RUNNERS: Road or Sidewalk ?

Options
I have to run on the sidewalk because it's the center of town, but on less traveled residential streets, I'll go on the road unless the local center school lets out.

Replies

• Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I always run on sidewalks, that's what they're there for. Roads are for cars and bikes, sidewalks are for all other pedestrians. Running in roads just impedes traffic and puts you more at risk to getting hit.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I always run on the sidewalk. Even if it's pretty much empty, it's still safer to be off the road. Not to mention your muscles usually get more of a work out on the pavement because it's less flat than the road. (At least where I live).
  • Krista916
    Krista916 Posts: 258
    Options
    I live in the country so I have no sidewalks. It's road for me. If I had an option, it would depend on if the sidewalk was asphault or cement. If it's cement, I would chose an asphault road. Much better on your body then running on cement.
  • shell13b
    shell13b Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Sidewalk...unless I go to our park and they have trails for us :) But be safe and sidewalk it!
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I always run on sidewalks, that's what they're there for. Roads are for cars and bikes, sidewalks are for all other pedestrians. Running in roads just impedes traffic and puts you more at risk to getting hit.

Where I live, EVERYthing is for the vehicles--the roads AND the sidewalks. They park there and ride motorcycles there, etc. I do whatever makes sense. I try for sidewalks (going around countless cars parked there), but end up in the road when I can't get around the parked cars & motorcycles.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    If they exist, sidewalks.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Residential, quiet roads. Much softer on the body AND kept better than sidewalks, especially in winter.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I prefer the road. It's more even and the material the use on roads vs. sidewalks is softer.
  • AHack3
    AHack3 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I prefer the road (asphalt or dirt), both much better on my knees. I only run on the sidewalk if I have to.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    If its a busy street: sidewalk

If it is not a busy street: road, on the side where cars are coming at me so I can see them and jump my *kitten* back on the sidewalk.

If it is not a busy street but the street is bowed (like the slant of the road goes noticeably downhill towards the curb) : sidewalk, causes too much pain over time with the angle differences on my knees
  • RunWinterGarden
    RunWinterGarden Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Don't be one of those people who run in the road when there is a sidewalk there, all you are doing is impeding traffic, even if it's not a busy road.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Depends what the road is like. If I'm in an area where there is hardly any traffic and a pavement I go road as the road surface is normally better. I though run a lot of areas that have no pavement so no choice mostly. No matter what though safety is first if you're running on roads run directly into traffic and make sure you can be seen on these short days. Just use some common sense of its a busy road and there is a pavement use the pavement safety wins over a smooth surface every time
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid running on concrete whenever I can. It's a lot harder on the knees and other joints, than running on asphalt.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Pavement (that would be an English Sidewalk :) ) for me generally.
    I'm always impressed by the arrogance of so many runners that don't make allowances for other traffic - running in the road where there are cars using it, not looking when crossing side streets and presuming that cars won't hit them because they have high vis and so on.
  • minnie116
    minnie116 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm a keen runner and live out in the country. Over the years I've stuck to the pavement ( sidewalk) when one's available but if one isn't just make sure that you run in the face of on-coming traffic so that you can be seen.

Having said that the beach and the forest are my favourite spots to run now....no traffic :-)
  • bitsinator
    bitsinator Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Sidewalks where they are available, roads where they're not. Some of my routes have stretches without sidewalk, so have to risk some road to get to the next sidewalk.

SAFETY TIP: If you must run on roads, ALWAYS run AGAINST oncoming traffic so you can see what's coming, and wear bright colors and/or reflective gear, even in broad daylight. Be a defensive runner like you would be a defensive driver ... never take for granted that a car is going to give you extra berth, and always be ready to dive out of the way. Unfortunately, lots of drivers are oblivious to pedestrians, and still more get angry and try to mess with them. Your life isn't worth any risk you don't have to take.

Be safe out there!
  • johhunt47
    johhunt47 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Although temporarily relegated to a treadmill due to crappy winter weather (piles of snow and near 0 temps), I try to use the sidewalks and grass as much as possible. One--to avoid lingering car bumpers and two--I've found that running on the grass does help with joint discomfort while helping with muscle development (uneven ground forces your muscles to react differently than running on a flat surface).

Leave the roads for the cars...as someone who regularly gets behind the wheel, I hate it when people run on the street and impedes traffic.
  • scottyg70
    scottyg70 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    For safety, the best bet is the sidewalk, but if you ask any running coach or veteran they'll tell you it's worse on the body to run on the sidewalk.

I usually run facing traffic on the road. I run early in the morning so I make sure I am visible. I wear visible clothing and wear a Noxgear Tracer 360 LED vest. The concrete sidewalk is definitely harder than the asphalt on the road.
  • johnsonb0921
    johnsonb0921 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Where I live (Chicago) - sidewalk, always. I see these fools running in the bike lanes (with the flow of traffic, no less), and it really rustles my jimmies. Not only are you just running out in traffic, but when I am bike commuting I have to take the car lane - putting myself in danger - to pass your selfish butt! Also, cars are not looking for runners in the street (they're BARELY looking for cyclists), and so they are really putting themselves at risk. Drives me nutso. :\
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options

False. No they aren't. I have run 34K miles over 25+ years and avoid sidewalks at all costs unless I have no other choice. There is a reason for bumper stickers that say "share the road..with a runner".

The reason for advocating using roads is not about confrontation it is about injury. The force running on asphalt is significantly less than the pounding you take on sidewalks. Run on sidewalks enough and you are going to get hurt. Now if you are a 2 or 3 time a week jogger going short distance, then forget this advice. But if you want to run and perform at your best, find the surfaces that allow for that.

Clearly you don't do something stupid and run in high traffic areas, but for the most part if you are out there early enough you have plenty of room even if a few cars go by. And who says you can't just run on side streets? I ran 5.7 miles this morning and less than a mile of that was on a road with traffic. Some parts I stayed on the sidewalk, but otherwise I was running in the face of traffic on the road.

I hear some comments about running on sidewalks because they are more level, and that is certainly true but unless the angle is fairly dramatic this is a non issue.