Gained 13 pounds since hysterectomy in June 2013

Hi,

I am about to be 43 and have gained 13 pounds since June . My eating has not changed the doctors have done all blood and thyroid work you can do. It showed nothing. Should I start taking something from gnc to get my metabolism going. Can someone tell me why I have gained weight ? I am hungry an hour after I eat and it's protein.

Replies

• Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    changes in hormones affect metabolism. Have you tried decreasing your caloric intake?
  • meleileen
    meleileen Posts: 46 Member
    I always felt hungry too! I changed my eating habits drastically this past week and noticed that after I got rid of the "junk" food (processed) I felt fuller. Also, if you are not drinking enough fluids your body may think it is hungry, so try drinking plenty of water. Your body is going though a significant change of hormones - try to stay positive! I wish you luck!
  • wendy_j441
    wendy_j441 Posts: 35 Member
    I had a hyster 3 years ago april fools day. Haha. I put on 30lbs and have tried various supplements and vitamins. I do however take a vitamin d, b and multi. I have noticed so many changes since my surgery and hate all of them.I have made up my mind to do things different. I am being more mindful of my diet and have taken up yoga and walk on my days off. It seems to be making a difference. I am feeling better and doing more and more exercise everyday. I cut out things like regular pop if I want one I will grab a diet. I didn't have any though for a month and what a difference. Feel free to add me I log in daily.
  • 42nFab
    42nFab Posts: 36
    Wow! I had my hysterectomy in May of 2013 and have put on 15 pounds to my already overweight body.....

Since Jan this year I have lost 8, but it has been so difficult. I think the change in the hormones and the fact that I will be 43 as well in May has slowed my metabolism. So........sorry to say it but you have to work that much harder. I am doing 4 days a week of Zumba and weight training (I used to only do 3 days of speed walking) and my calories don't exceed 1200. I am 5' 9" and weigh 196 right now. I have a long way to go.

My best friend who is the same age and has also had a hysterectomy is struggling too.....the only thing that works for both is the increase in high intensity exercise.

Thoughts?
  • 42nFab
    42nFab Posts: 36
    I had a hyster 3 years ago april fools day. Haha. I put on 30lbs and have tried various supplements and vitamins. I do however take a vitamin d, b and multi. I have noticed so many changes since my surgery and hate all of them.I have made up my mind to do things different. I am being more mindful of my diet and have taken up yoga and walk on my days off. It seems to be making a difference. I am feeling better and doing more and more exercise everyday. I cut out things like regular pop if I want one I will grab a diet. I didn't have any though for a month and what a difference. Feel free to add me I log in daily.
    i hear you on the "changes"........
  • wendy_j441
    i hear you on the "changes"........

They suck ......
  • wendy_j441
    Wow! I had my hysterectomy in May of 2013 and have put on 15 pounds to my already overweight body.....

Since Jan this year I have lost 8, but it has been so difficult. I think the change in the hormones and the fact that I will be 43 as well in May has slowed my metabolism. So........sorry to say it but you have to work that much harder. I am doing 4 days a week of Zumba and weight training (I used to only do 3 days of speed walking) and my calories don't exceed 1200. I am 5' 9" and weigh 196 right now. I have a long way to go.

My best friend who is the same age and has also had a hysterectomy is struggling too.....the only thing that works for both is the increase in high intensity exercise.

Thoughts?

I have been keeping my calorie intake around 1200 as well. The big thing I have done is trying to change the diet with healthier decisions. My daily intake of water. I was not drinking near enough. I am feeling alot better than I have and noticing the changes daily. It is a struggle post op. I have a pretty active job been doing yoga everyday for an hour. On my days off I increase it to 2-3 and walk for 3 miles.
  • loricshields47
    loricshields47 Posts: 134 Member
    I had my hysterectomy 4 years ago. I initially lost weight without making any real changes. In the past year I have lost almost 20 lbs, with more focus on eating enough (lots of protein and a balance of good carbs and healthy fats~and some treats along the way) and lifting weights (I do some cardio). I guess I was lucky.
    Keep trying, and maybe if your calorie goal is too low you need to start eating more to jump start your metabolism. Find a fitness program you enjoy and be patient.

Good luck
  • Thank you all so much. It is amazing how you can keep your ovaries and your body thinks you didn't . I had adenomyosis so i really did not have a choice about a hysterectomy. I do pretty well with water intake, maybe the exercise isn't enough. I bought Leslie Sansomes walk it off in 30. I unfortunately have fallen victim to the bad sinus infection and am now on an inhaler. Two years ago I was doing pretty well. I now understand what some women talk about. They say they have no motivation, I used to wonder why. I think people who have Fibro and meno have a tough time pulling out of the rut. My mother is a therapist and we joke about how you get put on an Ssri and you feel better and then you gain weight from that. Lol I know I have to work harder but I am think my metabolism has slowed to a crawl . What can I do to get it going?
  • Also they about to put me on minivelle and a rub on testosterone. Has anyone had success with this and lost weight?
  • I meant they are oh lord now I can't type
  • MissLakeTime
    MissLakeTime Posts: 59 Member
    Had my hysterectomy in October 2013. A few years ago I was 112 lbs., last year noticed a big lump in my stomach (scary) which ended up being a massive uterine fibroid and a very enlarged uterus approximately size of 5 mos. pregnancy.....
    As of now, I am 38, 5'1, SW: 150, CW: 144 -Same boat - 20lbs. to lose to get to my 1st goal. Feel free to add me.
  • You poor thing you are just now trying to even feel better aren't you?
  • heartsoulshannon
    heartsoulshannon Posts: 59 Member
    Hi ladies! I am very likely going to be having a hysterectomy soon. I'm 29, have adenomyosis PLUS CIN II and III on my cervix back in May and again now. Just waiting on one more test result to make sure there is no actual cancer and then saying goodbye to my uterus& cervix. I would LOVE to have some friends on here that understand what I'm going through!
  • kayjaycee9
    kayjaycee9 Posts: 18 Member
    Hi ladies! I am very likely going to be having a hysterectomy soon. I'm 29, have adenomyosis PLUS CIN II and III on my cervix back in May and again now. Just waiting on one more test result to make sure there is no actual cancer and then saying goodbye to my uterus& cervix. I would LOVE to have some friends on here that understand what I'm going through!

Feel free to add me. I had a radical hysterectomy back in August of 2012 and they took my uterus, cervix, ovaries and tubes. I'm basically a hollow shell!! I will admit I feel ten times better, have chosen to watch what I eat and have lost 25 lbs. I spin, walk and strength train too. I don't miss PMS but the hot flashes are unbelievable due to the fact it threw me into menopause immediately.