Scared I'm gonna gain?

Options
So, today I ate around 1325, and my net was 994. I think it's too high...will I gain on this, if I eat around this, +/- 100-200 a day? I also am starting Tae Bo, does anybody have any good things to say about it? Mainly, just can I maintain on this, or should I eat a little less?

Replies

• EponineLove
    Options
    994 calories is WAY too little to be eating. You are putting your body ino starvation mode and could cause serious damage.

1325 will actually make you lose weight, depending on your height and current weight you can use an online calculator but maintenance is usually around 1700-2000 for a woman.

Good luck and don't worry! I sometimes do this too and it's hard but you'll soon get used to it and lose the guilt x
  • katieefranc0
    Options
    994 calories is WAY too little to be eating. You are putting your body ino starvation mode and could cause serious damage.

1325 will actually make you lose weight, depending on your height and current weight you can use an online calculator but maintenance is usually around 1700-2000 for a woman.

Good luck and don't worry! I sometimes do this too and it's hard but you'll soon get used to it and lose the guilt x

I'm 5'1, haha :p I had my calories way lower before, with a different calculator (only actually taking in 700-900), so I'm just getting past my fear of eating over 1000, so as soon as I saw that I got a little scared. Thank you! :)
  • jess17587
    jess17587 Posts: 153
    Options
    There is no way that your maintenance calories are 994 because you are definitely lights active or more or you do exercise if anything you will still lose. I mean you need to be having at least 1700 calories a day and I know that without even knowing your weight or height and even age trust me, you will not gain and you need to eat more if you are really panicked about this you should see your GP and explain that you have lost a lot of weight and now not sure how to maintain because you have been losing weight for like ages (half a year? Or more?) anyway and the doctor can make a appointment for you to see a dietician because the web isn't always reliable when you have a billion sites telling you a million different things
  • thohan99
    thohan99 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    There is a school of thought that calories do not directly equate to weight gain/loss, the quick example being that if you maintained a caloric deficit indefinitely, you would not eventually reach a weight of zero.

In any event, I'm convinced that adiposity (fat) specifically is mainly a function of hormones, of which insulin is the most important and the one we can affect most by avoiding sugar. It's not a particularly new idea but it is laid out by Gary Taubes in his book Why We Get Fat, which I heartily recommend.

That said, a calorie counter like MyFitnessPal works extremely well, whether the calories are causation or merely correlation, somehow it works for me to limit the calories. In any event, yes, don't starve yourself, that is in no one's interest, and don't go for 2 lbs a week as a goal, it's unnecessary and it behooves you to be patient and steady eating in a way that you can maintain as a lifestyle. Please excuse my wordiness, hope this helps.
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I don't think your current calorie level will allow you to sustain the energy you'll need for Tae Bo (or any other program for that matter). A couple of things:

-As you start to exercise more, your weight may go up (due to water retention, glycogen storage--other things).
    -As you start to eat more, your weight may also go up BUT this does not mean it is permanent and you may see things normalize as your body gets used to the increased calorie intake (see the "why you gain weight when you eat more than your cut" thread).

For reference and comparison, I am 5'1," 100 lbs, and my TDEE (total calories--exercise calories are included) right now is 1650 BUT I am in the process of gradually increasing them (to support my fitness goals).
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    1. You won't get fat by eating what your body needs to survive, which is the BMR. At your height, it's unlikely that your BMR is really under 1000. Honestly, you might want to consider talking to a health professional about your relationship with food if eating over your (too low) number causes you fear.

2. Taubes has been debunked, and the links to it have been posted on the forums, many times. Don't bother yourself with reading what he's selling.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    PLEASE eat more. Please. Everything you post suggests you're heading somewhere scary.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Yesterday you posted freaking out that you'd had two cheat days in a row, and then alluded to some really unsafe weight loss practices. I think you need to see a therapist because what you're posting on here could be triggering to some people and is also just really unhealthy.
  • tegalicious
    Options
    Yes. Please stop posting threads that elude to disordered eating.
  • ClariceHutchings
    Options
    I am upset that people want you to stop posting things that "elude to disordered eating". Nobody is forced to read it. It is a choice. I am worried about you. I agree with those who said it may be time to talk to a professional because you do seem to be nearing a danger zone.
  • oneloopygirl
    oneloopygirl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Yesterday you posted freaking out that you'd had two cheat days in a row, and then alluded to some really unsafe weight loss practices. I think you need to see a therapist because what you're posting on here could be triggering to some people and is also just really unhealthy.

After reading your two cheat days post, I'm entirely inclined to agree with this. You're on an unhealthy path. Fewer than 1,000 calories on a regular basis is not healthy at all. I do think you need some help sooner rather than later. Everyone has days that they eat more and days that they eat less, but to consider it scary to cross the 1,000 calorie mark is a sign of something much worse. You're setting yourself up for nutrient deficiencies and a lot of things that go with that.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Unless you're very short or have an abnormal BMR, this is not enough calories to maintain. Have you entered your info into MFP? If not, do that - it will give you an estimation of what you need.
  • tegalicious
    Options
    I am upset that people want you to stop posting things that "elude to disordered eating". Nobody is forced to read it. It is a choice.

My fitness pal is a website for healthy weight loss. Not a place for the glorification of eating disorders. And while you may not see it the same way, posts that elude to disorder eating patterns and methods can be triggers for those in recovery and can encourage disordered eating patterns in those who may be on the brink of developing disordered eating. I agree that she needs help. This was mentioned in several other posts she has made and yet she continues to make similar posts. If she is not going to take the advice of the many knowledgeable people on this forum and get help then I would prefer she not continue to make these kind of posts.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    You need to stop trolling little girl!! Seriously!! GROW UP!!!! In my line of work, we call this attention seeking behavior!!!
  • LTKeegan
    LTKeegan Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    There is a school of thought that calories do not directly equate to weight gain/loss, the quick example being that if you maintained a caloric deficit indefinitely, you would not eventually reach a weight of zero.

This is because the body likes to stay where it is, its called 'homeostasis'. You were alive and functioning at the weight you are therefore your body thinks that you will be alive and functioning at the weight you are in the future, so it wants to stay there. They did a study and eating 500 calories over your recommended 2,000 calorie diet will only cause you to gain 40-ish lbs in 10 years. Because your body really wants to stay where it is.

Same is true for weight loss.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I am upset that people want you to stop posting things that "elude to disordered eating". Nobody is forced to read it. It is a choice.

My fitness pal is a website for healthy weight loss. Not a place for the glorification of eating disorders. And while you may not see it the same way, posts that elude to disorder eating patterns and methods can be triggers for those in recovery and can encourage disordered eating patterns in those who may be on the brink of developing disordered eating. I agree that she needs help. This was mentioned in several other posts she has made and yet she continues to make similar posts. If she is not going to take the advice of the many knowledgeable people on this forum and get help then I would prefer she not continue to make these kind of posts.

This!!!!!!!!!!!
  • GretaGirl8
    GretaGirl8 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I think you would be amazed at how much more your body is capable of metabolizing if you upped your daily caloric intake--without gaining weight.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    If you're coming from even less calories then it is likely you'll gain- temporarily- when you try to get back to a healthy amount of calories. The reason is that severe restriction, like you've been doing, damages your metabolism and it will take time before it gets healthy again. The weight gain is TEMPORARY. The only other option is starving yourself indefinitely, which will lead to medical problems, hair loss, muscle wastage, hormonal issues, heart problems, and eventually it's life threatening.

You're young. You look quite a bit younger than 19, but I'll operate on the premise that you're 19. I wish someone had told me this when I was young and starving myself- if you don't fix this now, you're going to end up chubby in your early 20's and overweight around 25 and it's going to be REALLY hard to lose the weight. That's what long term metabolism damage does when you get older- it makes you fat and you can't eat less to lose weight. Fix it right now, start eating more, accept a few pounds of short-term gain for the sake of not being a fat adult that can't lose the weight.
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options

I'm 5'1, haha :p I had my calories way lower before, with a different calculator (only actually taking in 700-900), so I'm just getting past my fear of eating over 1000, so as soon as I saw that I got a little scared. Thank you! :)

While I understand everyone is different, metabolism, hormones, blah blah blah, you are NOT eating enough.

I'm 5' 3", 104 lbs and my maintenance is 1700. I have a full time desk job and also do a lot of sitting on my butt at home. Not to mention I'm 8 years older than you, and 19 year olds aren't known for having slow metabolisms, to my knowledge at least. :p

Please eat more before you harm yourself :(
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I am upset that people want you to stop posting things that "elude to disordered eating". Nobody is forced to read it. It is a choice. I am worried about you. I agree with those who said it may be time to talk to a professional because you do seem to be nearing a danger zone.
    The word you're looking for is allude. Sorry. I don't normally point out English errors but I had a hard time parsing the sentence with the wrong word in it.

This is a fitness site. She's a teen. Probably under age.
    She needs help with this. Not a website.
    THAT is what people are saying.
    She's admitted to using laxatives because she thinks she ate too much.
    She's admitted her period stopped
    She's admitted eating 700 calories
    She needs real live help, from an adult.
    This is not the place for a kid to work through an ED.