Sugar Anger

Options
Is anyone else stuggling to not go over sugar "limit"? I swear I go over in sugars every single day, but it's mostly* from FRUIT! Bananas have a lot of "sugar" in them, but isn't that okay to eat?
*I say "mostly" because Peanut Butter is a regular contributer, too. Just 1 Tbsn can really jack up your sugar numbers!

For example, today my sugars came from whole wheat, whole grain flax bread, PB, the darn banana, and other fresh fruits. But I'm still significantly over my recommended levels.

Should I try to cut these out? Aren't these "good" things to be eating? (Am I just fooling myself?) What gives?

Replies

• naidanueva
    naidanueva Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Good question. I'm still trying to figure out that too (although I JUST started this week, I've known I eat too much sugar too...and it's in everything!). I'm interested to see what people will reply!!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    The sugar limit is ridiculously low. One bowl of cereal and 2% milk puts me over. For the most part, I don't worry about it. I know it's set low so I don't try to stick to it. But I do use it as a guide of sorts to help regulate the amount of sugar I consume.
  • sltx1002
    sltx1002 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My sugar is out of control. I was over my "limit" before breakfast was even over.

I always thought that the sugars from fruit would be better than sugars from candy bars. Like the complex/simple carbs?
  • deblu
    deblu Posts: 44
    Options
    I always go over my sugars but I don't pay much attention to it. I can eat yogurt and a banana and be over. As long as I'm eating healthy and losing weight I don't worry to much about it.
  • mynameisdumbnuts
    Options
    Yeah, I did a double take when my food diary told me my banana had as much sugar in it as my half-slice of chocolate pound cake. I'm consistently over my sugar limit, but as long as it's from fruit and milk and other healthful sources, I figure you're OK.
  • SlipperySlope
    Options
    It makes me feel a lot better to read your posts--thanks!
    Are the MFP limits ridiculously low or am I just used to eating ridiculously high levels of sugar each day?

I was thinking the exact same thing about simple/complex carbs...? I'm getting really frustrated with trying to keep it under recommended "dosages"!
  • rayfromtx
    Options
    This is just for me but I try to keep the sugars down to a minimum while eating good food. Sugar seems to make me hungry sooner while proteins and complex carbs last a long time. Oatmeal works well for me but cheerios don't. If I go over on sugars it is because of fruit. If I eat a lot of fruit, I combine it with complex carbs and protein to slow it down and make it last. I'll put fruit on oatmeal for bfast but never have it alone. I eat it after dinner but not by itself. The sugar roller coaster is not helpful even if it comes from fruit. Protein is your friend here. Just going over on sugar is not alarming to me as long as I know I combined it well. Ok, none of it is alarming to me, I just note what I'm doing and watch for it's affect so as to add to my knowledge of how these things affect my day and my body.
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I asked this question a while ago because it was bugging me too. I was hesitating to put carrots on my salad because it would put me over in sugar.

What I was told was that that number, the amount for "sugar", refers to ADDED sugar, not natural sugar. So your fruits and veggies don't count towards that number. Only added sugars do- whether you add them (like to coffee) or the company adds them (like in bread).

So I wouldn't stress about it. I stopped tracking that after I heard that and have not had a problem losing weight, even though I'm sure I go over on a sugar a LOT.