Would you rather run in 80°F or 30°F?

Options

Replies

• NicoleRaeB
    NicoleRaeB Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I prefer 30 weather over 80. I overheat way too easily and since I live in Idaho, I run in the winter (which is typically anywhere from 30 to 10 degrees) and swim in the summer (which is high 80s to low 100s).
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    80. I don't care if it is windy, humid, dry, or whatever.
  • 34blast
    34blast Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Good question, I would say 80 if its 30 and windy. Give me 30 if there is no wind. When it is 30, I have to wear pants and a long sleeve shirt. I hate running in anything but shorts and a t-shirt. I found I have to run a bit slow when 80 because of the heat. I use my heart rate monitor to gauge. I ran my fastest time ever, it was about 30. I think it was too cold to slow down!
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    30 is a lot cooler....
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I'd pick 30degs over 80degs, and 0 over 100

Running in the single digits on either side of the 0 mark (not counting windchill) this week hasnt been that bad. I have the right layers and coverage, my face (whats showing) has been fine. When it did dawn on me running that it really wasnt that bad .... the thought of 90, humid, and sweating every ounce of hydration out of me seemed more painful.

I hope May4 isnt a hot one ...Pittsburgh marathon
  • Erica262
    Erica262 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    What is "normal humidity"? I live on the coast of Virginia, so I don't think normal humidity is a thing here. I prefer 80 over 30, then just hop in the ocean to cool off :) Plus I hate dressing in layers. I know you can warm up after a few miles of running in 30 degrees, but I still really hate that initial shock "omg f*** this cold, I'd rather be horizontal on my couch cuddling a pot of coffee."
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I would take 80 and the heat any day. It is in the single digits today where I live and 30 degrees would actually feel good right about now!

The first person who complains about the heat on my Facebook page this summer is getting punched!
  • kristen2713
    kristen2713 Posts: 253 Member
    Options

I hope May4 isnt a hot one ...Pittsburgh marathon

Last year it was about perfect! Only mistake I made was not wearing a layer I could shed about 1/2 way through. See you there this year!! (In the crowd of thoussannnnddddsss) lol :flowerforyou:
  • ofccat
    ofccat Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I prefer cold/cool weather running as I overheat easily and do not sweat. It's easy to layer but I can only strip down so much - LOL
  • Rerun201
    Rerun201 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Depends on the wind chills and heat indices, or it did when I was an avid runner. When the temp approaches 0 degrees F, I would consider not running. Anything above 80 degrees would have me checking the other factors, such as humidity.

People usually do two things with the weather-***** about it or dress for it. You can always layer up, but you can only take off so much. So my vote is running in colder weather.
  • RunningForeverMama
    RunningForeverMama Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I would much rather run at 30 degrees. My favorite temp is around 45.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    80* here in the high desert of NM is really very comfortable...and really, just about perfect. I'd take it any day over sub freezing temps. I might feel differently in a more humid climate.

30* here is pretty cold....we actually have a high of 35* today and I opted for the treadmill at work (plus it's windy)...our average highs this time of year are in the low to mid 50s though...so yeah...30* feels dang cold. I have to say though...I love being able to hit the slopes on a Saturday with plenty of snow in the mountains just out of town...and then enjoy a nice afternoon on the links on Sunday. I love this place...
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    80 anyday.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    in the heels or out? Tell me....operators are standing by...I'm a turtle I cannot pick up the phone!
  • IngridGurule
    Options
    80 Baby! I love to sweat, the more I sweat the more I want to Run! I have no problem running in a sports bra and shorts any day
  • babyshme
    babyshme Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    80 any day. It's has been in the 30's or colder in my area. I will not run in it. Crap, I will avoid going outside at all in this weather. I hate it!!! I can't wait for it to start warming up. Poor body won't know what to think when I start running outside again.
  • bmiller211
    bmiller211 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    you should also ask who is from a warm weather climate and who is from a cold one...I am from Wisconsin and 30 would be a heat wave right now...in fact about a week ago it was 30 and my wife and I ran outside...had to dadge the ice and puddles on the strrets and give the dog a bath after but it was heaven ...I will take 30 any day!!:tongue::laugh: :bigsmile:
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    you should also ask who is from a warm weather climate and who is from a cold one...I am from Wisconsin and 30 would be a heat wave right now...in fact about a week ago it was 30 and my wife and I ran outside...had to dadge the ice and puddles on the strrets and give the dog a bath after but it was heaven ...I will take 30 any day!!:tongue::laugh: :bigsmile:

Born and raised in New England but I'm from the Carribean at heart. It's 12 degrees outside right now and I never want to go outside again. :(
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    I'd take 80 degrees over 30 any day.

I am NOT a fan of the cold. I hate walking out to my car when I have to go to the gym. I couldn't imagine running in it. The coldest I'll run in (and probably have run in) is mid-40's/low 50's.
  • ccshopsalot
    Options
    For me I prefer hot weather to cold (anything under 50) I have asthma and the lung burn is unbareable.. the humidity and heat doesn't seem to effect me at all and i love that feeling of sweating everything out!