Invited friends over for lunch - what should I make?

Options
I invited 2 girl friends over for lunch tomorrow.

I have NO IDEA what to prepare.

I'd like it to be tasty and healthy and relatively low calorie - any suggestions for a menu or links to FAV recipes?

Going out shopping this afternoon.

Pink

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    Liquid lunch sounds good to me.
    margaritas, daquiris
  • ThePinkAvenger
    Options
    LOL - I don't drink - BOOZE HOUND - so, that's not likely - although my friends might appreciate the menu choice.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Homemade soup, chili or stew, maybe with a salad.

Fish tacos with guacamole

Hummus w/ veggie sticks, and tuna salad on a bed of spinach

Buffalo chicken wraps

Veggie cheese omelets
  • jolancy
    jolancy Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    The Hairy Dieter's All-in-one spicy pork and rice recipe is a favourite

http://www.hairybikers.com/recipes/all-in-one-spicy-pork-and-rice/1753
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Steak
    Salad
    Beer
    Perfect
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Umm.. something good..

baked salmon w/ garlic mashed potatoes and greek style green beans along with a winter root soup and an italian side salad with proscuitto in it

thats a decent amount of work but it'll be well spent calories and wont look like diet food... quadruple the recipe on the root soup
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    - Grilled chicken salad
    - Taco salad (I use 1-2 cups of spinach or lettuce, topped with about 2 or 3 ounces of cooked ground turkey seasoned with taco seasoning, a tbsp. of shredded cheese, and scallions - you could also add tomatoes, black olives, and/or a dab of sour cream)
    - Homemade soup and wrap sandwiches
    - egg white veggie omelettes
  • wjrapp
    wjrapp Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Green salad with lots of dark greens. I usually put out a 'salad bar' with avocado, olives, chick peas, green peas, tomatoes, purple onions, carrots, mushrooms, maybe tuna, diced chicken breast, a couple of cheeses, etc even strawberries, blue berries, pecans and feta cheese and a light Raspberry vinaigrette dressing ...offer at least three kinds of dressings...olive oil based. I usually make my own. That goes over really well, as they can add what they like.
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    When having people over I like to have at least 1/2 the menu something I can make ahead of time so that I am not busy in the kitchen the whole time the guests are there or frantic the morning before they arrive.

A cold dip with crudites can be made the day before. You can chop up ingredients for a salad and put the salad together right before they get there. Serve that with chicken salad sandwiches on fresh croissants and pick up a prepared dessert from a bakery so you don't have to worry about making it.

Sorry missed that you wanted low calorie for yourself. You could make the same menu above by eat your chicken salad over the salad and skip dessert. Your guests may want dessert though....
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Do you have a panini press? You could get assorted deli meat, cheeses, some fancy toppings and good bread and make your own paninis. If you don't have a panini press you can just cook it like grilled cheese. Then you could just make a salad or soup to go with the sandwiches.
  • ThePinkAvenger
    Options
    Awesome suggestions guys. Keep 'em coming. Plus - soup recipes...
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste.com

Crock Pot Sante Fe Chicken - whole family loves this and only like 190-200 calories per cup.

Most downloaded recipe of 2012.

^^^For the win^^^
  • Dfracassa
    Dfracassa Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I found two on Allrecipes.com that are awesome, and filling, and low-cal while being gluten-free and vegetarian (if that's your thing). Look them up: Vegetarian Chickpea Sandwich Spread, and Good For You Greek Salad. For the first, mash some chickpeas and mix them with a little mayo, chopped celery, onion and a red bell pepper, a splash of lemon juice, dill and salt and pepper. I put it on gluten-free toasted bread. The salad is chopped cucumbers and tomatoes, slices of red onion, feta cheese, olive oil, a splash of lemon juice, salt and pepper, and oregano. SO delicious.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Awesome suggestions guys. Keep 'em coming. Plus - soup recipes...

Here are some soup recipes I have pinned lately. I haven't made any of these but I look through recipes before I pin them to make sure they don't seem "off" and have usually had good luck with the ones I've tried.

http://www.pinterest.com/kruggeri/no-soup-for-you/

I also second the Santa Fe Chicken recommendation it is very easy/good. We make that a lot.
  • train_01
    train_01 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Chili in the crock pot is always a fave. I also like to make "Mexican Pie". Layer tortillas (6-cut in half, four halves on each layer), pinto beans (rinsed), salsa or fresh pico, ground meat of any kind (seasoned with taco seasoning) (I ususally just use what I have leftover), thinly sliced zucchini (or any other squash), any veggies you want, and a bit of white cheese. Three layers, cook in the microwave for about 10 minutes. It's very filling and only about 350 cals per serving (Depending on what kind of tortillas you use and what kind of meat/cheese. The whole thing makes 4 servings but I usually only eat a half of a serving because it's so filling :)
  • AJLovinLife
    AJLovinLife Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    How about wild caught salmon, butternut squash and cauliflower gratin, and a nice mixed green salad. I love this stuff! http://www.eatlifewhole.com/2012/02/roasted-cauliflower-gratin-with-butternut-squash/
  • ThePinkAvenger
    Options
    Thanks for all the great suggestions everyone.