Has anyone done this?

Options
Good Morning MFP family. I have been really watching my food portions, exercising, etc. for a year. I have been blessed to lose a total of 70 pounds since last year this time. I really am feeling hungry (don't know why - not my TOM or anything), and while I don't want to go crazy, I was thinking of being a lax this weekend. What I mean is just going out with friends and enjoying some good meals (or in other words not cooking everything myself). Has any of you done this? Again, I'm not talking about eating a whole bucket of chicken or anything, just enjoying some meals that I really haven't had in quite some time. I'm still going to log just to see where I am. Maybe I should let this go or wait until I get invited to some Superbowl parties.

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If I understand correctly, you are asking if anyone has gone out with friends and eaten foods or amounts of food that they don't eat on a day to day basis. Is that correct?

If so, then yes, of course. I can't imagine a life where I didn't do this occasionally. Occasionally is the key. As long as I stay on track most days, the occasional high calorie day (and I'm not talking a binge of 10,000 calories) doesn't slow my progress.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Of course, all the time. Especially over Christmas.
  • MSSGAC
    MSSGAC Posts: 2
    Options
    Indulgence can be a fine part of any diet plan, so long as you are honest with yourself as to how far, and how often you will go. Sometimes rewarding yourself can be motivation to keep going, but it is dangerous to make a habit of. Going out for a meal or two certainly isn't the end of the world, it's just the making a habit of it part that will ultimately sabotage your goals.
  • mimieon
    mimieon Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Of course! I spent most of the holidays like this, trying to balance those days out with other days and some more exercise. And in this way, I didn't gain weight doing so.
  • specialsnowflake
    Options
    Of course. Just get back on track after your weekend. No long-term harm done. We all need a break from being super careful with our diets now and then.
  • kmantic
    kmantic Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Do it, if you can handle it. For some this might be the start of falling off the wagon.

Usually, if you've been eating clean for awhile and then over eat on junk food, you won't feel well and that can be a deterrent the next time.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    At least once a week...
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Never in my life.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I believe what you may be refering to is a Full Diet Break. And I fully intend to take one once I reach my next goal, just for 2 weeks though. I will eat my maintenance calories for 2 weeks and stop considering my macros as closely. I pretty much eat what I want now but i often forego treats when the calories aren't there, so during my break I will have an extra 500-750 cals to splurge with.

Breaks are good. Stopping the "diet" for a period is only going to be bad if you let it be a free for all binge fest. 70lbs is an amazing accomplishment- I am all for celebrating it (within reason).
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    You still want to live and enjoy life, right?
  • ldula88
    ldula88 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    If that's how you feel, do it!!! A little break from your routine will do you good and get you back in the mindset to continue on in your journey. I've found that having one day a month where I can eat whatever I want in whatever quantities I want really helps me not lose my mind. I usually pick the one day a month where it would be especially hard to stick to my Paleo/Primal lifestyle, for example: my birthday, Christmas Day, Superbowl, Valentine's Day, etc. but it could be anything. Some people say once a week is the key, but I find that to be much too often, especially because you have 2-4 days afterwards of waiting for the "post-cheat bloat" to go away. You will definitely see an upswing in the scale after your lax day, even as much as 5 pounds, but it will go away after a few days, it's really just water retention from sodium, etc, don't panic.

It's important to remember that, while you are committed to changing your lifestyle for the better, there are just going to be days every once in a while where you need to forget that you aren't where you want to be yet and just enjoy food. No guilt. If you want to eat a whole pint of Ben and Jerry's in one sitting, do it. (As long as it really is only every once in a long while, and doesn't become an every other night necessity.) Don't look back, because what's done is done, and feeling guilty over food isn't supposed to be part of a healthy lifestyle. Just make sure you get back to your regular routine the next morning. You don't even have to do extra cardio to make up for it. :)
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with enjoying social events with family and friends.

Go out and have a great time. I wouldn't even worry about logging your food. I would try to keep track mentally, but not to the point it interferes with the evening. Part of becoming healthier is developing a good relationship with food. Enjoying nights out and not stressing about it is part of it.

Build your diet around your life not your life around your diet.
  • kballard66
    Options
    I agree, I over indulge every now and then. I don't think of myself as being on a diet either, I hate the word diet, I am doing a life style change.
  • nedtoloseme
    nedtoloseme Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. One of the reasons I ask is because normally I just take a meal, not a whole day of eating what I want. Another question, did you have a large weight gain when you took it easy?
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I remember someone posting around the holidays something about how your diet is determined by what you do all year long, not just one month. I thought that was good advice. Go enjoy your meals and time with your friends, and just get back on track on Monday. None of us got fat over the course of a weekend.
  • ldula88
    ldula88 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. One of the reasons I ask is because normally I just take a meal, not a whole day of eating what I want. Another question, did you have a large weight gain when you took it easy?

Up to 5 pounds or so of gain, but it will go away after a few days, it's just water weight, not actual fat gain. :)
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    I did it for twelve straight days over Christmas and new years, It was no big deal, just some water and waste weight that was gone a few days later. You'll be fine.

Rigger
  • nedtoloseme
    nedtoloseme Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I agree, I over indulge every now and then. I don't think of myself as being on a diet either, I hate the word diet, I am doing a life style change.

I don't even think of this as a diet! I try to avoid the word also. This really is a lifestyle change to me - that's why I was wondering what others did.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

I don't even think of this as a diet! I try to avoid the word also. This really is a lifestyle change to me - that's why I was wondering what others did.

Everyone, whether they are trying to become healthier or they eat like complete garbage, is on a diet of some sort. Diet is just your eating habits. It has nothing to do with trying to lose weight or eat better. Shouldn't be viewed as a bad word. However, the phrase "I'm on a diet" for trying to eat better is a bit ridiculous.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with this. You are the only person that knows how you handle food. This can be great if you have self control and this doesn't make you go backwards. It can be bad of you start using your old habits and eat in a surplus for too long.