Any swimmers have chlorine issues and solutions?

Options
I find that when I swim at the gym, the chlorine makes me itch like mad. But I'm not allergic to it. (Per allergist) Some things that I've researched and tried didn't really work. Such as washing with an anti-bacterial soap both before and after swimming, using lotions, using an anti-hystemine cream on the particularly itchy areas, and those were really about all I found.

I did discover it wasn't as bad if I didn't use the gym's soap at all. Still a minor irritant but not where I'm scratching bruises into my skin like I was. We have a shower at work and I'm thinking of putting together a second shower kit to take to work and reshower there as well. I think the gym is also over chlorinating or over treating their water in the gym.

Anyone else have problems with chlorine and have solutions that work for them?

Replies

• WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Make sure you shower right after the pool, wash the chlorine from your skin as much as you can and MOISTURIZE! You're prbly itching because it dries up the skin like mad.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    the facility is probably over or under treating the water. register a complaint.
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I do have an allergy to chlorine, get hives and very itchy. I take an anti-histemine before i get in. I know your allergist said you weren;t allergic, but you could try it?
  • kzivic
    kzivic Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I grew up a swimmer and the chlorine would make me itch like crazy. There is a shampoo called Ultra Swim that used to make a bar soap that always helped me. I'm not sure if they still make it or not.

Now, I use Aveeno oatmeal bar soap and shower as soon as I get out of the pool and the Eucerin calming creme lotion helps to calm the itch.

Hope you're able to find something that helps!
    Good luck!
  • alvtine
    alvtine Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Chlorine dries my skin out a LOT, maybe that's part of the itchiness issue you're having? I would try using a moisturizing body wash and/or also putting on lotion after you're out of the shower. I hate taking the time to put lotion all over myself, so I try to find some sort of creamy, really moisturizing body wash, and just stick with it. Olay makes a couple with 'ribbons' of moisturizers in them that really help me!

If you're having any issues with your hair/scalp, my favorite shampoo after being in a pool is this one L'Oreal makes for kids called Swim & Sport, it's pretty easy to find most anywhere that sells shampoo. It smells great and it's in a silly bottle that looks kinda like a fish. :)
  • KHalseth
    KHalseth Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I do have an allergy to chlorine, get hives and very itchy. I take an anti-histemine before i get in. I know your allergist said you weren;t allergic, but you could try it?

Benadryl helps after wards, taking one before couldn't hurt. Just makes me sleepy at work.
  • KHalseth
    KHalseth Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great ideas. I'll check out these products and see if there is one that helps. I do shower after my swim because I go to the gym before work, so I shower and get ready for work there. I like the idea of a moisturizing body wash so I don't have to spend extra time with a second lotion. Because I usually don't have a lot of time. I don't get to swim as long as my roommate does because it takes me so much longer to shower and get ready for work. And I don't even do that much. It's blow drying my hair that really takes so long. But I'm not going outside in below freezing temps with wet hair.