alcohol

Options
Is it ok to have a drink every now and then and if so what is most acceptable

Replies

• morawjo
    morawjo Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I feel it is perfectly fine. My trick is to mix liquor (i.e. vodka, rum etc) with either Perrier (or other soda water), Sugar free Red Bull, or any other diet soda. That way you aren't packing the extra calories. I find when I do this...I don't gain any weight.
  • philipjhill1
    philipjhill1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I like beer buts it full of Calories. My strategy is to set my weightloss target to something realistic. (say 2lbs a week if you think you would lose 4 without the alcohol) then to add up my calories (180 per beer) over the week and set my daily target so on average I am down - therefore say 1500 cal's a day leaves me a 450 calorie defecit. 2 pints = 360 cal's the rest is a sort of buffer for losing weight. I dont drink every day though.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Red wine in moderation (4 oz/day) is actually good for you- but keep in mind you body processes alcohol differently, so it can slow you weight loss down...
  • CHANGES4ME
    CHANGES4ME Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I dont know bout u dude but every nite b 4 bed, i drink a bud lite...& every now & then a swig of whiskey... my bf ( 4 a little longer ) makes me a maragrita.....i mite b tryin 2 lose; well i am actually; lol.. 49 lbs is a lot... i am not gonna totally restrict myself from everything i like ... so drink up dude....
  • dawnalis
    Options
    I'm about to go to Mexico and consume alot of alcohol, and I have no delusions that I'm not going to gain weight, but this is my vacation and if I have to work extra hard when I get home then so be it! But in day to day life I don't see anything wrong with having a couple drinks, as long as you don't go overboard and try to incorporate them into your daily calorie totals!!!
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I do it and have done it since I started my journey. I try to keep the alcohol glutony down to one or two nights a week and as much as I've loved my beer liquor's quicker and has fewer cals per ounce. (Unless you're drinking that god foraken miller 64 in which case just switch back to water. That sh's love in a canoe.) I'll drink whiskey on the rocks (or just shoot it depends on how bad my days been- today I may just hook up to the bottle) and drink water in between. Rum and diet, vodka tonics etc... The problem I have with the diet drink is the danged salt. Just like any "junk food" as long as it's in moderation, you're prepared to account for it in your food tracking and it's not all the time... do what you're gonna do. This ride's WAY too long not to have a little fun. :drinker:
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I drink every Friday night with my friends. I do think it slows my progress, but only because sometimes I find it difficult to stick to my 1200 the next day!! A combination of hangover and no exercise leaves me carb starved, so I tend to have to really fight the carb urges. Some Satrudays I win, some I lose.......

You really have to be disciplined, but defo worth it :wink:

PS. On the friday I'm not usually over my cals as I exercise lots and tend to eat lighter. Basically so I can drink more :laugh:
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    This ride's WAY too long not to have a little fun. :drinker:

Totally agree!! :flowerforyou:
  • dawnalis
    Options
    I am pretty much strictly a beer drinker, hard alcohol affects me in a rather negative way and even if I did drink it I couldn't do the diet pop thing cuz I can't stand the taste of aspartame and besides that the sh%t's super bad for you! moderation is always key in anything sometimes it's just hard to moderate..lol!