Would you rather run in 80°F or 30°F?

Options

Replies

• aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    30 without a doubt assuming there's no windchill on top of that. I had to google to see what that was in celsius; for me that's the absolute perfect temperature to run in.
  • angelamangus1
    angelamangus1 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    my best runs have been in the 30's. You start off cold but heat up by the end. in the end it feels 80! :bigsmile:
  • mochamommy
    mochamommy Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I would rather run in the cold. I hate hot weather. At least in the cold you will warm up
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    30, please. I'll go out it's 20 or warmer, and ntohing stupid coming out of the sky (snow, ice). Up to about 90 or so, then proper hydration becomes a factor. I'd rather just ride the bike in that kind of heat, easier to haul the water.
  • SilentBobF3
    Options
    I would very much prefer 30 to 80. Humidity where I live definitely has something to do with that, but it's much easier to warm up while running than to cool off.
  • KMasz
    KMasz Posts: 2,638 Member
    Options
    I ran two days ago where it was 1 degree outside and with wind chill it was -16... 30 sounds heavenly right now.. I do prefer cold running, I like to run to warm up but not get too hot.
  • mochamommy
    mochamommy Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    And I am in Texas. I actually love this weather...28 and falling... come on SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    30....keeps the mosquitoes and flying critters away.
    Don't mind the 80's either.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    One is tights, gloves, long sleeve weather and the other is light weight tee and short weather. The only reason I postponed this morning's run was 2 degrees with 15 mph winds is hard on exposed skin. Running at 120 degrees F or higher sucks too.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Definitely 30. I get overheated quickly in the heat so 80 is a bit too hot for me. My comfort range is 40-70.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Is neither an option? I'd take 80°F if it's dry and windy or if I'm on the west coast. TX humidity and there's not a chance. 30°F and it's not happening. I'm not even running from zombies at 30°F - they can have me. I had hypothermia after an obstacle event in November and I'm still pretty butthurt about it.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I'm in your range as well. 30+ is shorts and a long sleeve for me.

I'll take 30 over the 80+. I'm a big guy and the hot it too much for me sometimes, when its above 0 F, I can throw on a jacket and some running pants & I be near perfect in 5 minutes as long isn't too windy.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I hate the heat.

I will run in as cold as -10F. Any colder than that, and it's a rest day.
  • joesimtre
    joesimtre Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    65 - 70 is ideal. I'll take 80 over 30 tho. Hottest ever 102, coldest ever 9 a few days ago
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    30 degrees for sure. My ideal temperature range is 40 - 50.

I've run plenty in the heat and humidity, and I can get used to it, but I SO prefer anything from about 60 down to 30.

I've run in temps as low as 15 (wind chill down to 0)... not my favorite thing either - but I still prefer the extreme cold to the extreme heat.

My best race was a half marathon where the starting temp was 40 and it was up to about 48 by the time I finished.

My toughest race was a 10 miler where the temperature at the start was 85 degrees with 95% humidity... THAT was a slog!
  • RunWinterGarden
    RunWinterGarden Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I'd take an 80 degree day any day over a 30 degree day. But I also run during 90+ degree weather at night in Florida.
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    A runner in my group just posted that she'd take 80 over 30 any day. Personally I'd much prefer 30 -- assuming it wasn't freezing rain or something.

What's the coldest and warmest temp (with normal humidity and no wind/rain) that you consider "comfortable" to run in for a long-ish run?

For me it's 25° and 75° (fahrenheit).

-30 and 60 (fahrenheit)

Did 6 miles in -7 today (-3 by the time I was done), and it was super-comfortable. Tech fabrics are amazing. Conversely, there's just nothing that makes running in the heat better. Ummm, Except sprinklers. Lots & lots of sprinklers. I mean, you can only take off so many layers before facing indecency charges.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    80 before 30. But anywhere in that range is fine. Preference is for 60-90 because I feel uncomfortable if I run in long sleeves or a jacket. It feels like it bunches under my arms, and that's irritating.
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options
    30....keeps the mosquitoes and flying critters away.
    Don't mind the 80's either.

Texas girl here and we have mosquitos as large as infants. Still would much rather run in the heat.
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    I love running between 30*F to 60*F on a clear sunny day. Anything higher or lower and I don't love it but I run anyway.:happy: