Ladies - Exercise/Diet and your Cycle

Options
So, how do you ladies maintain your exercise and diet plan during your cycle? I crave so much salt when I'm about to start AND I start cramping two weeks before. I cramp so bad during my period that I throw up and can hardly move.

What can I do to burn calories if I'm super nauseated and can't move for almost a week and a half?

Replies

• Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    You should see a doctor.
  • poppyetpear
    poppyetpear Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've seen many. Every one has told me that nothing is wrong, I just have really bad periods.

Thanks, though :)
  • jnkotara
    Options
    I had those exact symptoms for years and ended up being diagnosed with endometriosis. Perhaps you should suggest that to your gyno the next time you go?

Anyway, more helpful advice in the meantime would be to just do it. It is REALLY hard to get up and get motivated to exercise when you have cramps. The first few times I did it, I didn't think I could make it through, but eventually it was a cramp reliever for me. I mean honestly just try and take some pain reliever and just start going to exercise even when you feel like you can't. Even if you're just walking on a treadmill.

As far as diet goes, I crave salt too. I mean I could eat a whole bag of chips, no problem lol. As far as that goes, I give into it and just make sure I keep under my calories while doing so. Yes you will retain water, but oh well, you're already bloated from your cycle anyway right?

Don't know if this helped, but I thought I would comment since this was a struggle for me at one time.
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    What types of doctors do you see? I would recommend a gynecologist if you don't have one already. It is normal to crave salt during your period. In fact it is normal to crave several different things during your period. Its your body telling you what it needs. Typically these things range from magnesium, to salt / water, to carbs.

As far as the cramping two weeks before, I'm not entirely sure. Its something to see a gynecologist about. I'm not a medical expert. I have heard of a condition where the blood from your period can travel back into the fallopian tube and drip down onto your ovaries which can cause period cramps outside of your normal period cycle. That is something maybe to bring up to your doctor. Its not a serious condition (its just a quality of life one) and is treatable.
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    Unless the doc was a gynecologist AND you had an ultrasound, I would get a second opinion. It's not just your fitness at risk, but your health and your fertility (if that matters to you).
  • FindingMyPerfection
    FindingMyPerfection Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I cramp 2 weeks before my period for about 3 days. It is always only on one side and switches each month. I have discovered I am feeling the actual ovary that is ovulating for that cycle. I used to cramp to the point of throwing up when I was in my early twenties and thought I may have endometriosis. I got checked many times and it was always a no. PMS meds never worked. I did find that once I began lifting the intensity of the pain did go down. Now that I have had 2 kids I feel no pain except for the ovulation and even that has greatly reduced.
  • thatjosiegirl
    thatjosiegirl Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I had those exact symptoms for years and ended up being diagnosed with endometriosis. Perhaps you should suggest that to your gyno the next time you go?

^^^ ME TOO! Get a new DR and ask about the possibility! Same symptoms and same diagnosis for me.
  • sarawilgos1988
    sarawilgos1988 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I get cramp a lot and they told me I could have endometriosis but it turns out I only have one ovary so my cramping is because one ovary is doing a hell of a lot of work as you switch ovary every month, since i have been working out and dieting my cramp hasn't been so bad which I am happy with... Sorry I'm no help :(
  • tempehforever
    tempehforever Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I second the second opinion suggestion. See your OB/GYN to make sure it's not a symptom of something else. Even if it turns out that you do just have difficult periods, there are still things that can be done. I also used to have horrible cramps and heavy periods, and going on the right birth control pill and then eventually the Mirena IUD helped a ton.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    If it were me, and I bleed so heavy I become anemic, I would keep trying different doctors until I find one who will actually listen. This is not just an inconvenience.
  • 42nFab
    42nFab Posts: 36
    Options
    This was me for about 10 years of my life. That's when I took the bull by the horns and with my doctors advice I had a hysterectomy in May 2013. Yes it solved all of my cramping and nasty days in bed....however I also gained 15 pounds and I'm talking in my belly!!!!! Pure belly fat! NASTY!!!!!
    Like burning one evil for another one! Now I find I have to work even harder. My advice is this: if you are not dripping with sweat during your cardio for a least 20 mins of steady pushing, you are not working out hard enough. Going for walks with the dog does burn calories, but exercising your heart means something totally different!!! Cross training and building muscle so that when you are dying on the couch you still burn calories are all apart of this!

Back to the heavy period days......moderate exercise has been proven to help with cramping. These days I would do some fast walking just to clear your head and help the body process your pain. Just don't take any weapons with you because if your like me.....my mood during those times was a little irate.....lol.
  • wyattj99
    wyattj99 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    The more I work out and eat healthy the better mine have gotten.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    yesterday i was having the worst PMS day of my life. i was miserable and irritable and wanted to run out in front of a car. anyways, i had a cup of coffee when i got off work, that helped a little. then i hit the gym hard as fkcu. and i felt so awesome afterwards. but with nauseau not sure how you could do anything. sorry.
  • Azra124
    Azra124 Posts: 39
    Options
    Use depo to stop your periods.
  • stefanieraya
    stefanieraya Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Sounds familiar. Doctors have given you their feedback which doesn't solve your issue.
    I would suggest you seek out the advice of a nutritionist. Our diet/nutrition intake is the best way to heal your body. As females we have hormone issues daily. Check out Jillian Michaels book - Master Your metabolism and educate yourself about your hormones.
    Here is a snippet from her book regarding estrogen and progestrone.

Today we are talking about the hormones estrogen and progesterone.

These are steroid hormones which means they are created out of cholesterol. Men and women both produce estrogen and progesterone but our environment also thrusts a tremendous amount of estrogen on our bodies.

Estradiol is the estrogen of youth; in proper levels, it primarily helps women’s bodies stay lean. Estradiol lowers insulin and blood pressure levels, raises levels of muscle and lowers levels of fat. Estradiol helps regulate hunger by creating the same satisfied feeling that comes from serotonin. Similarly, it helps keeps your mood stable and your energy high, so you’re more motivated to exercise. Estradiol does put fat on your hips and butt, but remember – that fat actually helps your insulin response.

During menopause, your ovaries start to shut down and your production of estradiol decreases. Then estrone becomes your main estrogen, which really sucks. Estone immediately shifts fat from your butt and hips to your belly. As you lose more of your ovarian estrogen, your body becomes desperate to hang on to other estrogen-making areas of the body, including fat, making it harder for you to lose that belly fat.

Another of estrogen’s vicious cycles has to do with insulin. Insulin increases circulating levels of estrogen, and estrone causes insulin resistance. Progesterone helps to balance estrogen and can help manage some of these issues, so when progesterone levels drop, that creates problems, too.

This hormonal disruption comes from the overwhelming explosion of xenoestrogens in the environment. Ingredients in our cosmetics and the cleansers under our sinks to the preservatives in our foods and the plastics wrapping them are filled with endocrine-disrupting synthetic estrogens. Stress, a lack of quality fats or protein, and too many refined grains, sugars and processed foods also creates unhealthy levels of estrogen.

Hormone Trigger Foods: Estrogen and Progesterone:

Dietary fiber – The more fiber in the diet the better the natural estrogen disposal system works. Sources: fruits, veggies and whole grains

Flavones – May prevent testosterone from being converted to estrogen. Sources: Onions, black and green tea, and apples

Green Tea: Lowers levels of less healthy estrone while black tea raised them.

Indole-3-carbinol – Antioxidant helps stimulate detoxifying enzymes, Indole-3 blocks estrogen receptors on cell membranes, reducing the risk of breast and cervical cancer. Sources: Broccoli, cabbage, kale and brussel sprouts.

Pomegranate: Block estrogenic activity by up to 80 percent and prevents several different types of breast cancer cells from multiplying.

Alcohol: Postmenopausal women who had 1 drink a day increased their estrone levels by almost 7 percent. Those who had 2 drinks a day increased their estrone by 22 percent.

Caffeine: 2 or more cups of coffee or 4 cans of soda a day brought up levels of estrone. Limit yourself to 1-2 cups max of coffee and cut out soda altogether.

Fat – Trans fats encourage visceral fat, which encourages extra estrone production. Avoid any chips, crackers, cookies, or fried foods prepared with partially hydrogenated oils – they’re all loaded with trans fats.

Soy – Soy contains phytoestrogens called isoflavones. These compounds mimic estrogen, so technically they increase them. Stick to natural soy products due to the weaker form of estrogen they produce and keep your intake in moderation. Steer clear of concentrated isoflavone products, such as soy milk, soy nuts, or soy flour.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I have 2 things to say

One visit a doctor again to see what is going on

and 2 ask that doctor if taking a birth control will help you with the cramping (It does for most people)

Birth control helped me with my symptoms
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I get brutal cramps if I do cardio near the beginning of my period. I also get huge chocolate cravings. To be honest I just allow for it and work a bit harder the rest of the month. I set my intake about 50cal below my TDEE -20%so I have 1400 calories of wiggle room every 28 days.