RUNNERS: Road or Sidewalk ?

Options

Replies

• KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    At 4 am, right down the center, on the crown (I don't wear headphones, so I can hear cars a good distance away). If it's later, I'll run on the sidewalk, if there is one available.
  • BakerRunnerBadass
    BakerRunnerBadass Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    Sidewalk, even in our small town I have almost been hit way too many times by driver's not paying attention. Just would rather be safe.
  • MatthewNSW
    Options
    I duck into the road only when there's a human roadblock on the pavement. Running on the roads seems to be to be inviting an accident, so I try to avoid it where possible.
  • W0nderGiirl
    W0nderGiirl Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I reside in the country, so sidewalks aren't much of an option. We do have gravel sidewalks but, who wants to run on gravel? So, I run right beside the gravel but, on the paved roads is where I run. However, there is the anxiety of checking behind your shoulder every couple of minutes to check to see what is behind me. If so, I run on the gravel till they pass. It's always good to be on the safe side but, I'm a daredevil at heart. :D
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    The issue for me with sidewalks is cracks, overhanging branches, and pedestrians. On a residential street I'll run in the road, on an arterial I will stay on the sidewalk, but sometimes hop onto the road if there are pedestrians on the sidewalk. Always run against traffic!

tumblr_inline_mjejfkndvN1qz4rgp.gif
  • chachabear79
    chachabear79 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Sidewalk. Road if that's all that's available in the area.dirt trails are my favorite
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    road 100%
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I will not run on cement. So.... if the sidewalk is cement then the road it is. If it's a nice asphalt sidewalk then I'll do the sidewalk. I always run with a RoadID however just in case I were to ever be hit by a car.

EDIT: I should add my road running is all neighborhood streets. I would never run on a major road with cars whizzing past me at 50 mph. That's just asking for it. But I do have nice asphalt trails that are off of major roads and crossing intersections can be a bit hairy, hence the RoadID.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    My road doesn't have sidewalks or shoulders, so I run on the road but into traffic there. When I get to the next street still no sidewalks but pretty wide shoulders so there I will alternate what side I run on because the road is slanted. Drivers in my area are very respectful of runners & walkers - I move as far over to the side of the shoulder as I can and they pull over into the other lane whenever possible. There's a lot of friendly waving involved.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Road where possible.

If traffic is really bad... sidewalk.
  • TammyW18
    TammyW18 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    generally I use the bike lane, unless I am directly in town (parking is on the side of the road) and the side walks are flat.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I run on trails about 90% of the time but when forced to be amongst the people and the cars, I run on the sidewalk.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I usually run first thing in the AM when traffic is not an issue. In the summer I'll run on the recreational (asphalt) paths in winter I prefer the road as the city usually does a better job clearing the snow. If I'm running in the evening when there is more traffic I'll use sidewalks when they're available.

I do agree that runners do not belong in bike lanes.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I reside in the country, so sidewalks aren't much of an option. We do have gravel sidewalks but, who wants to run on gravel? So, I run right beside the gravel but, on the paved roads is where I run. However, there is the anxiety of checking behind your shoulder every couple of minutes to check to see what is behind me. If so, I run on the gravel till they pass. It's always good to be on the safe side but, I'm a daredevil at heart. :D

You should be running against traffic, so on the left side of the road if you are in the states. The cars coming from behind you are on the other side of the road and not a threat to you.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I always run on sidewalks, that's what they're there for. Roads are for cars and bikes, sidewalks are for all other pedestrians. Running in roads just impedes traffic and puts you more at risk to getting hit.

Gah, yessss, THIS!

I live in a very active suburb of Houston and people run, in the dark, on the road, despite miles and miles of deliberately laid walking/jogging paths. It scares THE CRAP out of me when I am driving my daughter to the daycare and spot a runner last minute.

And, don't get me started on cyclists...I totally get that we have to share the road, but do ya gotta be so literal about it? A mile of traffic backed up on a one-lane road so Biffy McGoofball can ride smack dab in the middle of the street to get his burn/endurance training in and be well-conditioned for the Iron Man challenge, this year. Move over and let some folks by, will you?! *facepalm*

(Yes. First world problems, I know. I'm originally from Shreveport, so I really DO know.)
  • Bounce2
    Bounce2 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Both. I normally run early in the morning when there is very little traffic. I run on the shoulder or in the bike lane if there is one and always facing into traffic so I can a) dodge cars and b) get on the sidewalk so I don't endanger the cyclists by making them move into traffic coming up behind them. If you have ever commuted/ridden a bike in traffic you'll understand how important b) is. There are a lot of commuters and pro/semi-pro cyclists that train in the hills where I live so most runners and walkers figure out the rules for safety pretty quickly! :drinker:
  • krist3ng
    krist3ng Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I think it's a bad idea to run in the road. But then, I live in Queens, where we have lots of traffic and crazy drivers. Sidewalk is safest, just don't go barreling into people.
  • KateCon912
    KateCon912 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I used to live in an area with no sidewalks. My knees and ankles would hurt so much from running on the road. I would have to ice them after running only a mile. When I moved and ran on the sidewalk it was amazing. It felt so much better on my joints.

Now I have a treadmill so that's my choice for the winter :)
  • lucentabella
    lucentabella Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I live in a semi-rural area. We have no sidewalks. I have to jog on the roads. In some places, there is a shoulder for me to use. I get frustrated at the drivers (and there are plenty) don't slow down and give me space. smh
  • doubleclick_darling
    doubleclick_darling Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    For safety purposes, sidewalk where there is one. Thankfully, a good portion of the regular traffic is getting used to me being out in the morning, so they pull their vehicles up farther in their driveways during the night (or early in the morning before I go out) and they slow down when they pass me when I'm running on the side of the road, especially when I'm in the process of going around a street-parked vehicle. There's not a lot of traffic during my morning walks/runs, so usually just regular commuters (I've even got a few that are recognizing me, so I get a honk if I'm coming up on a vehicle to go around or they see me coming to an intersection just to let me know that they're behind me and a wave as they pass by). Nice drivers make for a happy DC when out and about.