Heart Rate Monitor - Which one to buy??

Options
I'm sure this topic has been discussed numerous time so sorry if I'm being repetitive. I really would like to purchase a HRM but not sure which one to get?? I keep reading on line that the ones with the chest strap are the best and most accurate. I would be using it when doing kick-boxing/step/circuit/yoga. My original assumption is that might be annoying to have the wrapped around me but I want accuracy also. Thoughts/suggestions from anyone? Thanks!

Replies

• FierceLisa
    FierceLisa Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7. I LOVE it. It comes with a chest strap. It's very comfortable. You forget that you have it on. It's adjustable. Me & the Hubby both have one. It's very easy to use.

This is where I bought mine & the hubby's. I like how you can pick the size of the chest strap.

http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/90039172-h1.html?productid=90039172-h1&channelid=FROOG&utm_source=CSEs&utm_medium=GoogleShopping&utm_campaign=heartratemonitorsusa&gclid=CO3_3ePYlLwCFQdnOgodv0UA2g

Company's Website:

http://www.polar.com/us-en/products/get_active/fitness_crosstraining/FT7
  • loconnor466
    loconnor466 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I got the Polar FT7 for Christmas and love it! I wear it during circuit training and jazzercise. Honestly, after the first time, you don't even notice it! I am in a contest to lose inches over a six week period, the prize is the new Polar loop which looks like it combines both an hrm and a step counter/activity tracker. I want to win!

BTW, I have found that using an HRM gave me accurate results and are always lower than the general MFP calculations. For example, 1 hr or jazercise is like 635 calories on MFP, but depending on how hard I hit it, it really comes out to between 400-500 calories burned on the hrm.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Any of the Polar HRM are great, I have personally owned the FT7 and Now the FT60 which I love... The FT4 is also a popular starter model..... You really get use to the chest strap, I hardly realize I have it on anymore.... Best of Luck....
  • The_Sandra
    The_Sandra Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 and I like it so far. The chest strap basically goes under my sports bra strap, and I find that I don't really notice it at all. It's more accurate during steady-state aerobics, so I'm not sure how it would work for cardio. I know that when I've used it during weight training, it beeps at me every time I'm not in my target heart rate zone, which is annoying. Might mess with your zen ;)
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I don't have advice on accuracy or functionality because none of the HRMs I have are what you are looking for, but I have used two different chest strap models (Garmin GPS and very old Polar HRM) and an arm band model that is part of the PS3 EA sports package. As far as comfortability, I definitely prefer the chest strap. It fits right in the "shelf" of my sports bra and I don't even know it is there, while the arm band one is very bothersome. Sometimes I need to lightly wet the chest strap in order to get a reading at first.
  • Mizzhill
    Mizzhill Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I really like my Polar FT4.