Cookbooks suggestions for healthy, kid friendly food?

Options
dmt4641
dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
I love cookbooks and have a ton already, but looking for some new books with kid friendly recipes that are healthy and preferably include nutritional information. It seems like family friendly recipes books are either too healthy or "out there" so that my kids won't eat them, or too kid friendly so that my husband and I have to eat nothing by chicken fingers and variations of mac & cheese. Its hard to find a balance where we can all eat the same food and all enjoy it.

Thanks in advance for you suggestions!

Replies

• looneytunes32
    looneytunes32 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Are you looking for kid friendly as in, they can help in the kitchen? If so, my daughter has this one, and it's pretty good:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/kids-fun-and-healthy-cookbook-nicola-graimes/1102230794?ean=9780756629168
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Why can't your kids eat what you eat? Make 1 meal, something that you and your husband enjoy, and give your kids smaller portions of it. Then, fill the rest of their plate with fresh fruit or veggies, a yogurt cup, string cheese, or something like that.

They'll only learn to try new foods if those foods are being put in front of them on a regular basis.
  • ThePinkAvenger
    Options
    I got rid of those kid friendly cookbooks, and most of them aren't the healthiest. But my favorite recipe was semi-healthy (if you sub healthy mayo alternative)

Tuna Fish Ice Cream
    - canned tuna
    - mayo (or alternative) - I used Greek Yogurt
    - pickle relish
    - pitted olive
    - ice cream cones (regular style)

Mash drained tuna and mix with mayo/yogurt and a little pickle relish. Scoop into Ice Cream Cones. Put 1 Pitted Olive on top. Hand to child.

(My son loved these)

T
  • dmt4641
    Options
    Why can't your kids eat what you eat? Make 1 meal, something that you and your husband enjoy, and give your kids smaller portions of it. Then, fill the rest of their plate with fresh fruit or veggies, a yogurt cup, string cheese, or something like that.

They'll only learn to try new foods if those foods are being put in front of them on a regular basis.

This is what we do - they eat what we eat and we will supplement the meal with yogurt, applesauce, fruit or something if it is something we are not sure they will like. At the same time, there are some things that I know realistically they just won't eat so I try to make things we would all enjoy. I would rather them eat a full serving of real food they enjoy then try and coax them to take one bite of "yucky" food and eat only yogurt for dinner. I'm trying to find that balance.
  • dmt4641
    Options
    Are you looking for kid friendly as in, they can help in the kitchen? If so, my daughter has this one, and it's pretty good:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/kids-fun-and-healthy-cookbook-nicola-graimes/1102230794?ean=9780756629168

I'm looking for either - something I would make or they can help me in the kitchen. My 3 year old really loves to help me in the kitchen. Thanks for they suggestion!
  • dzlilo
    dzlilo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I recommend Crescent City Moons, Dishes, and Spoons by the Junior League of New Orleans.

http://www.amazon.com/Crescent-City-Moon-Dishes-Spoons/dp/0960477454

This cookbook is kid friendly for them to help cook and eat! It offers different chapters for the little ones and for the older kids. Most recipes are also adult friendly. The style of food is not boring (in my opinion anyway). All the recipes were tested by kids from the cooking process through the eating process!

I have this book in PDF form and am happy to share with you guys if you'd like to take a peek before buying the hardcover... or you can just keep the full PDF ;-) PM me your email if you're interested.
  • dmt4641
    Options
    Thanks! I'll pm you.
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    This is something I love and my kids love.. It's healthy and an easy fix for lunch or snack. Banana and Nutella wrap. Just spread Nutella on a soft tortilla ( watch how much you put, Nutella is healthy but can add up fat and calories), Cut a banana lengthwise and roll it up and enjoy. It is heaven in a wrap!:love:
  • dmt4641
    Options
    This is something I love and my kids love.. It's healthy and an easy fix for lunch or snack. Banana and Nutella wrap. Just spread Nutella on a soft tortilla ( watch how much you put, Nutella is healthy but can add up fat and calories), Cut a banana lengthwise and roll it up and enjoy. It is heaven in a wrap!:love:

That sounds delicious. I haven't brought Nutella into the house recently because I find myself eating it straight out of the jar with a spoon. Have you tried Justin's Chocolate Hazelnut Butter? It is a slightly healthier version of Nutella with less sugar. It is not as sweet so I don't end up eating it in large quantities and my kids like it.
  • robynrae_1
    robynrae_1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options

NUTELLA is not healthy. It is frosting with only little hazelnuts in it. I can find Chocolate frosting with less sugar in it.
  • v70t5m
    v70t5m Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Dreena Burton has written 4 cookbooks, and is raising three children on her recipes. While I don't have kids myself, my niece and hubby (who eats like a kid) both enjoy the recipes I've listed below.

I recommend Dreena's last two cookbooks: let them eat vegan! and eat drink and be vegan. No, you do not have to be vegan to enjoy the recipes!

She has a blog and you can trial some recipes to see if they would be a fit for your family - http://plantpoweredkitchen.com/recipe-page/.

I highly recommend:
    (From LTEV)
    Moroccan Bean Stew with Sweet Potatoes
    Fresh Blueberry Oat Squares
    White Bean Mashed Potatoes
    Corn Chowder Quinoa Casserole
    Winter Veg Chickpea Potpie
    Peanut Thai Vegetable Stew
    Mac-oh-geez!
    Rustic Piecrust (great with the Potpie)
    Indian-Inspired Rice
    Simplicity Asparagus
    Thai Chickpea Almond Curry

(From EDBV)
    Broccoli Cashew Teriyaki Tofu Stir-Fry
    Garlicky Broccoli, Corn & Bean Burritos
    Monkey Minestrone (best soup recipe I've ever tasted)
    Raspberry Cornmeal Pancakes
    Seared Portobello Mushrooms
    You got Peanut Butter in my Chocolate Cookies