Pregnant & need to eat better!

Options
So I'm taking the advice of my doctor & midwife and I'm now going to be watching what I eat instead of just eating whatever the hell I want because "hey I'm pregnant!"

Being clinically "obese", I have a calorie target of around 1620-1800 calls per day - even whilst pregnant. (If I hear anymore diet police go on about how I'm supposed to not be dieting right now and that I need to gain about 30lbs etc.... I kindly refer you to do some research first - or talk to my midwife / doctor before you post negative comments. A simple Google search will explain that obese women need to only gain around 11 -15 lbs throughout pregnancy or they'll be at increased risk of complications, most of this in the third trimester where you only need an additional 200cals per day) - sorry I've just heard nothing but negativity from friends & family who of course know better than the health professionals I'm under the care of! It's nutritional value which baby needs, not empty calories.

Anyway that's why I'm here. I would love to find some mums to be who are in the same boat as me. Nowhere else have I managed to find any support (other than my husband - but he's not exactly clued up on healthy eating), without people saying things like "so? Just eat it - you're pregnant you're allowed!" Or "now is not the time to be dieting! you MUST gain weight for the baby - it's a FACT"..... It's an ignorant misconception! If I'm going from eating 2500 calories worth of fatty crap, to eating salads and fresh fruit etc, then my calories are naturally going to drop, resulting in less weight gain throughout pregnancy, which is what my midwife told me the aim was - less weight gain rather than weight loss.

I'm trying to eat very colourful salads, lots of veggies & fruit etc.... But after looking at my food diary yesterday that quickly turned into an epic fail! Chocolate bars, biscuits & a giant bowl of sugar puffs found its way into my day.

I thought dieting was hard before pregnancy but with food cravings & aversions I feel like there's a brick wall in front of me! I desperately want to find people who love clean eating and are encouraging. I want to fill my food diary with lots of nutrient rich meals... I just fall off the wagon too easily. I did join Slimming World for a bit, but even then I had so many "friends" of mine act like I was swearing at them as soon as I showed a little excitement for having lost a little bit whenever I had a successful week. Personally I can't ignore the comments, especially being a hormonal wreck right now... So I've stopped talking about it all and I'm on here without their knowledge looking for support elsewhere. Hopefully I will find it!

Again apologies if I came across so defensive about what I'm doing - unfortunately it's gotten to this stage now for me! Xx

Ps, please don't read too much into my display name - I've been on here for about 5 years xx

Replies

• ChristiSykes
    ChristiSykes Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you...my midwife told me to cut ALL carbs and sugar and only eat all the protein and all the veggies I want. With my last baby she had me on 200 gr of protein a day to keep my BP down and it worked! All swelling went away and I controlled my BP.
  • jbastone
    jbastone Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    In the same boat ladies...my doctor has had me move up to maintenance but I have difficulty hitting my goals. I just found out I am pregnant with my 3rd and I am already 5.5 months along...I have lost 25 lbs since conception but expect that I will probably gain a few lbs in my 3rd trimester. Feel free to message me or add me and we can all support one another during this exciting but emotional time. Best of luck to you both.

35250411.png
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Have you ever been to Babycenter.com? you may find more women in a similar situation as you there. I loved that site when I was pregnant with my children.

Good luck and best wishes with your pregnancy!!
  • IWillWinSkinny
    IWillWinSkinny Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I actually have the Babycentre app! I never realised it has forums on it. I've literally just been using it to check my baby's growth. Thank you!
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    yes, Its great! They have lots of different forum or community groups from the month your baby is due, to different health issues etc. Its great for after the baby is born too! I hope you find it helpful!! Glad to help! :smile: