Would you rather run in 80°F or 30°F?

Options
A runner in my group just posted that she'd take 80 over 30 any day. Personally I'd much prefer 30 -- assuming it wasn't freezing rain or something.

What's the coldest and warmest temp (with normal humidity and no wind/rain) that you consider "comfortable" to run in for a long-ish run?

For me it's 25° and 75° (fahrenheit).

Replies

• ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    80 hands down. 30 dries my mouth out and I can't breathe or catch my breath.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    80 is okay if it isn't super humid. I can't even go outside at 30...I also had frostbite in my toes once, so I am SUPER paranoid about the cold.
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    80, no question. Whatever, I can live with sweat.

At 30 my chest aches and I can't breathe, and I get a pounding headache that lasts for about 2 hours. 30 degree temperatures are why god made treadmills.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    30. In 30, I'll start off cold but I'll warm up. I can also shed layers if necessary. In 80 I get way too hot.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I'd pick the 80 over 30. My ideal is anything above 50 and below 75 but I have ran in as cold as 20 degree weather and as hot as 110!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    30. Hands down. I do not transfer heat well.
  • scottyg70
    scottyg70 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I've run in both but I prefer 30. Hell, my dumb a ss is going out tomorrow morning when it's 5 degrees. I have found that the best temperature, for me at least, is when it's in the low 50's. Nice and crisp but you can still wear shorts.
  • EEfromJersey
    EEfromJersey Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I like 80, the heat, the humidity in the summer bring It on...it's a test but, don't expect your best.

30F is plenty good for me and you will get much better results.

I've run in the past & now that I'm back in full swing...below 20 is plenty good for me, I remember having runs in worse weather than that and when I was finished I had icicles at the tip of my hair.

Bottom line, eventually the sweat will flow with proper attire and it becomes just another run, and I run in mid 90's with super humidity.
  • Gingerspice45
    Gingerspice45 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    80 as long as it was a dry heat. I would prefer around 60 - 70.
  • heatherluuu
    heatherluuu Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Definitely 30! I can heat up, but I can't cool down. (There's a song in there somewhere....)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    80. i love running in heat as long as it's humid. i cant handle dry heat
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    30. Everyday and twice on Tuesday. 50ºF is perfect shorts and t-shirt running weather for me. 30, I'd probably just switch to pants. Above 70ºF, I start not to like it. I run hot.
  • boobeey
    boobeey Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    80 degree's I can stand a lot of heat but takes a long time to warm up
  • jennalink807
    jennalink807 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Wind-chill is -17 Fahrenheit today where I am. 30 sounds like a dream. Treadmill for me tonight! I'd take 30 over 80 any normal day, but I'd take 80 over the cold death that consumes ohio right now :)
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm not stealing anything in 80 or 30* I stay inside... therefore- I'm not running.

Because at this point the only time I run is when I'm running from someone.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I'd run in 30°F before 80°F !

Coldest I'll do is -10°F. Hottest around 100°F.
  • eaglefish
    eaglefish Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    30. In 30, I'll start off cold but I'll warm up. I can also shed layers if necessary. In 80 I get way too hot.

I agree with this lady 100%!!
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    Options
    30!
  • jannalovescoffee
    jannalovescoffee Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I never thought I would say this, but I think I prefer 30 degrees to 80.

30 sucks a little bit to begin with but once I've warmed up it feels good to unzip a few layers to get a cool breeze.

I'm kind of not looking forward to the summer months of running in 80+