losing wieght steadily?

Options
hi everyone,.

Im new on teh forum although ive been using the app on and off for a while now, but ive decided to make a concious effort with the arriveal of my son coming anyday now.

I put all my details into the app, and it came up with 1620 calories per day.

I was finding this tough, so i increased it manually to 2000 calories per day and Ive started to go out running every 2nd or 3rd Day.

My understanding is that a mans normal calorie intake to maintain weight is between 2200 and 2750 calories per day, so im thinking that at 2000 calories a day with excercise I should bea ble to lose weight steadily.

Im also wondering about calories burned that I pehaps dont take into account normally i.e.

I walk from my carpark to my office and back every day
I walk to the water machine 3/4 times a day
I walk around the office a good 3 times a day
and I also an up and down the stairs in my house 5/6 time a day

all of that is at a less that brisk pace, but I would imagine there is still some sort of burn from that?

im planning to lose about 1/2 per week, because I had a what I would only call disgusting diet before I started this,
I would eat 4 packets of crips and 3 chocolate bars every day and 2 bottles of juice every day, no breakfast and then dinner which always used to consist of chips or something that wasnt always good for me.

problem is I dont like or eat pasta or rice so not sure what else I can replace them with?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    It's hard to say whether or not this plan will work for you without your stats. Try it and find out! Track your intake and your weight loss and adjust up or down after you give your body a few weeks to adjust.

Yes, walking always burns calories. So does sitting. Sleeping. Being alive in general. Most of those calories are already factored into your goal here at MFP, though.

If you choose to use MFP's goal of 1620, the site expects you to log your running and will add extra calories to your goal once you've earned them. If you set your own goal you should already taking exercise into account so you wouldn't need to worry about the added calories (depending on how you set the goal, of course).
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    I maintain on 3100ish a day. Not knowing your stats, I don't know what your caloric needs are, but it sounds like your lifestyle is basically sedentary. As for what to replace your chips with as a side, not that you have to, but how about vegetables and fruit?

Rigger
  • russhartley37
    Options
    I don't know if 2000 calls is going to get you what you want. I would reset my goal at .5 lbs per week loss and check off the box for sedentary lifestyle. If you go to apps then BMR it will tell you based off your height and weight, gender, and age what your daily normal burn is.(Mine was 2010 calories a day as a 22yr old male, 5'10" with 220lbs) You're trying to lose weight…. the first few days will feel hard because your body is losing all the crap you eat and the normal caloric intake. After 5 days or so it'll feel normal and after a few weeks you'll be stuffed after eating half of what you used too. Ultimately, it's your choice and diet, but I promise you that I swear by this site. I've lost roughly 10lbs in 23 days. Granted it fluctuates with water weight by about 3 pounds per day, but it's working and I've used a lot of other sites.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I was given 1620 per day by MFP to start with and managed reasonably well. Just for your comparison I am 5'10 46 years old and 328 lbs at the time.

By swapping out a lot of the calorie dense, less filling foods and concentrating on bulky, lower calorie foods made it seem fairly easy.

I am down to 189 now and have increased my calories to 1700 to slow the loss down to 1 lb per week and seem to hit this fairly consistently.

The activities you have listed would be part of a sedentary lifestyle as far as I am concerned and you shouldn't worry about logging calories bunt from those.

I do very little exercise so you are way ahead of me with the running and MFP is designed to have you eating back calories gained through exercise (provided you log them as accurately as possible)

Due to the over estimated listings on MFP people will often advise eating back 50% of them, but either way you end up eating more than the calories initially assigned.