Sit Ups

Options
Do Fat People with a big belly like me need to be doing crunches or situps. I heard so many different sides, for instant weight to you get the weight off, if you dont it will stick out more. Thoughts???

Replies

• PinkGemini612
    PinkGemini612 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Sit ups hurt my back, I prefer crunches. I think it's personal preference.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    You could also not do either and focus on deadlifts, squats and planks, etc.

They also work your core.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    unless someone is going a PT test- NO ONE should be doing sit ups or crunches.
  • eryquem
    eryquem Posts: 66 Member
    Options

Why not? I do sit ups to work my abs, just like I do curls for my biceps, overhead presses for my shoulders, etc.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    This. Waste of time. Many other more efficient ways to work the core. Deadlifts, for instance.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    My gut shrank without doing any sit-ups or crunches.
  • Scotland_forever
    Scotland_forever Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    hey,
    so I do have to perform PT tests. Whats the best way to increase my sit-up count? More deadlifts, squats, planks?
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    No

I can do 100 situps, unbroken, but because I weigh 240 lbs, I can never see any lower ab definition.

Focus on cardio and strength lifts. Core will get stronger with dynamic lifts and as you get lighter and lift heavier, your core will (unknowingly) be engaged more.

Add abs once your b/f gets lower.
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    hey,
    so I do have to perform PT tests. Whats the best way to increase my sit-up count? More deadlifts, squats, planks?

If you're doing normal 'situps', you also use a lot of hipflexor muscle when doing ab workouts.

To best engage JUST your abs, use an ABMAT and sit buddha style with the bottom of your feet facing/touching each other. Then lean back, do a situp, get up, touch your toes. repeat.

This will disengage your hipflexor and work your core
  • 1dce
    1dce Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    So i will put this out there just because ... I have taken Sports and exercise science and with that comes courses in yes exercise lol anyhoo situps mainly work hip flexors not abs, You will get a smaller stomach doing other things besides ab workouts. If you have a large amount of fat in the area it won't matter how many ab exercises you do they will not show until the fat is gone. :) Just my 2 cents
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    Get Ups and Half Get Ups. They work the abs and core in a much more natural and functional manner than sit ups. Plus, if you are overweight you are using more muscles doing either half or full GUs than you will doing sit ups, which means you're burning more calories. The added bonus is that unless you are really, really, overweight GUs ( half or full ) put you at an angle where your stomach isn't getting in the way of the movement. They are just a vastly superior way of working the same muscles in almost every regard.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention that bodybuilding.com has a data base of exercises, you can search by muscle group including abdominals. There are also lots of articles regarding each group as well that explain how everything works and why some exercises are better then others.
  • denisejohnson754365
    Options
    Well Wally, I have been doing crunches a couple times a week, after reading the posts here I am going to stop wasting my time and focus on some of the other exercises given and look at the information posted.xxoo
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Why not? I do sit ups to work my abs, just like I do curls for my biceps, overhead presses for my shoulders, etc.

but you aren't doing sit ups to work your abs- you are doing sit ups to work your hip flexors mostly.

It's like doing - oh lord I can't even think of a good comparison to your bicep curls.

it's just a shoddy exercise someone dreampt up one day because they were too stupid to realize there are about a bajillion other ways to fully work your core without endangering your back/neck and without recruiting your hip flexors to do 90% of the work.

it's just an inefficient exercise.
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options

but you aren't doing sit ups to work your abs- you are doing sit ups to work your hip flexors mostly.

It's like doing - oh lord I can't even think of a good comparison to your bicep curls.

it's just a shoddy exercise someone dreampt up one day because they were too stupid to realize there are about a bajillion other ways to fully work your core without endangering your back/neck and without recruiting your hip flexors to do 90% of the work.

Sometimes its just best to raise the white flag and move on...hoping eventually they will figure it out on their own JoRocka!!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

:drinker:
  • zilfig64
    zilfig64 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Having been there done that... my starting weight was similar to yours - my stomach measured in at 55". Don't do sit-ups - waste (or waist) of time - you will not see significant results that you want, and you will more than like hurt your back and/or be frustrated that you cannot do them (like I said - been there, done that).
    Look up and do a variety of exercises for your whole body - there are a ton of great excercises that actually will work a variety of muscles - abs, thighs, legs, chest, etc., and help you lose weight, which will eventually show your abs that have developed by working out smart (which means not doing sit-ups). Remember - you cannot "spot reduce" - doing sit-ups or cruches will not cause you to lose weight in your stomach. A caloric deficit will cause you to lose weight (and inches) all over, which for guys like you and me is carried mainly in our stomaches.

First Off - check out this website: http://simplesciencefitness.com/

Then read these past MPF posts: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read

Then you will be ready to put together a program for yourself that involves everything.

Also check out:http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary (it says for women, but the summary is what you want). A lot of people will advocate for 5x5 Stronglifts, and can be a good program, but is good to be educated about it so you can choose

Also, check out http://www.nerdfitness.com/ A great website about body weight exercises - just another option.

Good luck in your saga!! I am just over 9 months in - 67 lbs down, and stomach at 42 inches - if I can do it, anyone can!
  • 34blast
    34blast Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    hey,

To increase my count I did 2 or 3 sets of decline situps. I found this to help alot. So it's like big lifting, you do fewer reps but you are doing more weight per say. I like to do the situps basically vertical (upside down). Sometime you can hold a weight as well. This will give you more power and strength there. So if try like 3 sets of 10 or 15. If you are not strong enough you can do less decline or fewer reps. Warning, if you are not working your abs you might start a bit slow. They will get pretty sore if you over do it.

You will find in general if you are lifting heavy with the compound barbell lifts your abs and lower back will maintain themselves and improve quit well, but if you need a little more help try the decline situps. I'm not overly strong, but I have always tested at the top level in the situp test.
  • Scotland_forever
    Scotland_forever Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    hey,

To increase my count I did 2 or 3 sets of decline situps. I found this to help alot. So it's like big lifting, you do fewer reps but you are doing more weight per say. I like to do the situps basically vertical (upside down). Sometime you can hold a weight as well. This will give you more power and strength there. So if try like 3 sets of 10 or 15. If you are not strong enough you can do less decline or fewer reps. Warning, if you are not working your abs you might start a bit slow. They will get pretty sore if you over do it.

You will find in general if you are lifting heavy with the compound barbell lifts your abs and lower back will maintain themselves and improve quit well, but if you need a little more help try the decline situps. I'm not overly strong, but I have always tested at the top level in the situp test.

Thanks, right now my push-ups are in the higher range and the sit-ups are in the low range. Its weird that the feet have to be held down during sit-ups for PT tests. I will certainly try a few weeks of decline sit-ups! :flowerforyou: