Would you rather run in 80°F or 30°F?

Options

Replies

• Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I'm from the midwest, so I get exposure to both throughout the seasons, but I would prefer 30 over 80. I have ran marathons in both extremes, and saw many more falling out of the race and much more EMS activity during hot weather races than at cold ones.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    15 degrees and 78 degrees, any hotter and I feel like soup(yes turtle soup)
  • fitformidlife
    Options
    I would take 30 for sure. The heat drains the energy right out of me, and I'm a heavy sweater. At 30 I'll warm up quickly enough from the exercise.
  • doug_pierce
    Options
    Definately 30. I'll run outside 25-75. I won't run outside at 80.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I'd run in 30°F before 80°F !

Coldest I'll do is -10°F. Hottest around 100°F.

We need to start a separate thread -- would you rather run in 0 or 100!

Somewhere in the middle ?!? lol

Perfect weather would be around 58°F.
  • scribb
    scribb Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I would much rather the colder weather.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    The colder the better (to a point, usually 10°F and above). I'm a gazelle in the cold :)

You are always a gazelle! ;)
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    If I ran, 80, but I'm in Texas and 80 is pretty good around here :laugh:
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I'll take 30! I get a little slower when I have to bundle up, but that's only single digits and below. Coldest ever was -32 chill. Hottest was in the 90s (triathlon).
  • Amcolecchi
    Amcolecchi Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    It depends if it is 80 and no humidity I can do it. But if there is like 100% humidity no way. If 30 and no freezing winds or snow, I would do that too because you will warm up! So just depends on the circumstances but if I HAD TO CHOOSE...80
  • RoseGoldDinosaur
    RoseGoldDinosaur Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'd take 80 too! LOVE running in the heat! It sounds silly but I imagine I'm like superman and collect energy from the sun. Also breathing cold air hurts :\
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I would rather *sit* under an umbrella in 78 degree weather. With a drink.
  • brittaney0625
    brittaney0625 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    80! .. Now when it gets above 100 .. that is rough..
    When it is cold it makes my lungs hurt and hard to take breaths. :(
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I'll take 80 that being said my ideal time is to get out on the trail just before the sun comes up. Nothing better to me than a walk/jog at sunrise.......
  • brittaney0625
    brittaney0625 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I would rather *sit* under an umbrella in 78 degree weather. With a drink.

Now THAT sounds nice!
  • Changeisachoice
    Changeisachoice Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I agree with the 80 over 30 anyday! I cant stand when it is so cold that my lungs burn! no amount of chapstick keeps my lips from getting windburn when its this cold out,
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Definitely 30 before 80! Ideal temps for me are between 20 & 40. If it's 80 degrees out, I'm skipping my run and getting on the bike!
  • _runbitchrun
    _runbitchrun Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    80 for sure. I actually did all my best runs when it was hotter out. I wont go out below 30-35ish. Theres too many risk factors when its colder (ice and all)
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    30 degrees, no question (assuming no ice or other such hazards). I'm prone to overheat when running, I just can't transfer the heat, especially if it's humid. About 40 degrees is perfect for me. The other morning I ran at 15 degrees and was shedding my wool mittens, running jacket, and a core layer withing fifteen minutes. My coldest run was at 5 degrees, it just doesn't get any colder than that here. Hottest run was at 95 degrees with high humidity, not real fun.
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    As long as the sun is out, I love running in 30* weather!

I've ran in as low as 7*F to as high as in the 90's...and 90 is ROUGH. My ideal range would probably be 30-70.