope it does not disappoint, but I haven't seen any reviews to say otherwise yet :-/
  • rhileyschubbygranny
    rhileyschubbygranny Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar HRM. I am not sure but I think I have the T4.
  • ZEmma2012
    ZEmma2012 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Love my polar FT4. Amazon had it the cheapest. Works well.