new to this!!!

Options
Hello, im just wondering if anybody could simply explain to me as im abit unsure on this:

I often have calories left over, say 100-200, but also i am always well under on carbohydrates, but usually always over on protein? & sometimes still over on fat even though i havent consumed all my cals! Therefore will i still loose weight if i go over on fat & protein but stay under or within my cals?

ANY EXPLANTIONS WUD BE A GREAT HELP!!!!

Thankyou.

Replies

• MariSama44
    MariSama44 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    those are just default settings, and its possible to change your ratios, I personaly think the default carb percentage is too high. You should be eating more protien, your protien intake is probably fine. You definently should try to be right at your MFP calorie limit though, but dont worry if it tells you you have carbs but are over in protien unless you have a specific goal set. Just use your head and dont eat WAYYY too much of one thing and not the other, you need a all of them but in moderation.
  • eileenscott
    Options
    Good advice MariSama! I'm usually way over on my protein and under on my carbs, too...when I actually come in under target, that is! If you're exercising lots and building new muscles you'll need high protein anyway, and it's the thing that signals to your brain that you're full.
  • morawjo
    morawjo Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hey! I saw another forum on this and someone said that you should just follow your calorie target and ignore the others (i.e. protein, fat, carbs etc). The calories are what you need to keep track of most.
  • hairy_bob
    Options
    Hey! I saw another forum on this and someone said that you should just follow your calorie target and ignore the others (i.e. protein, fat, carbs etc). The calories are what you need to keep track of most.

Well I guess there is a difference between just "losing weight" and "eating healthy"?
  • morawjo
    morawjo Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying ignore the other counters entirely, just that in order to lose weight, the main focus is normally on your caloric intake, as in, if you consume more than this, you will generally not lose, or gain. I'm a low carber, so I focus mainly on my calories and ignore the protein and carbs. Because I consume very low amounts of carbs and high amounts of protein, the protein/fat/carb counter turns red as a result on a daily basis. This is just my technique that works for me and may not necessarily work for everyone. And this does not necessarily mean I'm not being healthy. I drink protein shakes and eat chicken breast. These foods are not unhealthy, but I will gain weight if I consume too much of them and go over my calorie intake, like anything else. To each their own. I'm not saying go out and eat 1200 calories worth of sugar. I'm just saying, don't over-obsess on the protein/carb/fat counters as much...especially if you're a low carber like me.