Oatmeal ideas?

Options
So I'm obsessed with oatmeal right now, I literally eat it EVERY morning, haha. I don't always add anything too it, I love the flavor itself a lot. I really want to try mixing it up though. Does anyone have any ideas?

Replies

• jenhenning219
    jenhenning219 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Dried fruit is always good or nuts like almonds for crunch fresh fruits work well too maybe some unsweetened cocoa powder or cinnamon this is what I do
  • Michiiba
    Options
    I blend 3/4 of a cup of oats and 1 scoop of whey protein and 3g of ground cinnamon then place the powder in a bowl and add 3oz of water to make a thick batter then cook it like a pancake.

It's a little bit tougher then real pancake but taste good and very filling.
  • tegalicious
    Options
    Peanut butter and banana and cinnamon! It is so tasty!!
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats cooked with a chopped up apple and cinnamon or even apple juice instead of water. When its done, add any of the following: raisins, pecans, walnuts, craisins, chopped dates (actually just about any dried fruit), maple syrup, brown sugar, shredded coconut, etc. It is a great weekend breakfast. Or make it on the weekend and warm up during the week.

For weekdays, I use regular oats and add chia seeds, raisins and cinnamon. The chia seeds will thicken it so you have to use more water and it feels like you are getting more.
  • lmhbuss
    lmhbuss Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    This. It really is great. I drizzle on a tablespoon of honey when I feel decadent and call it "Elvis" oatmeal.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    just add a serving of jelly/jam.. allows me to change up the flavor.. plus at 4am, it's a no brainer.
  • tegalicious
    Options
    This. It really is great. I drizzle on a tablespoon of honey when I feel decadent and call it "Elvis" oatmeal.

I don't like honey so when I feel decadent I add semi sweet chocolate chips when the oatmeal is still hot, stir and call it "Elvis" oatmeal lol!
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Raw honey is a very thick, opaque paste you have to scoop out with a butter knife, much firmer than peanut butter and has a sweeter, less-honey sort of flavor than processed pourable honey you find in the bear bottles. You can make honey oat balls, or use any nut butter and dust with powdered sugar.

You can also pulverize your oatmeal in a food processor and use it as the flour in cookies. It makes them chewy even after they cool.
  • RunningofftheEX
    RunningofftheEX Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    bump
  • KaylaBushman
    Options
    My favorite is taking frozen berries and nuking them til they are bubbly, and then dumping that over my cooked oats. Its like berry cobbler. DELISH!
  • dswolverine
    dswolverine Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I share your love of oatmeal and have it every day for breakfast! I add PB2, unsweetened cocoa powder, almond milk and a tad of vanilla extract. YUM! On the weekends, sometimes i'll treat myself to carrot cake oatmeal. I add 5-6 ground baby carrots, cinnamon galore, almond milk, vanilla extract, raisins, walnuts and sometimes a bit of crushed pineapple. Holy moly is that good.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I've been doing 15g of my peanut butter cup protein powder, two servings of dark chocolate chips, and oatmeal. This morning I added a banana, too. Very yummy!
  • christinemadden0223
    christinemadden0223 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I mix:
    1/3c oats
    1/4c grapenuts (for crunch)
    2tbsp-1/4c plain nonfat greek yogurt
    1tbsp vanilla protein powder
    1tbsp flaxmeal
    1tbsp each chopped pecans and walnuts
    1/3 c blueberries

mix the first five...add the next 3 on top= delicious, healthy, energizing! I rarely heat my oatmeal =)
  • bjg2993
    bjg2993 Posts: 107
    Options
    Golden syrup is always a winner, but then that's an English thing, not sure on the availability outside the UK.
  • leaner426
    Options
    I add in frozen blueberries (.25 to .5 cup) before microwaving the oatmeal. Then add a little maple syrup on top. It's my healthy version of blueberry pancakes.
  • Kmav1
    Kmav1 Posts: 2
    Options
    I agree, peanut butter and oatmeal is awesome!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I like steel-cut oats (imo, the "champagne of oatmeal") and I just put a dollop of organic butter on top and then a couple of soft-boiled eggs. The egg yolks and butter run into the oats and it is heaven on a spoon! :smile:
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    I like:

* 1/4 cup of Bob's Red Mill Extra Thick oats, 3oz. unsweetened almond milk. (I always start with this base, and microwave for 110 seconds)

Then add....

*1 tsp. dried cranberries, and 1 tsp. of unsweetened coconut flakes

* 1/2 oz. walnut pieces, 6 slices banana, 1tsp. real maple syrup, dash of cinnamon

*1/2 oz. almonds, 1 tbsp. strawberry preserves, dash of cinnamon

*1 tbsp. Strawberry preserves, 8 dark chocolate chips

* diced apple (honey crispy is my fav!), 1 tsp. buckwheat honey, dash of nutmeg, and cinnamon

....really options are endless!
  • mteague277
    mteague277 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Cook with almond milk instead of water and add some banana and a table spoon of dark chocolate chips. It tastes like an oatmeal cookie :)
  • naomijuliette96
    naomijuliette96 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    peanut butter and banana puree. Pure heaven!