Chia Seeds

Options
I am thinking about adding chia seeds to my smoothies but have a few questions for those who have tried them.

1. Do they have a flavor? If I add them to something is it going to throw the taste off?

2. What is their consistancy when added to liquid. What I've read says they swell. Do they have the mouth feel of tapioca/rice pudding?

3. Do you notice adding these help curb your appetite/keep you fuller longer and/or help with energy? Or is this just hype?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Wendy1Fl
    Wendy1Fl Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Once they have absorbed all the liquid they can hold, it is kind of like a slimier, softer tapioca pearl. I couldn't detect any notable flavor. I am a bottomless pit so no, they didn't make me feel fuller but I have read several other people say they found them filling.
  • MrsJS5
    MrsJS5 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I used to add them to my oatmeal. I would make the oatmeal at night and add liquid and the chia seeds would absorb the almond milk. It would give the oatmeal more of a creamy texture. Tapioca - like is a good description. I don't think they have a flavor but maybe a bit nutty. I really liked the consistency of the oatmeal with chia.

I stopped using them because there was some talk on the internet about them causing digestive problems with longterm use. I didn't have any issues but some obviously do.

If you just want to buy a little and try it, some stores sell it in bulk. Whole Foods was supposed to start selling it in bulk and Trader Joe's sells bags that I bet are less expensive than Whole Foods.

They did not make me feel fuller.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Once they have absorbed all the liquid they can hold, it is kind of like a slimier, softer tapioca pearl. I couldn't detect any notable flavor. I am a bottomless pit so no, they didn't make me feel fuller but I have read several other people say they found them filling.

This^ I do think they fill me up for longer due to more fat and fiber.
  • strongwoman84
    strongwoman84 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I stopped using them because there was some talk on the internet about them causing digestive problems with longterm use. I didn't have any issues but some obviously do.

Digestive issues like constipation or nausea?
  • MrsJS5
    MrsJS5 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Bloating and gas. I try to avoid these if I can :smile: !

Look at the WebMD page on Chia seeds. There are indications of possible side effects - but obviously almost any food can have a side effect and lots of people love chia.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Same as the others - they do not make me feel full. They are so tiny that even when they absorb liquid, they are still small. I don't notice them once they've soaked in a liquid for a few minutes, they just go right down, too small to need to chew. I don't cook, but I have a friend who uses chia to crust her meat and fish in rather than cornmeal to give it a crunchy coating. And to me they are flavorless, even when eaten raw by themselves.
  • strongwoman84
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I am going to see if I can find a small(ish) amount to just try out. Can't hurt, right? :drinker:
  • cactuswax
    cactuswax Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I use them every day in my morning oatmeal (base recipe - 1/4c oats, 2T oat bran, 1T chia, half banana, 1/2c almond milk, 1/2c water). They make oats a lot fluffier... and as someone who likes that extra volume, they're awesome! Certainly makes me feel more full.

No flavor to speak of, unless you use milled chia - which definitely has a stronger flavor (best for baking). I've never had any kind of digestive issue with them, except that they certainly keep you regular in a good way. They're also great subs for eggs in recipes if you're trying to avoid them or go vegan... 1 egg=1T chia in 1/4c water (let sit to thicken).

I haven't made it in a while, but there's a yummy dessert you can make with them... 1T chia mixed with 1/4c almond milk.. let it sit a while til it thickens, then mix in cocoa powder or cinnamon, and mix with raw coconut or whatever little sweet healthy treat you can think of. Might have to start making it again..
  • strongwoman84
    Options
    I use them every day in my morning oatmeal (base recipe - 1/4c oats, 2T oat bran, 1T chia, half banana, 1/2c almond milk, 1/2c water). They make oats a lot fluffier... and as someone who likes that extra volume, they're awesome! Certainly makes me feel more full.

No flavor to speak of, unless you use milled chia - which definitely has a stronger flavor (best for baking). I've never had any kind of digestive issue with them, except that they certainly keep you regular in a good way. They're also great subs for eggs in recipes if you're trying to avoid them or go vegan... 1 egg=1T chia in 1/4c water (let sit to thicken).

I haven't made it in a while, but there's a yummy dessert you can make with them... 1T chia mixed with 1/4c almond milk.. let it sit a while til it thickens, then mix in cocoa powder or cinnamon, and mix with raw coconut or whatever little sweet healthy treat you can think of. Might have to start making it again..

Thanks for the recipes and info! I have found a lot of recipes that call for them that sound delicious and healthy.
  • dgraboski
    dgraboski Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I love them add them to my oatmeal as well. I make it the night before. Like many others have said really no different in taste and it's very similar to a tapioca texture but smaller.

I only use them once a week.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds are great in a smoothie. I add them several times a week.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I mix mine in with my oatmeal for a fiber boost.

I haven't noticed that they keep me feeling any more full than oatmeal sans chia seeds.
  • glreim21
    glreim21 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I love chia seeds. I add them to my yoghurt every morning. I don't like them when they absorb the liquid so I eat them right away for a bit of crunch and texture. I would suggest the first time eating them, stay around a bathroom. They make me very...um....regular;)
  • strongwoman84
    Options
    I love chia seeds. I add them to my yoghurt every morning. I don't like them when they absorb the liquid so I eat them right away for a bit of crunch and texture. I would suggest the first time eating them, stay around a bathroom. They make me very...um....regular;)

Thanks for the heads up! I will definitely keep that in mind. :laugh:
  • ecsumaria
    ecsumaria Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I can't have dairy and I just read that Chia seeds have three times the calcium of milk! So I will be adding them into my diet as well and will stop with the (delicious) gummy calcium chews! LOL
  • miriamu26
    miriamu26 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've been adding them along with hemp seeds to my yogurt in the morning. I don't let them sit to swell because I like the crunchy texture. I'm not (used to be) regular but since I've been eating my meals with them I've become quite regular lately. As far as feeling full I can't really say because I love to eat! LOL
  • nightshutter
    Options
    I grind mine up in a coffee grinder. If you don't it's recommended to let them sit in liquid/foods for 30 min. To release nutrients. Grinding them allows you to drink them instantly. Also grinding them allows more nutrients to be absorbed in the body.

With chia. You will need to consume a lot of water or you can get constipated.

I learned this through research.
  • Mkmassey3
    Mkmassey3 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    bump :smile:
  • chatnel
    chatnel Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    um gross but I notice chia seed don't seem to digest with me. I mean I don't make it a habit to examine my "business" but did notice chia seeds in it this morning. Does that mean we need to grind them to absorb their nutrients?
  • chatnel
    chatnel Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    this was from a chia pudding- (soaked in almond milk for 60 minutes)