New Here - 40 yrs old and 40 pounds to shed :)

Options
Hello,

I just turned 40 last October. I told myself that to honor this phase of my life I am going to make myself a priority and get the extra pounds off and get back in shape.

This is not my first go round with weight loss. Several years back I lost 50+ pounds and kept it off for a few years. I felt great, was in decent shape, very energetic. I made the mistake of thinking I could never get this big again - and then I had another child and a couple of major upheavals in my life and before I knew it, 40 of those pounds crept back on.

I know what I need to do and how to do it. I need to stop berating myself and start empowering myself again like I did the first time and that is where support is great to have :). The first time I did this I used another website, but I find I love the features and ease of use here more, so I am hooked on MFP now.

I'm always happy to give support and I look forward to making many new friends on here, particularly those who like me, struggle with emotional/stress eating and need to address the underlying issues beneath the weight gain.

Replies

• jeccawest91
    jeccawest91 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    You can do it! My mom is turning 47 and just hit her 25 lbs mark!!!
  • PamelaLavender
    PamelaLavender Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. Wishing you much success on your journey to a healthier you.

I'll send you a friend request.

Rylnn
  • miss_mckenna
    miss_mckenna Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You got it! And, we can all relate. Welcome!
  • harley_rose
    Options
    you can do it !!!!
  • nolakris
    nolakris Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hi! Congrats on 40! I hit it in November! MFP makes it so much more managable!
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 38 and looking to lose another 20-30 pounds the healthy way so I can keep them off. I definitely relate to you with the emotional/stress eating. That is my biggest battle, but I'm starting to make some progress and my diary is open. I will send you a FR, and I welcome anyone else to send me one:)
  • ataylorgardner
    ataylorgardner Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I will be 42 in May and have gained about 40 pounds over the last 5 years mostly due to side effects from chemotherapy but i'm sure age didnt help either. I too finally got to the point where i'd had enough and wanted to lose the weight so here I am. I dont know if I am a stress eater but I definitely have a tendency to eat when I am bored or depressed about something. It is a constant struggle but I have decided that I didnt beat cancer to be unhealthy the rest of my life. It has gotten a bit easier each day but its only been 3 weeks lol! This site is a great place to make friends and find motivation and support. you can do this and together we can all do this. Good luck and hope to see you around :)
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    welcome..I am 45 and just shy of 43 pounds lost...
  • modickson
    modickson Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I feel for you. I am in the same position. I just turned 42 and need to lose about 40 pounds myself. I have made the determination to "get it done". On top of that I want to quit smoking as well. Will try to be diligent with it all. :wink:
  • araksi5000
    Options
    Hi, I'm going to be 43 in June and I keep having this crazy vision of having my best body ever. I have two kids, (4yr & 7yr) and gained 40 pounds since my pre-mom days. My daughter (7) calls me 'medium fat' and I'm tired of being envious of the other fit moms at her school. I also have tons and tons of cute clothes I don't have the heart to give away. I tell my husband and mom that I'm saving them for my daughter, but I do have this wish of fitting into to them myself. Some of them are size 4, so I don't know if I can be that tiny again, but I want to see how it goes and focus on being healthy and strong. This is my third day on MFP and I love it! I feel in control and totally optimistic.