Obesity and running

Options

Replies

• choffman1298
    choffman1298 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would certainly recommend using a C25K App. I was never a runner, but that app helped me complete my first 5k last year! Slow and easy wins the race!

*If you look in the APPS section of MFP, there is a C25k listed.
  • levicrouch
    Options
    How much did you weigh when you started running?
    268lbs

What did you do to build up enough stamina to run?
    I ran

What exercises are beneficial for someone wanting to run but hasn't started yet?
    running, walking, swimming (IMO)

Start by walking then 'run' a bit. Then 'run' a bit more each time.

I use quotes around 'run' because when i started i tried to run fast. I don't recommend attempting to run fast. Just start out with what me and my kids call 'old man running' keep your strides short and don't strike your heel (land flat and roll forward). Once you feel comfortable, you can start to increase your stride, but never strike your heel when you run.

If it hurts when you run, you are doing it wrong!
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    similar story...i was at 260 when i first started with the c25k app last Feb...i did it only for a couple of weeks before i shifted gears to train for half marathon. I did not listent to advice and spent most of last summer with severe shin splints...much of which i foolishly ran through. moral of the story is Yes you can run at your weight...but do it slowly and listen to the body.

btw ive done 3 half and several 5k's since then and I feel great (though slow).
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I have never been over 180lbs... so I'm not sure if my post will help... but according to my BMI (which I put very little emphasis on) I am obese. I started running at 180.... and my typical run time is about 11-11.5min/mi now at 172. I run/walk but I'd say I really saw an improvement on my stamina after about a month of regular running 2-3 times each week. How do you start? You just do it. Run as long as you can... walk to catch your breath... run again.

I've been running for almost a year and I typically run for a song (3-5 min), walk for about 1 min... then run again. My usual distance is 1.5-2mi/day. I run twice/week. I don't want to put too much emphasis on cardio as I'm losing weight because I'm really trying to focus on lifting. Good luck!
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I was 320 lbs when I started running.

I used C25K to start, although I had to repeat the first few weeks many times over. Which was fine.

I ALSO worked very hard at weight training to build up the muscles in my core and legs, especially around my knees. I did a lot of squats, lunges, calf raises, various weight machines, even at my heaviest. They weren't easy but in about a month I stopped having soreness in my knees and about three months to stop having pain in my back. By the way, I kept in touch with my doctor through all this and she knew and supported what I was doing. She knew the pain I felt in my right knee and back was because of the muscles being too weak to support me. Strengthening them took away all pain. But that was just me - everyone is different.

My advice? Pay good money for good shoes that you get fitted for at a speciality running store. The shoes I have support heavier people putting a lot of pressure on the shoes. They were a life saver and stopped me from having foot and ankle pain.

Start slow. Very slow. Seriously - only go as fast as you need to not be walking. Start out slow so you can concentrate on breathing (deeply, into your stomach thru your chest and slowly) and on how your foot strikes (you can look up good articles that will show you how your foot should be striking and the best ways to breathe.) Most people way out of shape when they start go too fast and end up gasping for breath quick and shallow into their chest. This was my early mistake and I always felt like I was going to die when I was running. Go slow. Breathe deeply and slowly. Listen to your body for real pain and stop when you feel it. C25K is a great way to start, but accept that you might not be able to do Week 1 yet and that's ok. Keep working on it until you can.

I also strongly recommend you talk to your doctor about what you want to do so that they can caution you about things you might need to watch out for. But don't let anyone tell you that you can't run because you're too big, not unless there's a real medical reason for it. It might be harder for us, but it'll be very much worth it. Then sign up for your first 5K!
  • hkristine1
    hkristine1 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the answer is to your question about when you should start running - but in the meantime, here are some exercises my sports injury doctor gave me to strengthen my hips to make my body more friendly to running (I got injured due to hip weakness). As long as you start slowly and listen to your body, you should probably be ok.

This routine is called the "Myrtl" routine. It doesn't take a lot of time (5-10 minutes).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GLrKr54yA0
  • Tomahawk3Niner
    Options
    I started my weight loss back at the beginning of December @ 260lbs

I did a LOT of walking all through December and into January.

I started running last week, at 235lbs or so (I didn't really relate my running start to my weight, I went when I felt my really screwed up ankles could handle it)

I am using the ZenLabs C25KFree app on my android phone.
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    That app is the main C25K app and the one I like. Like you, I'm a recent runner and am very heavy. I read a lot of beginning running books while I was getting started because I'm a nerdy sort.

Some books recommend being able to walk at a brisk pace for 45 minutes before you start a running program just to make sure your joints/muscles can handle the stress of running. After that select a running program and stick with it at your own pace.

Since I was so unhealthy when I started, I decided to run each week twice before moving on. Yes it's slower but I feel totally ready to take on the next week and I'm in it for the long haul.

A really great book I checked out from the library was Run Your Butt Off by Leslie Bonci. I actually switched to this running program from the C25K app. They are very similar but the RYBO program has smaller jumps in time which I find more manageable.

Good Luck!
  • scottyg70
    scottyg70 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I am checking out a couch-to-5k site now. Is this a good site to use? http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Yep, the Active app is a great app to use. And don't feel like you have to move on just because you got to the third day of the week. If you get to a point where you're struggling, then do that week or day over. No harm in that.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I was 6'5" and weighed 300 pounds. I started very slow and very privately. I ran until I had to walk, then ran when I felt recovered enough to do so. Then, I tried to close the gaps between periods of running.

Be careful and pay attention to your body. Eventually you will learn the difference between the discomfort of excercise and the pain of injury.
  • srobertking
    srobertking Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    If you have a smartphone try out the app rundouble for its couch25k program. It helps you build up to a half hour of running. The great thing about it too, if you find you're not ready to move along to the next level, you can repeat days as often as you need. I did week one twice.
  • easto_79
    easto_79 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I started running just 2 weeks ago after losing 40 pounds, still at least another 50 to go.

I started with 1min run 2 min walk for 30 mins, I'm doing 1 min run 1min walk now for 30, next week will be 2min run 1 min walk and on wards!!

You can do it, listen to your body
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i'm obese and i run. i probably have 30 more pounds to lose before i'm just considered fat.

if it's too much for your joints, try pool running until you lose a bit more weight.

it's also important to make sure you're wearing the appropriate footwear to support your gait and cushioning needs.

start off slow. you can always get better at running, but if you start too fast too soon and risk a joint injury, those are very hard to heal
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I would definitely *not* run at your weight; you have a very good chance of seriously f***ing up your knees and needing a knee replacement years before they want to give you one. Trust me on this. :cry:
    Walking is very healthy; you can always start running when you're down a good bit.
    Good luck!

ETA: running in a pool would be a great compromise!
  • amcozy
    amcozy Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    My mother started running weighing 420lbs... yeah it was in a pool, but she still booked it around that gym pool like no tomorrow. You just need to listen to your body. I started running in 2011 and even a mile felt like a marathon - the more you do it the further you'll go. Just watch for the signs your body gives you and you'll be fine. I've run 3 half marathons now - who knew? Good luck!
  • annemw82
    annemw82 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I started running at about 265 lbs. I did almost all my runs on a treadmill for the first year and did intervals similar to couch to 5k. When I hit the pavement it was a completely different experience so I would encourage you to do both from the beginning. Like others have said definitely consult your doctor. Also I think it is important especially if you have joint pain to get fitted for shoes at a running store. Also listen to you body and don't overextend it. You can tell the difference between sore muscles and discomfort versus injury. I have an old knee injury and when I first starting running I was in the wrong shoes and not listening to my body. I re-injured my knee and had to start over. Not fun. As far as exercise goes any kind of cross training is awesome and things like squats and lunges are great to build up strong leg muscles. My only other advice is to set a goal to work towards like register now for a 5k fun run in a few months. It will give you motivation to keep going especially since there will be those days you really want to quit. Best of Luck!
  • Jg04811
    Jg04811 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I started at 290 pounds with the couch to 5k program. It really help me build my indurance to run a 5k and not stop.
  • bkbenda
    bkbenda Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    If you want to run without killing yourself start with walking. Build up your walking base, and at a fast pace, not a gentle stroll. Once you have that walking base then start something like C25K. After that, Run Forest, Run!!!!

I am a fan of building your walking base!

I started the C25K without having a walking base. It was extremely difficult and I had to repeat several sessions. I decided to step away from the C25K and focus on building my walking base. Once I was able to walk 5 miles at around 4.7 mph every day, I decided to start back at the beginning of the C25K program. It was a success! I now run more than 5 miles daily and up to 10 miles non-stop.

Enjoy your walks/runs and your successes. Some days will be records while others are just a struggle to finish. Don't rush it and run SLOWLY (speed will come over time).
  • Byemyfatself
    Byemyfatself Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    You all are awesome! I thank all of you for your time and great advice. :flowerforyou:
  • zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I waited until I had moved from "obese" BMI to "overweight" BMI. I didn't want to put my joints through the additional stress of the extra weight. To prepare for running, I did low impact exercise to strengthen my muscles and start working my cardio up - lots of brisk walking, and swimming lengths.