My last hope

Options

Replies

• Breylin
    Breylin Posts: 23
    Options
    I recently read a book for a marketing class and it taught me the law of 1%....even though it was about customer service..I think it can apply to anything. The law states that if you can improve every day, even if it's just by 1%....you are improving. Like everyone said, if every day I can change 1 thing to make myself healthier...then I will eventually reach my goal.
  • Greywalk
    Greywalk Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    going to binge on Carbs? Change mindset to got to earn those carbs. I have same issue but now am comfortable as I run a lot...why...runners get to carbload...big part of our diet. Happy me!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, my name is Brooke...this is my billionth time trying to get myself on a program to lose weight. All of my life it has been up and down...I have the craziest metabolism ever. It is not unusual for me to gain / loss over 10 lbs in a single week. When I was seriously dieting (Taking medication, exercising, eating healthy) i lost on average 10-14 lbs a week. Right now I'm sitting at about 30 lbs below my highest weight, so I guess that is something to celebrate! Still have a long way to go though...

My biggest problem is that I'm a total carbaholic. I eat bread and lots of it...bagels...toast..rolls..so dieting has been especially challenging because any time I have to give up carbs, I get disheartened and angry.

I just binge ate and now I feel so guilty that I want to join this and change. I don't like how binging makes me feel...I feel so sick right now. I'm too young to be doing this to myself...

Think of it this way. Unless you are literally eating thousands and thousands of extra calories consistently, it's not fat weight you are gaining and losing over the course of a week. It's water weight. A carb-heavy diet will cause you to retain water, so that's probably part of it. What you do need to do is find a way to think of food as something you are eating for energy, not merely for pleasure or to mask emotions. FInd something to replace your eating with, whether it be working out, calling a friend or going to a movie or shopping. You are on the right track, keep reaching out!
  • DiveGal
    DiveGal Posts: 11
    Options
    A lot of other posters made the points I would make except one. I personally believe that all those processed diet meals made it harder for me to lose weight. Even though you haven't had much cooking experience, try more fresh foods. It doesn't mean you have to cook them. Plenty of fresh veggies & fruit don't require cooking. I too have a sweet tooth and LOVE carbs. But I've cut way back on both sugar and carbs, no frozen diet meals, and have watched my portions and that seems to have helped a lot.

Regarding the treadmill, mine is in a room with a TV in front of it. Silly, maybe. But you do what you have to do until you get to a point where you start enjoying it. Before I got the TV hooked up, I used music while working out. The faster the better.

Welcome Brooke. Don't hesitate to reach out during your journey. Feel free to send me a friend request if you like. Good luck!
  • Breylin
    Options
    Runners are indeed a special kind of people...I have so much respect for it. I one time for fun tried running on the treadmill (Well, I put it to 6 mph) and lasted all about 2 minutes...still proud of myself for that but I do get winded / out of breath very quickly. I LOVE swimming but I do not have easy access to a pool...especially in the winter. I think my apartment complex will have a pool though, so in the summer (Moving about July / August) I can start doing that. I love doing laps.
  • Breylin
    Options
    Regarding the treadmill, mine is in a room with a TV in front of it. Silly, maybe. But you do what you have to do until you get to a point where you start enjoying it. Before I got the TV hooked up, I used music while working out. The faster the better.

I have my treadmill in my room facing out my window. We have a nice backyard facing into a forest, so I very much enjoy the view. It is also within viewing distance of my computer, so sometimes I like to turn on television shows and watch them while I work out. Watching tv shows takes my mind off of working out and usually they are 20-30 minutes long which is perfect. I tried playing videogames on my 3ds, but I end up having trouble keeping a steady pace and sometimes I even fall off :P I love listening to music, and I have the Pop Music Workout channel on my Pandora radio.
  • susanlee613
    Options
    I didnt read all the replys but dont eat carbs past 2pm. If you eat carbs late in the day your body doesnt have time to burn it off. My personal trainer has been the biggest help to me. Ive lost only 3 lbs but Ive also lost inches. Dont beat yourself up. Its not worth it. Find what makes you happy and do it. Good luck
  • Breylin
    Options
    I have a family friend who is also not eating carbs past 2 pm. He said that was the only change he made and he has lost 45 lbs total. I will add this to one of my list of changes to make (Not all at once, but good to refer back to)
  • Miffylou
    Miffylou Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Hi,

It sounds like you're not on your last hope as you have already made so many positive changes.

In regards to fish I absolutely love salmon and there are lots of ways to cook it, just google some recipes. I'm in Australia so fresh fish is readily available. Love barramundi, whiting and swordfish.

In regards to binging you've already worked this out. Look at why you're doing it. Emotional, habit or stress.

Best of luck, I think you'll do great. ????????
  • Breylin
    Options
    This may or may not be related but I watched it today and it was a great inspiration to me. I hope others find it motivating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXw3taqguiM
  • DiveGal
    DiveGal Posts: 11
    Options
    Hey Brooke, I also forgot one thing....

www.recipe.com

LOTS of great recipes!
  • Breylin
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all the support and information! My attitude has changed quite a bit in the past few hours. I am just about to hop on my treadmill and do my first official workout. Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

I'll be back in 20+ minutes to let you know how it goes!
  • johnny7625
    Options
    feel free to add me
  • Breylin
    Options
    Ok so I kind of skimped...but it was my first workout in over 3 weeks!!!! I worked my butt off though and I'm covered in sweat. I got really into the music and got up to 5 mph for a minute whoooo!! I am going to try interval speeds because I've read that helps boost metabolism? Also I get really bored if I stay at the same mph the entire time. I like increasing speed when the music speeds up and slow down during a transition / break in the music.

I feel great even though I only did 15 minutes...the only thing that made me really stop is I got a horrible dry burning sensation in my mouth. Does this happen to anyone else? I kept drinking water but it didn't help at all. I also got terrible stomach cramping but that's probably from binging earlier.

When is the best time of day to work out? Before or after eating?

I'm not going to say I'm disappointed that I only did 15 even though my goal was 20. I might fool around with going slower and for longer or maybe i'll keep doing what I did today. I hovered between 3 mph and 5 mph, up and down throughout.
  • michelletehae
    Options
    Hi Breylin
    I hear you loud and clear. I love my carbs too, it's the carbs that give me that satisfying feeling and not to mention how tasty they are. What I need is a buddy to keep me on track. A buddy that I can just txt or email for support and help (before I buy not so healthy food).

I am not excising at the moment and haven't been for 3 months now. My body is feeling really neglected and in desparate need of repair. I am eating healthy as much as I can. I have introduced my family into healthy eating healthy lifestyle.

I want to get back on the excising buzz again but can't seem to find the time. I have a 10 year old who catches the bus in the mornings at 8am, I leave for work at 8.30. and don't finish work until 6.30pm. By this time I am so tired. Excising is the last thing on my mind. All i want is a glass of wine and dinner.

do you have any idea's for me how I can fit in at least 30mins a day of excise without disrupting our daily routine

Thank you
  • Breylin
    Options
    Hi Michelle! It sounds like you live a busy life style! If you don't mind me asking, what kind of work do you do? Some tips that help squeeze in a little more exercise each day that I've found....park far away from the door (if you drive). Making yourself walk a little further to and from your car counts! Take the stairs instead of an elevator or escalator...on any breaks you have at work, take a little walk, even if it's only around the building. At my work there is a set of huge stairs that go up 4 floors...on my breaks I want to start walking up and down them...it's going to suck at first, but it will really help and get easier over time! Also if you don't work on the weekends, you could try doing activities that involve more exercise...fun family things like going to a park with a family pet, going swimming, playing volleyball or basketball ...taking family walks.

I am (hopefully) moving to SoCal in the summer and I am going to buy an annual pass to Disneyland...I will use it as a training ground ! :) Everyone knows how much walking there is at Disney and how badly your feet hurt. WIth an annual pass, my boyfriend and I will go as much as possible and walk around the park as our exercise. We will get to ride some rides in between, so it keeps it fun :) See if there is anything similar around where you live!
  • kaylerato
    kaylerato Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hey There,
    Yes I love carbs too,the good thing about mfp is their are realistic food list,that can help you find alternatives to your normal carb selections. WW has a very good bagel!....I eat this ice cream sandwich called Sammies,its only 180 calories....now I had to work hard on eating just one but im good now. Take some time one day and type in your favorities and then look for alternatives in the list,This has helped me greatly.Good Luck
  • tlebel75
    Options
    A good replacement for carb are protein shakes good for ya and keeps ya full :wink:
  • fortally
    Options
    Hi Breylin,

I'm new here myself - just joined a few weeks ago. You sound SO much like me! :) I can relate to a lot of what you said - especially the roller coaster part. I'll start working out and eat really healthy for a while - lose weight and fit in my skinny jeans - and then fizzle out. Then I gain weight, the skinny jeans go to the back of the closet, and I end up frustrated, unhealthy and miserable. Then - back on the wagon for another 'health nut' phase. But somehow I never seem to make it stick!

So I'm back at it again. But here are a few things that are helping me this time: no more all-or-nothing attitude. I'm trying the simple swaps route. Instead of reaching for the mayo I'll try mustard instead. Instead of reaching for seconds I go outside and throw the ball for my dog after a meal. Stuff like that. Just little bitty changes. Somehow that seems easier to manage.

As far as cooking - try for healthy meals that don't involve much cooking. Turkey sandwiches on whole-wheat bread (with avocado & tomato) are awesome. Healthy, whole ingredients with no cooking involved. I'm a big fan of no-fuss meals. If breakfast is scrambled eggs then my simple change is to add a cup of chopped broccoli. I don't even try for a fancy omelet - I just throw it all in there and scramble it up!

I'm SO out of shape that a couple of weeks ago I got out of breath pushing the shopping cart across the parking lot at Walmart. That was my kick-in-the-butt moment to change. But I'm not trying to kill myself with workouts this time. Working out every other day is awesome right now. 20 minutes on the treadmill with maybe a quick sprint or two is awesome right now!

Little bitty changes. Hopefully that will be something I can stick to in the long run! Find what works for you - what makes you happy and comfortable - and go from there!

Give yourself a big pat on the back for getting on the treadmill today! You're awesome! Best of luck!!