How did you help yourself stop binge eating?

Options
And do you have any tips for people that do?
I know it's terrible for me and my health. I dont know what to do, i cant stop no matter how hard i try.
I dont realize I'm doing it until after i have finished eating all of it.

Replies

• kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    The best piece of advice I can give is to not keep the foods you binge on in the house. Easy for me, as I am a widower whose children are all away from home, but I realize that might not be as easy for a lot of you with families.
    Maybe keep those foods in the garage, so it's a trek to get them, and that gives you thinking time on your way? This would still allow those foods to be available for family members.
    Another thing you might try is to drink a big glass of water when you feel the urge. Sometimes our bodies are thirsty, not hungry, and if you drink some water, that urge to binge may be aleviated.
    Kaye
  • Jkn921
    Jkn921 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I always go through a period of non-stop eating and the way I've got out of each time is: do exercise. It breaks the pattern and I feel myself becoming sluggish due to large consumption. I also keep my room/kitchen healthy as possible and don't allow foods to arrive till I've done a fair amount of exercise as a normal one/two chocolate per week.

It's a slow process but as you increase your exercise levels, you can come out of it - that has always been the case for me. Then a few days later you will just realise you're back on track. Stay strong.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    First, therapy helped resolve certain issues.
    Then, exercise.
    Then eating enough to sustain me and eating regularly.
    Finally, keeping all the major binge foods out of the house till I had more of a handle on my bingeing.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    This is a struggle, sometimes the urges are just really strong. I agree about keeping tempting stuff out of the house if possible. Water is a good quench for alot of faux hunger. Another thing that helps me is a protein smoothie. I like the chocolate protein powders, mix with skim milk and ice, run it through a blender and you have a good size smoothie that fills you up for under 300 cals. That usually gets me out of an eating frenzy.
  • kjo9692
    kjo9692 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I've been right where you are and know how it feels. The first few weeks are incredibly difficult, but I won't say it's impossible. Just stay focused, be very conscious of every single thing you do every day, and most importantly of what you eat. Be very diligent with logging all your foods, eventually it's a habit and you will be aware of what you're about to eat because you know you'll have to log it in MFP.

Instead of going to the typical fast food restaurant you go to (if you tend to eat out) go to a healthier food place. Eventually you will not crave these foods you want so bad.

Always keep in mind your goals, and make them more important and stronger than your desire to eat. Every time I look at something that I know I'm not supposed to eat, I remind myself of what I want to accomplish and why I want to do so, and I simply decide not to over-eat. And I always keep in mind my rewards - getting into smaller pants, seeing my measurements getting smaller, and that keeps me motivated.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Don't go to buffets, and don't keep pre-packaged, ready-to-eat- foods at home.
  • tesha_chandler
    tesha_chandler Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    If I buy junk food for my kids, I buy things that I don't like.. lol Other than fruit and low calorie snacks, buy everything else so that you have to cook it to be able to eat it.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I have problems with binging too. And I feel terrible after I've done it. I would suggest doing something to take your mind off it for a while, like go for a walk or call a friend or do something, anything but eating. If you can get your focus off the food, you may be able to resist it. Also as stated, don't keep the binge foods in the house. If you have to go out to get them, you might rethink it. If you don't have a choice with them (i.e. you live with someone who wants chips but they're a binge food for you), ask that person to put them away somewhere you won't see them all the time.
  • GretaGirl8
    GretaGirl8 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    binge eating causes are different for different people. some people binge out of nutritional deficits. others binge out of emotion (happiness, boredom, fear, anxiety...). I would binge due to a combination of the two. I agree with keeping binge food out of the house, but I know from personal experience ANYTHING can become a binge food. My ultra healthy yogurt and bran can be a binge food racking up calories into the thousands. When do you binge? night time bingeing is a big one for many. Try to find activities that fill that binge time. If you binge out of nutritient deficiency, make sure you are eating enough food and a variety of foods throughout the day. Keep "go to" satisfying, pre-measured foods on hand to help you over the urges when they come on. I agree with logging your daily calorie intake (including your binges). Therapy is a great tool as well, but depending on your situation may or may not be an option. Good luck. You are definitely in good company. You can beat this.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I once upon a time used to binge. That was when I wasn't eating enough (1200 cals a day)

Since I've been eating enough I fit what I want in my macros and calories. Binges don't happen anymore.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Don't let myself get too hungry.
    Eat lots of protein (I am for 1.1 to 1.4g/lb of lean body mass).

That's about it. We always have stuff around because I have a skinny 17 year old stepson. So eliminating it from the house doesn't work for us.
  • tempehforever
    tempehforever Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Agree with those who say exercise helps--when I'm working out regularly, I somehow become more aware of my body and its needs. Eating better just starts to happen automatically.

Personally, I found that its better for me to not buy things that are pre-made and easy to eat a lot of. Even "healthy" foods like hummus, flavored nuts, cheese and crackers, and cereal are hard for me to have around. I can eat a whole tube of hummus like THAT. :) If I actually have to prepare a meal--chopping some vegetables, portioning out a serving, etc--I don't go overboard. It also helps to think of all the money you'll save by not devouring your entire fridge in one night!

Make a pledge to log everything, even on days you know you're going to go over your calorie goal. I go over at least once a week (and don't care), but because I log what I'm eating I'm at least more aware of what I'm consuming. I'll stop at one piece of cake instead of three. :)

Eat enough food! Every time I've tried to eat at a really low calorie range I've eventually felt deprived and rebelled. Don't let yourself get too hungry. Give yourself freedom to have days where you really eat until you're deeply satisfied.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I workout for my daily ration of peanut butter.
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I agree with the first responder. Don't keep binge worthy foods around. I got rid of all the candy and chocolate in the house. I almost had to get rid of the peanut butter too. :)

But in the end it just came down to willpower. You either want to binge or you want to lose weight. You can't have both so you need to decide which one you want more.

I try to remind myself that I am strong. I quit smoking and marijuana cold turkey after 15 years of going at both of them hard core. I know I can do this and that's what I tell myself when I think about eating food I shouldn't.
  • brklynchick81
    brklynchick81 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Regulate your eating patterns. I know I binge when I skip a meal and when it is easy to pick up easy food.

I try to plan my meals and if I am able to, when I eat them. This seems to help.

What also helps me is to ration the snack into snack bags that match a serving size and force myself to grab one and only one bag.

Otherwise, clean out your pantry and avoid the quick food runs to the convenience store if you can.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Keep your hunger/fullness scale between 3 and 7 (on 1-10 scale).

Eat plenty of satiating food like protein, fiber and healthy fats.

I think calorie counting lends itself to bingeing. There might be better weight loss methods for some.

I find I do well mentally with trying TO eat a certain variety of foods daily than trying to AVOID others. If you're full on produce and protein and it was tasty you're much less likely to binge at night than if you had a skimpy, unsatisfying lunch and are facing another meal like that for dinner.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i started doing binge push ups.
  • mboromom
    mboromom Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Plan your snacks, plan your meals and log log log. One of my triggers is when I'm cooking dinner, while I'm waiting on water to boil or whatever I would raid the snack cabinet and start a binge...now I save one of my daily snacks for that moment because I know that I have a hard then. So as I cook I would munch on some string cheese if I'm craving something salty, or some portioned fruit or cookies (counted out) and satisfy my craving before dinner. You don't have to torture yourself, just plan ahead and make sure you log and the snack is within your daily allowance.
  • mboromom
    mboromom Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Keep your hunger/fullness scale between 3 and 7 (on 1-10 scale).

Eat plenty of satiating food like protein, fiber and healthy fats.

I think calorie counting lends itself to bingeing. There might be better weight loss methods for some.

I find I do well mentally with trying TO eat a certain variety of foods daily than trying to AVOID others. If you're full on produce and protein and it was tasty you're much less likely to binge at night than if you had a skimpy, unsatisfying lunch and are facing another meal like that for dinner.

^^^^ This definitely helped too...eating more high protein foods, less empty calorie foods.
  • alexandriax03
    alexandriax03 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    And do you have any tips for people that do?
    I know it's terrible for me and my health. I dont know what to do, i cant stop no matter how hard i try.
    I dont realize I'm doing it until after i have finished eating all of it.

Make sure you're eating enough protein, fiber, and healthy fats (olive oil, avocado, nuts, etc.)

Structure your eating. Know when and how you're going to eat. A plan helps you avoid the situations or foods that trigger overeating.

Establish new eating patterns to replace destructive ones.

Exercise when you feel a binge coming on.

If all else fails, look into therapy. There are lots of support groups for binge eaters. Check out Overeaters Anonymous.