Bottled green tea is bad??

Options
Hey guys, question! So I ditched the soda's for a few months now and switched over to bottled Green Tea. The Citrus kind by Lipton. Well this morning I had Cheerwine for breakfast, I know, I feel so extremely guilty now :'( But I noticed there's the same amount of calories in Cheerwine as there is in Green Tea! 100! WHAT?! I'm so confused, I thought Green Tea was better than soda and have wasted so many months drinkin this stuff! There's 27g of sugars in GT and 28g in CW. Smh I've gotta start paying more attention to labels. What green tea am I supposed to be drinking? I don't like water and I especially don't like plain hot tea. What do i do.....?

Replies

• Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    If you are only caring about calories, and not health, than maybe the soda is on the same level as the green tea. The green tea should be less acidic than the soda, but green tea is something that is really easy to make at home. A fresh preparation is going to be a lot better than a bottled tea.
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    Green tea is good for you...it's the added sugar that Lipton puts in it that adds the calories. Make your own green tea and add less sugar, stevia, etc.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Look at the ingredients. Does it say TEA? Maybe tea and sugar? Then it is relatively healthy. May have a lot of sugar though.
    Do the ingredients have oodles of other stuff that is not tea or sugar? Then it is liquid candy. Lipton Brisk in a can is nothing more than liquid sugar.
    Make your own tea. It is easy, cheaper and you know exactly what is in it
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I only drink green tea made with teabags. GT shouldn't be served with sugar or milk. That's like putting beef in coffee to me. :D
  • smelius22
    smelius22 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Mmmm I love green tea! I get a 44oz one every morning from a tea shop in my town.

If you don't have a "tea bar" type store in your area, you can make it at home and it tastes just the same.

I buy Lipton green tea bags and brew my own and don't add anything. Zero cals and cheap!

ETA: if you buy the bags you can also drink it hot instead of coffee in the mornings. I love doing that when it's cold
  • RLeighP
    RLeighP Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    So much easier to brew your own. Make a lot at one time and pour up some in the morning, it's really just as quick, and cheaper. I make tea and pour it up in mason jars and stick in my fridge, easy to grab in the morning! Add some honey and it's still sweet but way healthier.
  • kaytaydeb
    kaytaydeb Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If you like bottled green tea, then you might like iced green tea you make at home. In the summer, I'll put green tea bags in one my reusable cups (sometimes flavored green tea) and stick it in the fridge over night. In the morning, tea bags come out and frozen fruit goes in. The fruit acts as ice cubes and adds flavor. If I don't have frozen fruit, then some times I'll add some of the liquid drink mixes (no sugar, no calories). My favorite is the mango crystal light one with mango green tea.
  • CathieRochester
    Options
    I make sun tea in a 32 oz. mason jar and ice it down during the day. Add a little sweetner. The best is earl-grey.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Some of the benefits from Green Tea are not present in the bottled version.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/187939-facts-on-lipton-green-tea-in-bottles/

Everything in moderation.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Nothing is bad. Have a 100 calorie tea everyday if it fits in your calorie goal...

Every drink has calories except water and diet soda.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Have you been logging it all this time and never noticed the calories?
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Hint , green tea shouldn't have food dye. Basically anything with FD&C food dye in it probably isn't real food.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It's the sugar in both soda and the green tea that contains the calories. If you want to lower the calories, you need to get the diet tea. Or brew your own at home without sweetener.

Bottled green tea is healthy if it's brewed. If it's made from a powder it will not have the same antioxidant level as if it’s brewed. It’s the antioxidants that make green tea healthy.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Hint , green tea shouldn't have food dye. Basically anything with FD&C food dye in it probably isn't real food.

Food dye does not magically change food into something other than food. It just makes it more cosmetically appealing.
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Starbucks Tazo green tea bags that are pretty yummy. I brew about 32 oz at a time and I add 1 TBS stevia to the pitcher while it's still warm then chill it and drink. I also like the Lipton Green bottled teas mixed berry and citrus DIET. I don't drink them often but they're good to grab if I'm out and about and want something better than diet soda.
  • OperationSkinty
    OperationSkinty Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am not too big on hot tea either but I do like iced tea. I usually drink Bigelow mint green tea. I let it steep for a few minutes then poor it over ice with a packet of splenda. It's refreshing and tastes better than just plain green tea.
  • zapinkleopard
    Options
    Read your labels and probably see if you can find a diet green tea. I buy diet green tea and it has zero calories.
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any in awhile, but I used to get an Arizona Diet Green Tea with Ginseng. No calories, and while there were some artificial sweeteners, it didn't taste syrup sweet.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    drink whatever you like as long as it fits into your day and under your calories. to that end, don't label foods as "good" or "bad", "healthy" or "unhealthy". simple.

also, unless you have a medical condition that requires you to limit your sugar intake, don't worry about it.

I recommend reading this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    If you are only caring about calories, and not health, than maybe the soda is on the same level as the green tea. The green tea should be less acidic than the soda, but green tea is something that is really easy to make at home. A fresh preparation is going to be a lot better than a bottled tea.

And neither are even remotely as acidic as your stomach contents.

Green tea and soda are health-wise virtually identical.