Replies

• bree1609
    bree1609 Posts: 136
    Options
    Thank you for this this, and well done!
  • dcr5452WECHANGED
    dcr5452WECHANGED Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Was this at Jellystone park by chance ? All I could think of is Yogi bear when I read it. Just pack some good foods into that picnic basket for after your workout.
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    Sometimes we put ourselves last....not this time boo boo great advice
  • DezSheMeetHerGoals
    Options
    Sage advice.
  • framingsammie
    framingsammie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I really enjoyed reading this! :)
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    What an awesome and inspiring post to start the day! Thanks Boo Boo!! :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • mlauraa
    mlauraa Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    It's all About You, BOO BOO! love it, i usually never read long posts but this one stood out. Everyone fears the judgmental people but sometimes you just have to let the fear go and think about what you really want..be intimidated for the rest of your life or ignore the judgement and focus on yourself!
  • crash_aly
    crash_aly Posts: 112
    Options
    This is so true and exactly what so many people need to hear! Thanks for taking the time to share!
  • jennifer_a00
    jennifer_a00 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Great post. It's so true! Thank you, I will be thinking about this as I go through my day today.
  • Sharon_73
    Sharon_73 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Thank you for writing this. I think the message can resonate with so many of us.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I saw this and was terrified it was going to be a Honey Boo Boo thread. I am very much relieved.
  • MNBardsley
    MNBardsley Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    "I wrote this post because most of us have no clue why we fail at getting fit."

Because people are lazy and give themselves excuses. This is evident in the fact that when sections of people say they are now starting a weight loss plan, they then blame other things such as metabolism when it doesnt work. So when they lose weight it is all self-credit, but when they dont it isnt their fault.

Fitness admittedly is challenging but then again, isnt that a good thing?

I disagree.

I believe in most cases that laziness and excuses are symptoms of a bigger problem, not the problem itself. If the challenging part of fitness was the hard work and the time to do it, SO many more people would be fit. The multi-billion dollar industry of self-help books, diet plans and exercises promising abs in 5 minutes/day kill the appeal of balanced nutrition and exercise. If you repeatedly tried diet plans and exercises that promised a sexy body and they all ultimately failed, you tell me if you wouldn't you be inclined to save face and blame genetics?

But if someone gets the advice right, then I agree with you that the next step is to cut excuses, conquer fears and get to work. And if they manage to put in the work and achieve that body of their dreams, then they are entitled to take 105% of the credit for each pound lost. Not one damn person besides them showed up to the gym or made the choice to eat a salad instead of pizza.

However, you are entitled to your opinion. Thanks for the discussion! :drinker:
  • MNBardsley
    MNBardsley Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Btw, I took the advice from an early response and posted it to the blogs. Same story, not as many grammatical errors! Thanks for the support, all!
  • loconnor466
    loconnor466 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I actually found it on the blogs first, so thanks so much for posting there!
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Great post. Thanks for taking the time.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Thank you for writing this! Fantastic post!
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    The best fitness advice I have received thus far was from a hobo at Lake Eola. I went for a run and was trying to switch playlists on my iPhone when a guy congratulated me on exercising. It was very odd but we chatted briefly about how you have to take responsibility for yourself. I think he meant in in a general "life" kind-of-way but it struck a chord, especially since he told me as I walked away, "it's all about you, boo boo!"

It was such a weird encounter that I thought about it while I ran and two scenarios came to mind:

1) A friend of mine wanted to join me with my trainer at the gym. It is a CrossFit-type setup and he wanted to get in shape but has made excuses the last 4 times. I asked about it and he said he was afraid of not being fit enough and didn't wanted to be judged. I've been there (and still feel it sometimes) but you just have to conquer fear and walk into a gym and look like a noob and workout. There is no other way.

I told him it can be awkward at first but ultimately we all start out as beginners and you will find judgey people even outside the gym. They will judge if you workout or if you don't so you may as well do what you need to do. Letting other people's opinions hold you back from an awesome life is a ****ty way to live.

2) Whenever I mention training, my dad always has always made a comment about it being too late, too cold, too far, too hot, etc. He has told me about people dying on runs and when I pulled my back lifting weights, he said it was probably time to look into other options. His advice isn't malicious and he is proud of what I accomplish. But he has never completed this journey so he doesn't know what it takes.

Be careful who you take advice from. Find someone who has completed the same journey you are on and ask advice from them. For the same reason I don't take money advice from someone deep in consumer debt is the same reason I choose fitness advice carefully. Even your fit best friend may not know how you should get in shape if she has never been "unfit". Use your friends and family for their love and support but figure out your game plan from someone who knows what is going to work best for you.

I wrote this post because most of us have no clue why we fail at getting fit. We are intimidated by complete strangers, because a few of them are judgey, and fail to start our journey or keep up with it. And if we we do take action, we get pummeled with a ton of contradictory advice. Maybe we start with eating healthy, exercising and getting enough sleep but before long we are doing high intensity cardio, taking fish oil supplements and eating 5 meals a day, every 2.5 hours so our muscles don't cannibalize our body...

That wise, homeless guy was right: this journey is about you and what actions you take.Take that first step and start your journey and once you do, gain momentum by sticking to the basics of what works: nutritious food, exercise and sleep. If you need a further explanation, ask someone whose opinion will actually benefit you. Take responsibility for your personal success because ultimately "It's all about you, boo boo"!

So incredibly true, especially the bolded sentences. It helps so much to have a mentor, even if they don't know you use them as a mentor. (Learned that in AA. ;-) haha!)

Taking responsibility for my actions is what got me to where I am today. After YEARS of blaming others, I decided not to let the "they's of this world" hold me back. Who cares what THEY think? I'll make progress, kick *kitten*, and THEY will still be miserable jerks. :bigsmile:
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    "I wrote this post because most of us have no clue why we fail at getting fit."

Because people are lazy and give themselves excuses. This is evident in the fact that when sections of people say they are now starting a weight loss plan, they then blame other things such as metabolism when it doesnt work. So when they lose weight it is all self-credit, but when they dont it isnt their fault.

Fitness admittedly is challenging but then again, isnt that a good thing?

I disagree.

I believe in most cases that laziness and excuses are symptoms of a bigger problem, not the problem itself. If the challenging part of fitness was the hard work and the time to do it, SO many more people would be fit. The multi-billion dollar industry of self-help books, diet plans and exercises promising abs in 5 minutes/day kill the appeal of balanced nutrition and exercise. If you repeatedly tried diet plans and exercises that promised a sexy body and they all ultimately failed, you tell me if you wouldn't you be inclined to save face and blame genetics?

But if someone gets the advice right, then I agree with you that the next step is to cut excuses, conquer fears and get to work. And if they manage to put in the work and achieve that body of their dreams, then they are entitled to take 105% of the credit for each pound lost. Not one damn person besides them showed up to the gym or made the choice to eat a salad instead of pizza.

However, you are entitled to your opinion. Thanks for the discussion! :drinker:

Agreed on both view points. Some of us want a magic bullet, and some people just get bogged down in the minutia and the lies/deceit (marketing, PR, etc.) and just give up. I don't believe that the various industries are to blame completely; I think we all have to realize, at some point, that there is little truth in advertising, in many cases. I have a marketing degree and still get duped sometimes...but not as often as I did 10 or 20 years ago. Progress, not perfection, but these are all good lessons.